[ustav] Kamilavka

  • MylesWI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 1999
      There is such a diversity in our tradition [Greek Catholic] for the wearing
      of the kamilavka, therefore, I pose the question:

      during the Divine Liturgy and secondly during Vespers, when does a deacon
      remove his kamilavka?
    • hilarion@prismnet.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5 12:07 PM
        > There is such a diversity in our tradition [Greek Catholic] for the
        wearing
        > of the kamilavka, therefore, I pose the question:
        > during the Divine Liturgy and secondly during Vespers, when does a
        deacon
        > remove his kamilavka?

        In Russian practice, Deacons do not wear the kamilavka at Divine
        Liturgy when standing in the altar. They put it on before doing some
        liturgical action, whether a censing or an ektenia, and take it off
        when the action is completed. At Vespers, the same is observed
        whenever the Deacon is in the altar, but the kamilavka is generally
        worn whenever the Deacon is outside the altar. It's on for the opening
        censing if there's a vigil, off after the censing at Lord I Have Cried,
        on for the entrance (unless made with the Gospel), on for the prokimen
        and two ektenias. After the bowing of heads the Deacon enters and
        removes his klobuk, but if there is a litia, it is kept on (removed for
        prayer of litia and blessing of loaves), off when the Deacon returns
        into the altar. These guidelines are for a Deacon who is serving; for
        those standing in the temple, it would be a little different.

        Yours in Christ our true God,
        Fr. Hieromonk Aidan+ a sinner
        St. Hilarion Monastery (New Amalfion)
        http://www.prismnet.com/~hilarion
      • MylesWI@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5 2:30 PM
          In a message dated 8/5/99 2:08:45 PM, hilarion@... writes:

          <<

          Thank you ever so much, Fr. Hilarion. Your expertise is greatly appreciated.
          Deacon Myles
        • Fr. Aidan Keller
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5 2:36 PM
            Dear Deacon Myles,

            I hope that was helpful. I'm Fr. Aidan, from St. Hilarion Monastery in
            Austin, Texas.

            Wishing you every good thing in Christ,
            Fr. Hieromonk Aidan+ a sinner
            ST. HILARION MONASTERY (New Amalfion), Austin, TEXAS
            http://www.prismnet.com/~hilarion (92 Western Saints Icons)
            Orthodox Monasteries in America: www.nettinker.com/monasteries
          • MylesWI@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5 4:07 PM
              Yes, it was very helpful and practical as is all good liturgical usage.

              Never heard of your Metropolia but was fascinated by it. You aren't members
              of SCOBA, are you?

              Would love to hear any additional information you might have.

              Myles
            • Priest Seraphim Holland
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5 9:25 PM
                > Never heard of your Metropolia but was fascinated by it. You aren't members
                > of SCOBA, are you?
                >
                > Would love to hear any additional information you might have.

                This type of information does not belong on the list, and MUST be
                sent in private email.

                The List manager.

                Priest Seraphim Holland St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Dallas, Texas, USA
                seraphim@... Ph:972/529-2754 MOBILE & VOICE MAIL 214 336-3464
                FAX: 603/908-2408 Home Address: 2102 Summit, McKinney, TX 75070, USA
                WEBMASTER FOR: St Nicholas Home Page - http://www.orthodox.net
                Official ROCOR Page - http://www.rocor.org
                10 questions (many subjects) http://www.orthodox.net/questions
                Thoughts on the Sunday gospels http://www.orthodox.net/sermons
              • Fr. Aidan Keller
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 6 5:26 AM
                  Dear Deacon Myles,

                  >Never heard of your Metropolia but was fascinated by it. You aren't members
                  >of SCOBA, are you?

                  Nope.

                  >Would love to hear any additional information you might have.

                  Well, another general rule is that hierodeacons never wear the veil (pani)
                  while vested, only the kamilavka. Are you a monastic? Where you are, are
                  Matins served frequently? There are hat directions for Matins, but they
                  would take a while to clearly type out.