Old Calendar Choir Cues: 20 Pentecost, 12/25 October 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2009
      Prayers continue to be requested for Elizabeth Riggs, the founder of
      Choir Cues; for Archimandrite Joasaph; and for Matushka Margaret, all
      of whom are battling severe illnesses in one form or another.

      The SJKP Liturgical Calendar specifies: "A Vigil-rank service to the
      Fathers of the Seventh Council (Order of Divine Services III) [GIVEN
      HERE] . The service to Martyrs Probus, Tarachus and Andronicus and St.
      Cosmas is transferred to Little Compline on the eve of 13 October.
      Or, if the rector so direct, a plyeleos-rank service to St. Martin,
      combined with the service to the Fathers of the Seventh Council as
      prescribed in Order of Divine Services III" (NOT given here).

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are now a standard feature, indicated by the sign §, followed by a
      number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford and Father John McCuen, as always, for
      the materials they put together. I could not undertake this effort
      without their help.

      12/25 October 2009
      TWENTIETH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST. HOLY FATHERS OF THE SEVENTH
      ECUMENICAL COUNCIL - Tone 3

      Epistle: Galatians 1:11-19 (§200) AND Hebrews 13:7-16 (§334)
      Gospel: Luke 7:11-16 (§30) AND John 17:1-13 (§56)

      Martyrs Probus, Tarachus and Andronicus at Tarsus in Cilicia. St.
      Cosmas the Hymnographer, Bishop of Maiuma. St. Martin the Merciful,
      Bishop of Tours. Martyr Domnica of Anazarbus. Saints Amphilochius,
      Macarius and Tarasius, Abbots, and Theodosius, Monk, of Glushetsky
      (Vologda). St. Wilfrid, Bishop of Hexham. "Jerusalem" Icon. Greek
      Calendar: Virgin-Martyr Anastasia of Rome. St. Theodotus, Bishop of
      Ephesus. Martyrs Malfethos and Anthea. St. Jason, Bishop of
      Damascus. St. Symeon the New Theologian (transferred here from Great
      Lent, March 12). St. Theodosius the God-bearer of Arsinoe in Cyprus.

      HOURS

      Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Fathers
      Kontakion of the Fathers

      Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Fathers
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Fathers

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken Thy
      commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause to
      dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying out:
      “Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!”

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O Lord,
      Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless Master,
      Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out: “Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!”

      In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions with
      Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of death
      hast Thou destroyed, O Savior. Wherefore, with faith we cry out to
      Thee: “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

      O Thou who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou
      didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good
      Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever
      cry out: “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Risen from the dead, O Savior, Thou didst first appear to the
      myrrh-bearing women, crying out: “Rejoice!” and through them Thou
      didst announce Thy resurrection to Thy friends, O Christ. Wherefore,
      with faith we cry out to Thee, “Remember us also in Thy kingdom!”

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Moses, stretching out his arms on the mountain, prefigured the Cross
      and thus conquered Amelek. And, receiving it with faith as a mighty
      weapon against the demons, we all cry out: “Remember us also in Thy
      kingdom!”

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, *
      and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

      Initiated into the mysteries by Christ, the divine chief shepherds
      drove away from the pious the parties of Antichrist, who wished to
      trouble the Church of Christ, that it not be shaken.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      The Company of the fathers, drawing forth streams of teaching from the
      wellsprings of salvation, give the thirsting people of Christ to drink
      thereof, and wash away the turbid streams of filth.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      The Seventh Council of the Christ-loving, whose defenders were the
      imperial Irene and Constantine, was held in the splendid city of
      Nicaea against those who of a truth accused Christians and brought
      them to trial.

      Let all the ungodly depart who do not venerate the precious icon of
      the Theotokos and do not proclaim her to be the one who gave birth to
      Christ theandrically; and let them be sent into the fire, to burn
      without being consumed.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 3: Let the heavens be glad; let
      earthly things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His
      arm. / He hath trampled down death by death; / the first-born of the
      dead hath He become. / From the belly of Hades hath He delivered us //
      and Hath granted to the world great mercy.

      Troparion of the Fathers, Tone 8: Most glorified art Thou, O Christ
      our God, / Who hast established our holy fathers as luminous stars
      upon the earth, / and through them didst guide us all to the true
      Faith. // O Most merciful One, glory be to Thee.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 3: Thou didst rise today from the
      tomb, O Merciful One, / and didst lead us out of the gates of death. /
      Today Adam danceth and Eve rejoiceth; / and together with them both
      the prophets and patriarchs // unceasingly praise the divine might of
      Thine authority.

      Glory...

      Kontakion of the Fathers, Tone 6: The Son Who shined forth from the
      Father ineffably was born, / twofold of nature, of a woman. / Knowing
      Him, we deny not the image of His form; / but depicting it piously, we
      revere it faithfully. / And for this cause, the Church, in that it
      holdeth the true faith, // doth kiss the icon of Christ’s incarnation.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: O chant unto our God, chant
      ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice
      of rejoicing.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our
      fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
      Choir: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised
      and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Second Epistle of the Holy Apostle
      Paul to the Corinthians.

      [Galatians 1:11-19 (§200)]: Brethren: But I certify you, brethren,
      that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. * For I
      neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the
      revelation of Jesus Christ. * For ye have heard of my conversation in
      time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted
      the church of God, and wasted it: * And profited in the Jews' religion
      above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly
      zealous of the traditions of my fathers. * But when it pleased God,
      who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, *
      To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen;
      immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: * Neither went I up
      to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into
      Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. * Then after three years I
      went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. *
      But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

      [Hebrews 13:7-16 (§334)]: Brethren: Remember them which have the
      rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith
      follow, considering the end of their conversation. * Jesus Christ the
      same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. * Be not carried about with
      divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be
      established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them
      that have been occupied therein. * We have an altar, whereof they have
      no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. * For the bodies of those
      beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest
      for sin, are burned without the camp. * Wherefore Jesus also, that he
      might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the
      gate. * Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing
      his reproach. * For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one
      to come. * By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to
      God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his
      name. * But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such
      sacrifices God is well pleased.

      Priest: Peace be to him that readeth.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 3rd Tone: In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let
      me not be put to shame in the age to come.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to save me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 1st Tone: The God of gods, the Lord hath spoken, and
      He hath called the earth from the rising of the sun unto the setting
      thereof.

      [Luke 7:11-16 (§30)]: At that time, Jesus went into a city called
      Nain; and many of his disciples went with him, and much people. * Now
      when he came nigh to the gate of the city, behold, there was a dead
      man carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow: and
      much people of the city was with her. * And when the Lord saw her, he
      had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not. * And he came and
      touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. And he said,
      Young man, I say unto thee, Arise. * And he that was dead sat up, and
      began to speak. And he delivered him to his mother. * And there came a
      fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is
      risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people.

      [John 17:1-13 (§56)]: The Lord lifted up his eyes to heaven, and
      said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may
      glorify thee: * As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he
      should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. * And this
      is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and
      Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. * I have glorified thee on the
      earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. * And now,
      O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I
      had with thee before the world was. * I have manifested thy name unto
      the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and
      thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. * Now they have
      known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. * For
      I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have
      received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and
      they have believed that thou didst send me. * I pray for them: I pray
      not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are
      thine. * And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am
      glorified in them. * And now I am no more in the world, but these are
      in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own
      name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. *
      While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those
      that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son
      of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. * And now come I
      to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have
      my joy fulfilled in themselves.

      COMMUNION

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice in
      the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Alleluia,
      Alleluia, Alleluia!