Re: [ustav] Lenten daily Vespers as a reader service

  • Steve Robinson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
      I've been told to lead them from the kliros in Reader's services.
      Sdn. s-p

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
        Dear Friends --

        In monastic practice, whether in men's or women's monasteries (not 'convents', please), the superior (hegoumen or hegoumeness) or at least the senior monastic leads this prayer, whether or not a priest is serving.

        In the daily services, this is also true of some other prayers, such as 'Now You release Your servant' at the end of the Evening Service, or 'Count us worthy, Lord, to be kept without sin'.

        Peace and blessings to all as we contiue this holy fast.

        Monk James

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
          Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

          A blessed Lent to all of you!

          In our Mission (Antiochian, but with folks from all over the world) we do
          a lot of Reader services, and as Monk James says, the "Leader" leads most
          of the prayers. (Some blessings and other Priest/Deacon parts are
          modified, of course. For instance, Ektenias are replaced by suitable
          numbers of "Lord hace mercies." Father John Whiteford's Reader Horologion
          is the best and most comprehensive source for many Reader services.)
          However, when it comes to St. Ephrem's Prayer, the entire congregation
          recites it (with prostrations) so there is no need for anybody to lead,
          because everybody does the same thing. The same is the case at Compline
          (except for Friday night, of course.)

          Best wishes,
          Rdr Gabriel

          On Sun, February 21, 2010 6:29 pm, frjsilver wrote:
          > Dear Friends --
          >
          > In monastic practice, whether in men's or women's monasteries (not
          > 'convents', please), the superior (hegoumen or hegoumeness) or at least
          > the senior monastic leads this prayer, whether or not a priest is serving.
          >
          > In the daily services, this is also true of some other prayers, such as
          > 'Now You release Your servant' at the end of the Evening Service, or
          > 'Count us worthy, Lord, to be kept without sin'.
          >
          > Peace and blessings to all as we contiue this holy fast.
          >
          > Monk James

        • Altomare Corrado
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2010
            Where can one obtain a copy of Fr. John Whiteford's Reader Horologion?
            It sounds like a much needed tool that most parishes could benefit from.
            Reader Corrado (St Gregory Palamas Church, Glen Gardner, NJ)

          • Fr. Michael Crowley
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 22, 2010
              http://www.saintjonah.org/services/horologion.htm

              Altomare Corrado wrote:
              > Where can one obtain a copy of Fr. John Whiteford's Reader Horologion?
              > It sounds like a much needed tool that most parishes could benefit from.
              > Reader Corrado (St Gregory Palamas Church, Glen Gardner, NJ)

              Fr. Michael Crowley
              Rector
              St. Xenia Orthodox Church
              Methuen, MA