Old Calendar Choir Cues: 4 Lent, The Sunday of St. John Climacus, 21 March/3 April 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2011
      My apologies for the lateness of the Cues: For most of this week, my
      stepfather has been in extremis, and my brothers, sister and I have
      been keeping vigil at his bedside. As of this morning, he has
      rallied, so we are not sure if he will recover or if this truly is the
      end, but in any case, I would appreciate your prayers for the
      (non-Orthodox) servant of God Francis.

      According to the Typicon, the Service from the Triodion (§3B17). The
      order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign §, followed by the
      appropriate number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      21 March/3 April 2011
      SUNDAY OF ST. JOHN OF THE LADDER - Tone 4

      Epistle: Hebrews 6:13-20 (§314) AND Ephesians 5:9-19 (§229)
      Gospel: Mark 9:17-31 (§40) AND Matthew 4:25-5:12 (§10)

      Fourth Sunday of Great Lent. Commemoration of St. John of the Ladder;
      Venerable James the Confessor, Bishop of Studion Monastery in
      Constantinople; St. Cyril, Bishop of Catania; St. Thomas, Patriarch of
      Constantinople; St. Serapion, Bishop of Thmuis in Egypt; Venerable
      Sophronius of Palestine; Venerable Serapion of Nitria; Venerable
      Pachomius, Monk of Nerekhta; Venerable Seraphim of Vyritsa (1949).

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Troparion for St. John of the Ladder
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. BASIL THE GREAT

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 8 from the Octoechos

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      By the tree was Adam forced to depart from paradise; but by the Tree
      of the Cross was the thief made to dwell in paradise. For the one by
      tasting, broke the commandment of the creator; while the other,
      crucified with Him, confessed the hidden God, crying out: Remember me
      in Thy kingdom!

      O Lord Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Who hast destroyed the power
      of death and as God hast destroyed the record of our sins, grant also
      the repentance of the thief unto us who faithfully serve Thee and cry
      out to thee, O Christ God Who alone lovest mankind: Remember us also
      in Thy kingdom!

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      On the Cross Thou didst tear asunder with the spear the record of our
      sins; and, numbered among the dead, Thou didst bind the tyrant of
      hades, O Lord Who lovest mankind, Who by Thy resurrection hast
      delivered all from the bonds of hades. Thereby have we been
      illumined, and we cry to Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O Thou Who alone art immortal, Who wast crucified and as almighty
      didst arise from the tomb on the third day, and hast raised up Adam,
      the first created: Vouchsafe that I also may turn to repentance with
      my whole heart, and may ever cry out to Thee with fervent faith:
      Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      For our sake He Who is without passion became a man subject to the
      passions; and, nailed of His own will to the Cross, He hath raised us
      up with Himself. Wherefore, we glorify His Cross, passion, and
      resurrection, whereby we have been refashioned and whereby we also are
      saved, who cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      O ye faithful, let us entreat Him who hath risen from the dead, hath
      made captive the dominion of hades, and wast seen by the myrrh-bearing
      women and said to them: “Rejoice!”, that He deliver from corruption
      the souls of us who ever cry out to Him with the voice of the noble
      thief: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      O Ye faithful, let us all pray, that with one mind we may worthily
      glorify the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, the unity of the
      Trinity in three Hypostases, unmingled, abiding, simple, indivisible
      and unapproachable; for thereby have we been delivered from the fiery
      torment.

      O Christ, most merciful Master, Thy Mother, who gave birth unto Thee
      in the flesh without seed, the true Virgin, who remained incorrupt
      even after giving birth, do we set before Thee to make the
      supplication: Grant forgiveness of transgressions unto those who ever
      cry out to Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 4: Having learned the joyful
      proclamation of the Resurrection from the angel, / and having cast off
      the ancestral condemnation, / the women disciples of the Lord spake to
      the apostles exultantly: / Death is despoiled and Christ God is risen,
      // granting to the world great mercy.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. John, Tone 1: O John our father, saint of God, /
      thou wast revealed as a citizen of the desert, / an angel in a body
      and a worker of miracles. / Through fasting, prayer and vigils thou
      hast received heavenly gifts of grace, / and thou healest the sick and
      the souls of those that turn to thee with faith. / Glory to Him who
      gave thee strength; / glory to Him who crowned thee; // glory to Him
      who through thee grants to all men healing.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 4: My Savior and Redeemer hath, as
      God, / raised up the earthborn from the grave and from their fetters,
      / and He hath broken the gates of hades, / and, as Master, // hath
      risen on the third day.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory…

