Re: [ustav] Choir Guidelines

    Message 1 of 5 , May 28, 2011
      On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Fr. John Whiteford <
      frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

      > I was wondering if anyone has any written rules or guidelines for choir
      > members that could either post, or e-mail to me privately.

      Father, bless! It will take me a day or two to dig out the notes I made at
      SSLM, but in a pinch, there are several helpful sites on Google -- I typed
      in "Choir Rules."

      Kissing your right hand,

    • betsytumbas
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2011
        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John Whiteford" <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

        > I was wondering if anyone has any written rules or guidelines for choir members that could either post, or e-mail to me privately.
        >

        > Presbyter John Whiteford
        ----------------------------------

        Christ is Risen!

        Father, I would recommend that you post your request on the PSALM e-list. Anne Schoepp and Alice Hughes have excellent choir guidelines, and others have shared theirs as well.

        Yours in Christ, Matushka Betsy Tumbas
      • Vojislav Micunovic
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2011
          He is riden indeed!

          It would be good if you could share your findings on this list for the benefit
          of those who are not registered on other lists.

          In Christ

          Vojislav, a sinner

          ________________________________

          ----------------------------------

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
            Christ is Risen!

            Below please find Alice Hughes' e-mail sent to the PSALM list in February of this year which contains the choir guidelines.

            Yours in Christ, Matushka Betsy Tumbas

            ------

            Dear all,

            ...Back in the early nineties our choir developed a list of policies / guidelines for members. At the time folks were frustrated with each other and the directors, I believe, because of a lack of expectations and norms. The choir members themselves gave a lot of input, I think we sent around a survey that solicited input on a variety of choir related topics, like:

            1. How often do you think rehearsals are necessary?
            2. What do you think the ministry of singing in the choir is? (Why do
            we do what we do?
            3. Should people be able to sing on Sunday if they weren't at rehearsal?
            4. How often is too often to skip rehearsal?

            (I don't recall the actual questions, but they were things like that.)
            Once we had everyone's input and our own, Anne and I drafted a "Choir
            Policy". That the choir then agreed to it wholeheartedly. That
            original policy has been modified and clarified over the years, but
            has basically stood the test of time in our community....

            ************************************

            St. Lawrence Orthodox Church Choir Policies

            The ministry and function of the St. Lawrence Choir is to effectively
            lead the congregation in worship at specified liturgies. Singing and
            leading in this manner requires unity, skill, understanding and
            preparedness among the singers. This singing ministry is indeed a
            high calling and one that requires labor, commitment and skill.
            Adherence to the following choir policies facilitates our proper
            functioning and the fulfillment of our ministry to the church.

            I. Church Year

            The Church Year divides naturally into three sessions:

            a. Fall/Winter â€" October through Theophany (approximately 4 months)

            b. Winter/Spring â€" Pre-Lent through Pentecost (approximately 5 months)

            c. Summer â€" beginning after Pentecost through the Elevation of the
            Cross in late-September, including Transfiguration, Dormition and our
            Patronal Feast. (approximately 3 months)

            To better plan and accommodate these three sessions, we will ask choir
            membersâ€"at the beginning of each sessionâ€"make a commitment to that
            session in its entirety. Individual concerns that arise within a
            session can be addressed, as necessary, according to the guidelines
            outlined below.

            II. Rehearsals

            a. Rehearsals are on Wednesday nights, beginning with Vespers at
            7:00 p.m. Vespers function as both a spiritual and a vocal warm-up,
            so please make every attempt to attend them.

            b. An additional Saturday rehearsal is usually scheduled before
            Nativity and Pascha.

            c. Attendance is required at ALL rehearsals.

            1. Regular attendance is a sign of respect for your
            director and the other singers, and of your seriousness about your
            ministry.

            2. If you frequently miss more than one rehearsal in six,
            your absence is hindering the progress of the entire choir and your
            schedule may need adjustment to allow your continued participation.

            3. Students & Parents: Choir is huge time commitment.
            Keep in mind that homework, being grounded, studying for exams, etc.
            are not acceptable excuses to skip choir rehearsal.

            d. Please bring all current liturgy books, and a pencil to every
            rehearsal. (Please do not mark music with a pen.)

            e. We will generally have two scheduled breaks during the year.

            1. One immediately following Theophany for one to three weeks.

            2. One shortly after Pentecost for one to three weeks.

            3. Occasional weeks off at the conductor's discretion.

            III. Liturgies

            a. At all services be ready at your stand in the kliros 5 minutes
            before you are expected to sing.

            1. For Sunday Liturgies this often means being in the
            kliros ready to sing at 8:45. However, we encourage you to arrive 30
            minutes before Sunday Liturgy begins to focus, pray and prepare
            yourself to lead the worship.

            b. All liturgy books should be prepared in advance.

            1. This can usually be done on Wednesday night after rehearsal.

            2. If not, allow yourself 10 minutes to prepare it before
            Liturgy begins.

            c. Please arrange yourselves at the music stand so that you can
            see both the music and the conductor.

            IV. Decorum

            a. In accordance with the seriousness of the calling of a music
            minister, choir members should conduct themselves in a respectful and
            prayerful manner while in church. Talking during the service should be
            restricted to any question about the service itself.

            b. Please refrain from leaving the kliros area unless absolutely
            necessary. Flitting in and out of the choir during a service is
            distracting and disrespectful for all involved.

            V. Weddings

            All choir members are invited to sing at weddings as they arise. Those
            who plan to sing will be expected to attend any required rehearsals
            and a warm-up 45 minutes prior to the Wedding Liturgy

            VI. Communication

            a. Good communication enables us to function as a unified group.

            b. It is essential that you notify the conductor in advance of
            any liturgy or rehearsal that you will be unable to attend. Many
            times we must plan accordingly to accommodate your absence.

            1. Let the conductor know as soon as you know regarding any vacation plans, illness or any other event.

            c. Keep the conductor informed of any upcoming schedule changes
            that may affect your participation.

            d. Please discuss individual concerns outside of general rehearsal time.