Great Prokimen

  • Dirk van Gorkum
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2009
      Dear List,

      When do we use the Great Prokimen (outside Lent) ?
      I cannot find any explication in my books or in the internet.
      Or can anybody tell me where it is explained?

      Thanks !

      Dirk van Gorkum

    • Dn. Sergius Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2009
        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Dirk van Gorkum" <dvangorkum@...> wrote:

        > Dear List,
        >
        > When do we use the Great Prokimen (outside Lent) ?
        > I cannot find any explication in my books or in the internet.
        > Or can anybody tell me where it is explained?
        >
        > Thanks !
        >
        > Dirk van Gorkum

        On all the days of Bright Week. During the Vespers on the day itself of the Great Feasts of the Savior except the Entry into Jerusalem. If the Great Feast falls on Sat. then the great prokeimenon is transferred to the eve of the Feast because Sat. has its own great prokeimenon. The texts are in the Menaion.

        Dn. Sergius Miller
      • Dn. Sergius Miller
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2009
          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Dn. Sergius Miller" <srbmillerr@...> > > When do we use the Great Prokimen (outside Lent) ?
          > > I cannot find any explication in my books or in the internet.
          > > Or can anybody tell me where it is explained?
          > >
          > > Thanks !
          > >
          > > Dirk van Gorkum
          >

          > On all the days of Bright Week. During the Vespers on the day itself of the Great Feasts of the Savior except the Entry into Jerusalem. If the Great Feast falls on Sat. then the great prokeimenon is transferred to the eve of the Feast because Sat. has its own great prokeimenon. The texts are in the Menaion.
          >
          > Dn. Sergius Miller

          One correction: The great prokeimena for Ascension & Pentecost are found in the Pentecostarion.

          DnS
        • nikifor54
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2009
            The Great Prokimen "What God is so great as our God" is also chanted on the evening of Antipascha, i.e., Thomas Sunday.