Old Calendar Choir Cues: Sunday of the Last Judgment, 25 January/7 February 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2010
      According to the Typicon, a polyeleos-rank service to St. Gregory the
      Theologian, combined with the service in the Triodion (following the
      instructions in the Order of Divine Services III, pages 150-154 - NOT
      GIVEN HERE). Or, if the rector so direct, a vigil-rank service to the
      New-Martyrs of Russia, combined with the service in the Triodion
      (following the instructions in the Order of Divine Services III, pages
      146-150 - GIVEN HERE). The service to St. Gregory the Theologian is
      transferred to 27 January.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign §, followed by the
      appropriate number.

      Also, as I am no longer working at my church, I no longer have access
      to a Menaion, so am completely dependent on my online sources for the
      Cues. If your parish is celebrating St. Gregory the Theologian,
      please consult your priest for directions.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford and Father John McCuen, as always, for
      the materials they put together. I could not undertake this effort
      without their help.

      25 January/7 February 2010
      SUNDAY OF THE LAST JUDGMENT (Meatfare Sunday).. Tone 2.

      Epistle: 1 Corinthians 8:8-9:2 (§140) AND Romans 8:28-39 (§99)
      Gospel: Matthew 25:31-46 (§106) AND Luke 21:12-29 (§106)

      St. Gregory the Theologian, Archbishop of Constantinople. New-Martyrs
      and Confessors of Russia. St. Publius, ascetic of Syria. St. Mares
      the Singer of Syria. Martyrs Felecitas of Rome and seve sons:
      Januarius, Felix, Philip, Silvanus, Alexander, Vitalis, and Martial.
      St. Moses, Archbishop of Novgorod. St. Castinus, Bishop of Byzantium.
      St. Demetrius Skevophylax ("keeper of the sacred vessels") of
      Constantinople. New Hieromartyr Vladimir, Metropolitan of Kiev,
      proto-hieromartyr of the Communist Yoke. St. Dwyn, Virgin of
      Llandwyn. St. Anatole the Elder of Optina. Icons of the Most Holy
      Theotokos "Assuage My Sorrow" and "Unexpected Joy. Greek Calendar:
      Martyr Medula and her companions. St. Apollo of Thebes, monk.

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Troparion of the New-Martyrs

      After the Trisagion Prayers:
      Third Hour: Kontakion from the Triodion
      Sixth Hour: Kontakion of the New-Martyrs

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      4 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Triodion Canon; 4 from Ode 3
      of the Canon of the New-Martyrs

      1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      We offer Thee the cry of the thief, and we pray: Remember us in Thy
      kingdom, O Savior.

      2. Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

      For the forgiveness of transgressions we offer unto Thee the Cross
      which Thou didst accept for our sake, O Thou who lovest mankind.

      3. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      We bow down in worship, O Master, before Thy burial and rising,
      whereby Thou hast delivered the world from corruption, O Thou Who
      lovest mankind.

      4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      By Thy death hath death been slain, O Lord, and by Thy resurrection
      hast Thou saved the world, O Savior.

      The Lord comes, and who shall endure the fear of His coming? Who
      shall dare to appear before His face? But prepare thyself to meet
      Him, O my soul.

      Let us make haste before it is too late; let us lament, let us be
      reconciled to God before the end comes. For fearful is the judgment
      at which all of us shall stand naked.

      7. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Have mercy, O Lord, have mercy on me, I cry to Thee, when Thou comest
      with Thine angels to give to every man due return for his deeds.

      8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      How shall I endure the naked wrath of Thy judgment, for I have
      disobeyed Thy commandment? But spare, O spare me in the hour of
      judgment.

      9. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Remember, O Lord, the dreadful torments which the new passion-bearers
      suffered for Thee, who have now sprouted forth from our race; and
      accept their entreaties for our salvation.

      10. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      O righteous Judge, Thou hast opened the kingdom of heaven unto the
      confessors of the Church of Russia. Hearken, O Lord, unto their
      righteousness, and give ear unto their supplication for the salvation
      of our souls.

      11. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      O most divine Trinity, return us from our captivity! We know that sin
      hath increased in our land more than ever before; yet grace also hath
      shone forth in the struggle of the new saints, who also entreat Thee,
      O thrice-holy God, for the salvation of our souls.

      Gather the dispersed; raise up the faint-hearted; call them that have
      renounced the holy Faith and convert them, O gracious and all-pure
      Virgin Mary, entreating Christ the Savior, with the holy new martyrs
      and confessors, for the forgiveness and salvation of our souls.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 2: When Thou didst descend unto death,
      O Life Immortal, / then didst Thou slay Hades with the lightning of
      Thy Divinity. / And when Thou didst also raise the dead out of the
      nethermost depths, / all the Hosts of the heavens cried out: // O
      Life-giver, Christ our God, glory be to Thee.

