Re: Old Calendar Choir Cues for this Sunday

  • Daniel Olson
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2010
      On Dec 30, 2010, Meg Lark wrote:

      > > Now, a question about the Hours this coming Sunday.
      > >
      > > Our priest is going to limit the commemmorations to just the Holy Fathers
      > > (i.e., not including St. John of Kronstadt or the Martyrs). How then would
      > > be Troparia/Kontakia work at the Hours on Sunday morning? Would the
      > > Forefeast be included?
      > >
      > > Thank you.
      > >
      > > In Christ, Matushka Betsy
      > >

      > Dear Matushka,
      >
      > According to Volume III of the Order of Divine Services, if you are just
      > celebrating the Holy Forefathers, all the Hours run like this:
      >
      > Resurrectional Troparion
      > Glory...
      > Troparion of the Forefathers
      > Both now...
      > Theotokion from the Horologion
      > Kontakion of the Forefathers
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Meg Lark

      For the Sunday before the Nativity (also know as the Sunday of the Holy Fathers), there are several distinct possibilities:

      1. When the Sunday before the Nativity falls on 18-19 December, which is before the prefestal period of the Nativity

      2. When the Sunday before the Nativity falls on 20-23 December, which is during the prefestal period of the Nativity

      3. When the Sunday before the Nativity falls on 20-23 December (during the prefestal period of the Nativity) and a commemoration of polyeleos-rank or vigil-rank in the Menaion coincides

      4. When the Sunday before the Nativity falls on 24 December (the Eve of the Nativity)

      All of the above possibilities are covered in separate sections in Volume III of "The Order of Divine Services".

      The above order for the Hours, as given by Meg Lark, pertains to possibility No. 1, when the Sunday before the Nativity falls on 18-19 December (i.e., before the prefestal period). However, this year, the Sunday before the Nativity falls on 20 December, which is the first day of the prefestal period. Therefore, the order of the troparion and kontakia at the Hours for No. 2 should be as follows:

      First Hour and Sixth Hour�

      Troparion of the resurrection from the Octoechos; Glory�, troparion of the forefeast, "Make ready, O Bethlehem�" (from the service of the day on which the Sunday falls, i.e., 20 December); Both now�, theotokion of the Hour.
      After the Trisagion Prayers: kontakion of the forefeast (from the service of the day on which the Sunday falls, i.e., 20 December).

      Third Hour and Ninth Hour�

      Troparion of the resurrection from the Octoeochos; Glory�, troparion of the Fathers; Both now�, theotokion of the Hour.
      After the Trisagion Prayers: kontakon of the Fathers, "Be glad, O Bethlehem�"

      The order for possibility No. 3 (which would be used this year if the commemoration for St. John of Kronstadt is performed) is as follows:

      First Hour and Sixth Hour�

      Troparion of the resurrection from the Octoechos; Glory�, troparion of the Fathers; Both now�, theotokion of the Hour.
      After the Trisagion Prayers: kontakion of the Fathers, "Be glad, O Bethlehem�"

      Third Hour and Ninth Hour�
      Troparion of the resurrection from the Octoechos; Glory�, troparion of the saint; Both now�, theotokion of the Hour.
      After the Trisagion Prayers: kontakon of the saint.

      This order for possibility No. 3 is also what Meg Lark has included in her Choir Cues for this coming Sunday.

      Daniel Olson