Re: question re troparia/kontakia

  • |TG-Irr|Axis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
      Your response was the correct one, Matushka. The Typicon is the guide, we are to follow it the best we can, without assuming we can tweak a bit here and there. It matters. It certainly mattered to St. Savva. The Priest->Bishop override request seems the best course to take if it really comes to that.

      Gut feeling: your choir should not make such a request lightly. In my experience, a heirarch who feels he has been bothered with a frivolous request for economia will find fault not only with the choir, but with the Priest who "sponsored" the request.

      At the very least, I would require my choir members to come together on an off-night of the week to sing a Canon to St. Savva before going further down the Bishop road. That would both show me if it REALLY mattered to them, and would let us submit our good intentions to the Saint whom we wished to honor.

      Of course, in my choir, the manner in which I convey my wishes or "lay down the law" is usually of greater concern to my members than what my decision is, in the end.

      I have often found that while I may have been correct, I also have offended with the manner in which I spoke; I often find myself asking forgiveness of my longsuffering, hard-working choir members.

      And that is not such a bad thing. :-)

      Wishing you a profitable fast,

      In Christ our Hope,

      Sdn. Martinian Prince