Re: [ustav] "The Great Book"

  • David James
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
      A glimmer of hope...

      A google search on "������� �������" basically yielded only this log of the
      Deacon Ioann Danilov's two-year search for the rumored reprint, which, as of
      May 26 of this year had still been unsuccessful. Interesting reading,
      however, as is his online journal, in general (
      http://o-ioann.livejournal.com/24053.html).

      So, if anyone does find a place to buy a copy of the Velikiy Sbornik, I hope
      they will post it here (and let Deacon Ioann know, too).

      David James

    • Gabriel Sanchez
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
        I purchased my copy 2 years ago from Istok for around $75. Unfortunately I
        don't see it on the website now. You could try e-mailling them. They were
        able to find me a couple of other books that weren't initially "on site"
        when I asked.

        Also, you may want to contact the St. Nikolai's Bookstore in Libertyville,
        IL. They used to carry a full set, but that was years ago.

        Jordanville only had a couple of the initial five volumes available when I
        last checked with them two years ago. My suspicion is once they are gone,
        they are gone.

      • Dale Dickerson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
          There is no real reason that this book should ever be out of print. While the binding is not as good, on demand publishing would help with these types of situations. If the choice is waiting for years with no copy of a book, but one day good binding OR poor binding of book but having copy in few days, I would prefer to have the book in a few days.

          It is to bad that no English version of this book set is made. It looks ideal for a mission Church starting out.

          Dale Dickerson

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
            Part of the problem is that with most Russians conditioned to seeing Slavonic only in grazhdanka fonts and in Russian new orthography, they are intimidated by traditional Slavonic printing. When I inveigh against this evil, I am opposing something that has bad effects beyond those generally recognized.

            The Carpatho-Rusyns have a Velikij Sbornik in one volume that permits following services through the year (depending on the General Menaeon for all but great feasts and major trephologion feasts). AFAIK it is not in print either,

            Stephen

            --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Dale Dickerson <hobbitofny@...> wrote:

            > There is no real reason that this book should ever be out of print. While the binding is not as good, on demand publishing would help with these types of situations. If the choice is waiting for years with no copy of a book, but one day good binding OR poor binding of book but having copy in few days, I would prefer to have the book in a few days.
            >

            > It is to bad that no English version of this book set is made. It looks ideal for a mission Church starting out.
            >

            > Dale Dickerson

          • Fr. John Whiteford
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22, 2010
              If it is out of print, I would imagine that this is due to the low costs of have a complete set of the liturgical books that the Velikij Sbornik has selections from.

              Fr. John Whiteford
              St. Jonah Orthodox Church

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 28, 2010
                I received an e-mail this morning from Istok, confirming that the Velikiy
                Sbornik is no longer in stock.

                David James