Third Sunday after Pentecost

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1 1:09 PM
      Dear Ustavniki,

      I just saw a reference on another list to the Moscow Patriarchate's
      having designated the Third Sunday after Pentecost as the Sunday of
      All the Saints of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. (This was
      inaugurated in 2007.) Obviously the SJKP liturgical calendar does not
      cover this contingency, so I was wondering if anyone knows how this
      could or should be handled in the Choir Cues? Thanks in advance...

      In Christ,
      Meg Lark
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1 1:10 PM
        Sorry -- that was the Feast of All Saints of Britain and [just plain]
        Ireland. My great-grandmother just gave me a well-deserved smack
        upside the head.

        In Christ,
        Meg Lark
      • Kyril Jenner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1 1:15 PM
          I would be inclined to quietly ignore it. This is a peculiarity of the
          Moscow Patriarchate. Many of us in UK observe All Saints of Great Britain
          and Ireland on the Second Sunday after Pentecost, along with All Saints of
          Russia, All Saints of Belarus, All Saints of Romania, etc.

          Archimandrite Kyril Jenner

          http://www.mynachdy-sant-elias.org.uk/

          > I just saw a reference on another list to the Moscow Patriarchate's
          > having designated the Third Sunday after Pentecost as the Sunday of
          > All the Saints of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. (This was
          > inaugurated in 2007.) Obviously the SJKP liturgical calendar does not
          > cover this contingency, so I was wondering if anyone knows how this
          > could or should be handled in the Choir Cues? Thanks in advance...
          >
          > In Christ,
          > Meg Lark

        • Fr. John Whiteford
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1 1:15 PM
            It is an option, but it is not mandatory.

            The MP's calendar calls for the same commemoration that the Jordanville Calendar does:

            http://www.patriarchia.ru/bu/2010-06-13/

            http://www.saintjonah.org/rub/rub_may31.htm

            Fr. John Whiteford
            St. Jonah Orthodox Church
            Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1 1:19 PM
              Wonderful, thank you both, Father Kyrill and Father John. Back to my Choir
              Cues alchemy...

              Kissing your right hand,
              Meg

            • smackdaddy.au@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1 7:31 PM
                Ah, now, Where would you be without your granny!

                I have always thought it an odd commemoration, though. Smacking a bit of colonialism, by lumping them all together. The English, Scots, Irish and Welsh (and Cornish) are so nationally, historically and culturally distinct and also so individually rich in Orthodox Saints that it would seem to me appropriate to allow each nation a separate commemoration.

                Having grown up in Ireland, I can see that a combination with All Saints of Britain would certainly rankle many Irish people. Though, maybe we've outgrown such smallness of mind these days.

                Just a thought.

                Cheers
                Sent from my BlackBerry® from Optus