      Troparion of the New-Martyrs, Tone 4: O ye holy hierarchs, royal
      passion-bearers and pastors, / monks and laymen, men, women and
      children, / ye countless new-martyrs, confessors, / blossoms of the
      spiritual meadow of Russia, / who blossomed forth wondrously in time
      of grievous persecutions / bearing good fruit for Christ in your
      endurance: / Entreat Him, as the One that planted you, / that He
      deliver His people from godless and evil men, / and that the Church of
      Russia / be made steadfast through your blood and suffering, // unto
      the salvation of our souls.

      Glory...

      Kontakion of the New-Martyrs, Tone 2: O ye new passion-bearers of
      Russia, / who have with your confession finished the course of this
      earth, / receiving boldness through your sufferings: / Beseech Christ
      Who strengthened you, / that we also, whenever the hour of trial find
      us / may receive the gift of courage from God. / For ye are a witness
      to us who venerate your struggle, / that neither tribulation, prison,
      nor death // can separate us from the love of God.

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Triodion, Tone 1: When Thou, O God, shalt come to
      earth with glory, / and all things tremble, / and the river of fire
      floweth before the Judgment Seat / and the books are opened, and the
      hidden things made public, / then deliver me from the unquenchable
      fire // and deem me worthy to stand at Thy right hand, O most
      righteous Judge.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: Great is our Lord, and great
      is His strength, and of His understanding there is no measure.
      Choir: Great is our Lord, and great is His strength, and of His
      understanding there is no measure.
      Reader: Praise ye the Lord, for a psalm is a good thing; let praise
      be sweet unto our God.
      Choir: Great is our Lord, and great is His strength, and of His
      understanding there is no measure.
      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: For Thy sake, O Lord, we are
      slain all the day long.
      Choir: For Thy sake, O Lord, we are slain all the day long.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Corinthians.

      [1 Corinthians 8:8-9:2 (§140)]: Brethren: Meat commendeth us not to
      God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat
      not, are we the worse. * But take heed lest by any means this liberty
      of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. * For if any
      man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple,
      shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat
      those things which are offered to idols; * And through thy knowledge
      shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? * But when ye sin
      so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin
      against Christ. * Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will
      eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to
      offend. * Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus
      Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord? * If I be not an
      apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine
      apostleship are ye in the Lord.

      [Romans 8:28-39 (§99)]: Brethren: We know that all things work
      together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called
      according to his purpose. * For whom he did foreknow, he also did
      predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be
      the firstborn among many brethren. * Moreover whom he did
      predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also
      justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. * What shall
      we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
      * He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how
      shall he not with him also freely give us all things? * Who shall lay
      any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. *
      Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is
      risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh
      intercession for us. * Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
      shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or
      nakedness, or peril, or sword? * As it is written, For thy sake we are
      killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
      * Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him
      that loved us. * For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor
      angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things
      to come, * Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be
      able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
      Lord.

      Priest: Peace be to him that readeth.

      ALLELUIA ( NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let
      us shout with jubilation unto God our Savior.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and
      with psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 4th tone: The righteous cried, and the Lord heard them,
      and He delivered them out of all their tribulations

      [Matthew 25:31-46 (§106)]: The Lord said: When the Son of man shall
      come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit
      upon the throne of his glory: * And before him shall be gathered all
      nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd
      divideth his sheep from the goats: * And he shall set the sheep on his
      right hand, but the goats on the left. * Then shall the King say unto
      them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the
      kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: * For I was
      an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink:
      I was a stranger, and ye took me in: * Naked, and ye clothed me: I was
      sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. * Then
      shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an
      hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? * When saw we
      thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? * Or
      when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? * And the
      King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch
      as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have
      done it unto me. * Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand,
      Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the
      devil and his angels: * For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat:
      I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: * I was a stranger, and ye
      took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and
      ye visited me not. * Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord,
      when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or
      sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? * Then shall he
      answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not
      to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. * And these shall
      go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life
      eternal.

      [Luke 21:12-29 (§106)]: The Lord said: Before all these, they shall
      lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the
      synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers
      for my name's sake. * And it shall turn to you for a testimony. *
      Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye
      shall answer: * For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your
      adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. * And ye shall be
      betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends;
      and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. * And ye shall be
      hated of all men for my name's sake. * But there shall not an hair of
      your head perish. * In your patience possess ye your souls. * And when
      ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the
      desolation thereof is nigh. * Then let them which are in Judaea flee
      to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart
      out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto. * For
      these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may
      be fulfilled. * But woe unto them that are with child, and to them
      that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in
      the land, and wrath upon this people. * And they shall fall by the
      edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and
      Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of
      the Gentiles be fulfilled. * And there shall be signs in the sun, and
      in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations,
      with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; * Men's hearts failing
      them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on
      the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. * And then shall
      they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
      * And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift
      up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. *

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice in
      the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Alleluia!
      Alleluia! Alleluia!