Re: Slavonic Gospel Book Question

  • James Silver
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
      Dear Friends --

      My Church Slavonic gospel is a 1973 Russian Orthodox Youth Committee (ROCOR) reprint of the 1898 Moscow edition.

      In this book, the Gospel of Luke is preceded by three sections:
      1. Page 141 recto: a one-paragraph 'Life' of St Luke by St Dorotheos, martyred bishop of Tyre
      2. Page 141 verso - Page 146 recto: a chapter and verse precis of topics
      3. Page 146 verso - Page 147 verso: a 'Foreword' giving biographic details of St Luke and thematic/theological dimensions of his gospel, author unattributed but may well be the work of St Dorotheos and the source of the brief extract described at #1 above, with which it shares much of the same vocabulary.

      Hope this helps a little.

      Peace and blessings to all.

      Monk James

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "mrsteveowens" <bowen@...> wrote:

      > can anyone tell me what exactly is in the Slavonic Gospel Book between the Life of the Evangelist by Sophronius and the beginning of the actual Gospel text? I've looked at PDF files from www.orthlib.info but my Slavonic is pretty weak, so I still am not sure what this stuff is.
      > Thanks in advance.
      > Subdeacon Steven

    • Steve Owens
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2010
        Would anyone with a working knowledge of Slavonic here be willing to
        translate the short introductory paragraph attributed to Dorotheus of Tyre
        in the Gospel Book for St. Mark? It starts out (I think) "Mark the
        Evangelist, first bishop of Alexandria..."
        Thanks in advance,
        Subdeacon Steven Owens