      Kontakion of St. John, Tone 4: Truly the Lord hath set thee as a
      fixed star in the firmament of abstinence, / giving light to the ends
      of the earth, // O father John our teacher.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: How magnified are Thy works O
      Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
      Choir: How magnified are Thy works O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
      Reader: Bless the Lord, O my soul; O Lord my God, Thou hast been
      magnified exceedingly.
      Choir: How magnified are Thy works O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.
      Reader: In the 7th Tone: The saints shall boast in glory and they
      shall rejoice upon their beds.
      Choir: The saints shall boast in glory and they shall rejoice upon their beds.

      [Hebrews 6:13-20, §314]: Brethren: When God made promise to Abraham,
      because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself, * Saying,
      Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply
      thee. * And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the
      promise. * For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for
      confirmation is to them an end of all strife. * Wherein God, willing
      more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of
      his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: * That by two immutable things,
      in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong
      consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set
      before us: * Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure
      and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; * Whither
      the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for
      ever after the order of Melchisedec.

      [Ephesians 5:9-19, §229]: Brethren: Now are ye light in the Lord: walk
      as children of light: * (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all
      goodness and righteousness and truth;) ; * Proving what is acceptable
      unto the Lord. * And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of
      darkness, but rather reprove them. * For it is a shame even to speak
      of those things which are done of them in secret. * But all things
      that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth
      make manifest is light. * Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that
      sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. *
      See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, *
      Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. * Wherefore be ye not
      unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. * And be not
      drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; *
      Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
      singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 4th Tone: Bend Thy bow, and proceed
      prosperously, and be king, because of truth and meekness and
      righteousness.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Thou hast loved righteousness and hated iniquity.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the Same tone: They that are planted in the house of the
      Lord, in the courts of our God they shall blossom forth.

      [Mark 9:17-31, §40]: At that time, one of the multitude answered and
      said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb
      spirit; * And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he
      foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to
      thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not. * He
      answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be
      with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me. * And they
      brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare
      him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming. * And he asked
      his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said,
      Of a child. * And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into
      the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have
      compassion on us, and help us. * Jesus said unto him, If thou canst
      believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. * And
      straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears,
      Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. * When Jesus saw that the
      people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto
      him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and
      enter no more into him. * And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and
      came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He
      is dead. * But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he
      arose. * And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him
      privately, Why could not we cast him out? * And he said unto them,
      This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting. * And
      they departed thence, and passed through Galilee; and he would not
      that any man should know it. * For he taught his disciples, and said
      unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they
      shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third
      day.

      [Matthew 4:25-5:12, §10]: At that time, there followed him great
      multitudes of people from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from
      Jerusalem, and from Judaea, and from beyond Jordan. * And seeing the
      multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his
      disciples came unto him: * And he opened his mouth, and taught them,
      saying, * Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of
      heaven. * Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. *
      Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. * Blessed are
      they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be
      filled. * Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. *
      Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. * Blessed are
      the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. *
      Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for
      theirs is the kingdom of heaven. * Blessed are ye, when men shall
      revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil
      against you falsely, for my sake. * Rejoice, and be exceeding glad:
      for great is your reward in heaven.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of It is truly meet, we sing the Hymn to the Theotokos of the
      St. Basil Liturgy (Tone 8 in the Octoechos, but usually sung to one of
      many special melodies]:

      All creation -- the assembly of angels and the race of man --
      rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace, O sacred temple and
      noetical paradise, boast of virgins, from whom God, Who existeth from
      before time, was incarnate and became a child; for He made thy body a
      throne, and thy womb He made more spacious than the heavens. All
      creation rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace. Glory to
      thee!

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In
      everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid
      of evil tidings. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!