The Aposticha on the first day of the Nativity Fast

  • Fr. John Whiteford
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
      I am trying to make sense of the Jordanville Rubrics, and have a few questions:

      My rough translation of the rubrics is:

      Aposticha: Octoechos, Tone 7, from Friday
      evening Vespers, (O Savior, when Thou comest
      to judge) written at Lord I have Cried , with the usual verses.

      Now, does this mean that we take the second set of three stichera from Lord, I have cried at Friday Vespers, Tone 7, and use the usual verses in the Horologion: Unto thee have I lifted up mine eyes, etc.?  Or, would we use the verses  Blessed are they whom
      thou hast chosen, etc?

      Fr. John Whiteford

      St. Jonah Orthodox Church

      Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

    • russianhackerz5
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
        The MP manual calls for the verses from the Horologion, "Unto Thee have I lifted up mine eyes...".

        Aleks

        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John Whiteford" <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to make sense of the Jordanville Rubrics, and have a few questions:
        >
        > My rough translation of the rubrics is:
        >

        > Aposticha: Octoechos, Tone 7, from Friday
        > evening Vespers, (O Savior, when Thou comest
        > to judge) written at Lord I have Cried , with the usual verses.
        >
        > Now, does this mean that we take the second set of three stichera from Lord, I have cried at Friday Vespers, Tone 7, and use the usual verses in the Horologion: Unto thee have I lifted up mine eyes, etc.?  Or, would we use the verses  Blessed are they whom
        > thou hast chosen, etc?
        >
        > Fr. John Whiteford
        >
        > St. Jonah Orthodox Church
        >
        > Parish Home Page: http://www.saintjonah.org/

        > Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

      • S. Miller
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
          Dear Father,

          I do not make sense of either the Jordanville rubrics or the MP cited by Aleks. This is a Saturday in a fast and a minor commemoration. I think that the Sat. "Alleluia" office is required. Therefore on LIHC the tone tone 7 martyrs stichera (nos. 4,5, & 6) are done after the 3 from the Menaion. At the Aposticha use the first martyricon & the 2 nekrosima w/the verses,"Blessed are they whom...."
          Also use the theotokion written there.
          Check chapter 13 of the Typikon.

          In XC,
          Dn. Sergius Miller

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
            There is no Alleluia service for the first day of the Nativity Fast, since it falls on a Saturday. The Alleluia service would be sung on Wednesday, November 19 (unless one serves the Polyeleos-rank service to St Philaret of Moscow).

            When the start of the fast falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the Typicon calls for the singing of God is the Lord, not the Alleluia service (see November 14, the second "zri"). Thus one would follow Ch. 12, not Ch. 13 of the Typicon. But on Monday through Friday, the Alleluia service is chanted.

            Aleks

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
              My apologies to all. Thank you, Aleks, I missed the zri. And that makes the answer to Fr. John's question a "yes" for the usual weekday verses and the stichera martyrica from LIHC for the Aposticha, not the "Blessed..."

              In XC,
              Dn. Sergius

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
                It's the editor's fault; there should have been a notice in boldface: SEE "zri."

                Stephen