Re: [ustav] Ustav Notes - a Proposal to all members

    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 31, 2009

      [ml] I *love* the idea, but how "brain-dead" do you want to make it?
      'Cause I can be pretty brain-dead! ;-) (For example -- if you
      happen to have been delayed on the road and get to church after the
      service has already started, what's the "etiquette" for venerating
      icons?")

      In Christ,
      Meg
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 9, 2009
        Thanks to both Reader Daniel and Matushka Anna for their responses, as
        well as to people who e-mailed me offlist. Reader Daniel's response
        addresses *exactly* what my concern is, namely -- how much attention
        do you want to draw to yourself, anyway?! On the other hand, I don't
        want to go into a house of worship and not at least say hello to the
        residents.

        This question actually comes up for me more often in the context of
        going to confession prior to receiving Communion: Because of the
        distance from my ROCOR parish, Vigil is out of the question, so going
        to confession is pretty much limited to the reading of the Hours in
        the morning. I'm not the only one in this bind, though, so by the
        time confessions are over, there's barely time to skedaddle up to the
        choir loft for the beginning of Liturgy. At least now I have a sense
        of what's appropriate when.

        (BTW, just to ramp up the brain-dead quotient: Do you venerate ALL
        the icons, or only the main ones? We have icons all over the church,
        and even at Jordanville, I'm torn between "saying hello to everybody"
        and just getting out of the way.)

        TIA,
        Meg