Old Calendar Choir Cues: 23 Pentecost, 2/15 November 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2009
      Prayers continue to be requested for Elizabeth Riggs, the founder of
      Choir Cues; for Archimandrite Joasaph; and for Matushka Margaret, all
      of whom are battling severe illnesses in one form or another.

      The SJKP Liturgical Calendar specifies: "A simple service to Martyr
      Acyndinus and those with him (§1A) [GIVEN HERE]. Or, if the rector so
      direct, a Vigil-rank service for the Synaxis of the Unmercenaries
      (§1E) [NOT GIVEN HERE]. The service to Martyrs Acyndinus, Pegasius,
      Aphthonius, Elpidephorus and Anempodistus is transferred to Little
      Compline on the eve of 3 November."

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign §, followed by a
      number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford and Father John McCuen, as always, for
      the materials they put together. I could not undertake this effort
      without their help.

      2/15 November 2009
      TWENTY-THIRD SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST. Tone 6

      Epistle: Ephesians 2:4-10 (§220) AND Ephesians 6:10-17 (§233)
      Gospel: Luke 8:26-30 (§38) AND Matthew 10:16-22 (§36)

      Martyrs Acindynus, Pegasius, Aphthonius, Elpidephorus and Anempodistus
      of Persia. St. Marcian of Cyrrhus. Blessed Cyprian of Storozhev,
      former outlaw (Olonetsk). New Martyrs Bishop Victorin and Priest
      Basil Luzgin (1918). St. Rumwold, infant, of Buckingham (or November
      3). Greek Calendar: Women-Martyrs Cyriaca, Domnina and Domna.
      Martyrs of senatorial rank beheaded under Marcus Aurelius.

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Troparion of the Martyrs
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      8 from the Octoechos

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom, O God my Savior, and save
      me, for Thou alone lovest mankind.

      By a tree was Adam deceived; yet again by the Tree of the Cross was
      the thief saved, who cried out: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      O Bestower of life, Who hadst broken down the gates and portals of
      hades, Thou hast saved all who cry out to Thee, O Savior: Glory to
      Thine arising!

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O Thou Who by Thy burial hast made death captive, and by Thy
      resurrection hast filled all with joy: remember me, in that Thou art
      compassionate.

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      The myrrh-bearing women who came to the tomb heard an angel cry out:
      Christ, Who hath enlightened all things is risen!

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Together let us all hymn Christ, Who was nailed to the Cross and hath
      delivered the world from beguilement.

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, * and to the Holy Spirit.

      The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit let us glorify, saying: O
      Holy Trinity, save Thou our souls!

      O Virgin, who ineffably conceived in the latter days and gavest birth
      unto thy Creator: Save those who magnify thee!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 6: Angelic hosts were above Thy tomb,
      / and they that guarded Thee became as dead. / And Mary stood by the
      grave seeking Thine immaculate body. / Thou didst despoil hades and
      wast not tempted by it. / Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant
      us life. // O Thou Who didst rise from the dead, O Lord, glory be to
      Thee.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of the Martyrs, Tone 2: O athletes of the Lord, / blessed
      is the earth which drank in your blood, / and holy the habitations
      which have received your bodies; / for ye vanquished the enemy in the
      arena / and preached Christ with boldness. // Entreat Him, we pray,
      since He is good, that our souls be saved.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 6: Having by His life bestowing hand
      raised up all the dead out of the dark abysses, / Christ God, the
      Giver of life, hath bestowed the Resurrection upon the fallen human
      race; / for He is the Savior of all, // the Resurrection, and the
      Life, and the God of all.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory...

      Kontakion of the Martyrs, Tone 2: The pious and God-bearing martyrs,
      / who on earth forsook all things – / Acindynus, Pegasius, and
      Anempodistus, / and with them Aphthonius, and Elpidephorus – / Thou
      didst receive into the delight of Thy good things and into rest, // O
      Thou Who alone are all-good.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 6th Tone: Save, O Lord, Thy people and
      bless Thine inheritance.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: Unto Thee, O Lord, Will I cry; O my God, be not silent unto me.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: Save, O Lord, Thy people.
      Choir: and bless Thine inheritance.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Ephesians.

      [Ephesians 2:4-10 (§220)]: Brethren: God, who is rich in mercy, for
      his great love wherewith he loved us, * Even when we were dead in
      sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
      * And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly
      places in Christ Jesus: * That in the ages to come he might shew the
      exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ
      Jesus. * For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of
      yourselves: it is the gift of God: * Not of works, lest any man should
      boast. * For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good
      works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

      [Ephesians 6:10-17 (§233)]: Brethren: Be strong in the Lord, and in
      the power of his might. * Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may
      be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. * For we wrestle not
      against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers,
      against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual
      wickedness in high places. * Wherefore take unto you the whole armour
      of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having
      done all, to stand. * Stand therefore, having your loins girt about
      with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; * And your
      feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; * Above all,
      taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all
      the fiery darts of the wicked. * And take the helmet of salvation, and
      the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

      Priest: Peace be to him that readeth.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 6th Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: He that dwelleth in the help of the Most High shall abide in
      the shelter of the God of heaven.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: He shall say unto the Lord: Thou art my helper and my refuge.
      He is my God, and I will hope in Him.

      [Luke 8:26-39 (§38)]: At that time, they arrived at the country of
      the Gadarenes, which is over against Galilee. * And when he went forth
      to land, there met him out of the city a certain man, which had devils
      long time, and ware no clothes, neither abode in any house, but in the
      tombs. * When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him,
      and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou
      Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not. * (For he had
      commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For oftentimes it
      had caught him: and he was kept bound with chains and in fetters; and
      he brake the bands, and was driven of the devil into the wilderness.)
      * And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion:
      because many devils were entered into him. * And they besought him
      that he would not command them to go out into the deep. * And there
      was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they
      besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them. And he
      suffered them. * Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into
      the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the
      lake, and were choked. * When they that fed them saw what was done,
      they fled, and went and told it in the city and in the country. * Then
      they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the
      man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of
      Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. * They
      also which saw it told them by what means he that was possessed of the
      devils was healed. * Then the whole multitude of the country of the
      Gadarenes round about besought him to depart from them; for they were
      taken with great fear: and he went up into the ship, and returned back
      again. * Now the man out of whom the devils were departed besought him
      that he might be with him: but Jesus sent him away, saying, * Return
      to thine own house, and shew how great things God hath done unto thee.
      And he went his way, and published throughout the whole city how great
      things Jesus had done unto him.

      [Matthew 10:16-22 (§36)]: The Lord said to His disciples: Behold, I
      send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise
      as serpents, and harmless as doves. * But beware of men: for they will
      deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their
      synagogues; * And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for
      my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles. * But when
      they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for
      it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. * For it
      is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in
      you. * And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the
      father the child: and the children shall rise up against their
      parents, and cause them to be put to death. * And ye shall be hated of
      all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be
      saved.

      COMMUNION

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Alleluia,
      Alleluia, Alleluia!