Re: Choir Cues: 34th Sunday after Pentecost - 26 January/8 February 2009

  • Daniel Olson
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
      The provisions of the Typicon that govern a vigil-rank commemoration
      in the Menaion when it falls on the Sunday of the Publican and the
      Pharisee are found under 30 January. Those provisions require that
      the kontakion of the resurrection be read at the Hours (alternating
      with the kontakia of the saints and from the Triodion) and sung at the
      Divine Liturgy as well. The kontakion of the resurrection is, however,
      not sung during Matins.

      Daniel Olson

    • Peter Fekula
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
        This is curious. Why would the presence of a vigil-rank commemoration prompt the inclusion of the Resurrectional kontakion where it otherwise would be omitted?

        The provisions of the Typicon that govern a vigil-rank commemoration
        in the Menaion when it falls on the Sunday of the Publican and the
        Pharisee are found under 30 January. Those provisions require that
        the kontakion of the resurrection be read at the Hours (alternating
        with the kontakia of the saints and from the Triodion) and sung at the
        Divine Liturgy as well. The kontakion of the resurrection is, however,
        not sung during Matins.

        Daniel Olson

        > That makes perfect sense. But I was quoting from the SJKP site,
        > which on this point, does seem to be in error. Perhaps Reader Daniel
        > can illumine us.
        >
        > Fr David Straut
        >

        > 2009/2/6 Dn. Sergius Miller <srbmillerr@...>
        > The kondak of the Resurrection is NOT done this Sunday, either at the
        > Hrs., or during Matins, or in the Liturgy.
        >
        > The Kondak of the triodion is done at the 3rd & 9the hrs.; the new
        > martyrts at the 1st & 6th Hrs.
        >
        > Dn. Sergius Miller
        >

        > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Meg Lark <woolfolk3@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I appear to have made an error in the order of the Hours:
        > >

        > > --- In ChoirCues@yahoogroups.com, Fr_David Straut <FrDavidStraut@>
        > >
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Isn't this correct for the Hours?
        > > > Hours
        > > >
        > > > At each Hour: troparion of the resurrection from the Octoechos;
        > Glory…,
        > > > troparion of the Newmartyrs;
        > > >
        > > > Both now…, theotokion of the Hour.
        > > >
        > > > After the Trisagion Prayersâ€"
        >

        > > > First Hour: kontakion of the resurrection from the Octoechos.
        > > >
        > > > Third Hour: kontakion from the Triodion.
        > > >
        > > > Sixth Hour: kontakion of the New-martyrs.
        > > >
        > > > Ninth Hour: kontakion of the resurrection from the Octoechos.
        > >
        > > The only sources I had to hand indicated that the order for all
        > Hours
        > > was the same.
        > >
        > > See what happens when you leave this stuff in the hands of
        > amateurs...
        > >
        > > In Christ,
        > > Meg
        > >

        > RECENT ACTIVITY
        > 1
        > New Members
        > Visit Your Group
        > Yahoo! Groups
        > Everyday Wellness Zone
        >
        > Check out featured
        >
        > healthy living groups.
        >
        > Y! Groups blog
        > the best source
        >
        > for the latest
        >
        > scoop on Groups.
        >
        > Get in Shape
        > on Yahoo! Groups
        >
        > Find a buddy
        >
        > and lose weight.
        >
        > .

        Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
        (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,
        you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your
        employer does not consent to email or messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
        that do not relate to the official business of the sender's company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

        For more information on WPP's business ethical standards and corporate
        responsibility policies, please refer to WPP's website at
        http://www.wpp.com/WPP/About/

      • Dn. Sergius Miller
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7, 2009
          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fekula <peter.fekula@...> wrote:

          > This is curious. Why would the presence of a vigil-rank
          commemoration prompt the inclusion of the Resurrectional kontakion
          where it otherwise would be omitted.

          I agree Peter. I think it's a mistake.

          DnS

          <srbmillerr@...>; ustav@yahoogroups.com; Peter Fekula; Meg Lark
          <woolfolk3@...>
          > Subject: Re: Choir Cues: 34th Sunday after Pentecost - 26
          January/8 February 2009

        • gregent@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2009
            Fr. Deacon.

            According to 'Bogosluzhebniye Ukazaniya na 2009' issued by the Moscow
            Patriarchate, the Resurrection Kondak IS appointed at both the Hours
            and Liturgy. A citation to Rozanov (C 420) is given as well as a
            reference to the "1st Markov" indication for the 30th of January.

            The 3 Kontakia (Resurrection, Triodion, New Martyrs) are to be read
            alternately at the Hours.

            The order at the Lesser Entrance is:

            For a temple of the Lord or a Saint: tropar of the Resurrection, New
            Martyrs; kondak of the Resurrection , Glory, kondak New Martyrs, Now
            and Ever, Kondak Triodion.

            For a temple of the Theotokos: tropar of the Resurrection, of the
            Temple, New Martyrs; kondak of the Resurrection, kondak Triodion,
            Glory, knodak New Martyrs, Now and ever, Kondak of the temple.

            Reader Gregory Staples

            The kondak of the Resurrection is NOT done this Sunday, either at the
            Hrs., or during Matins, or in the Liturgy.

            The Kondak of the triodion is done at the 3rd & 9the hrs.; the new
            martyrts at the 1st & 6th Hrs.

            Dn. Sergius Miller

            --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Meg Lark <woolfolk3@...> wrote:

            > I appear to hav
            e made an error in the order of the Hours:

            > --- In ChoirCues@yahoogroups.com, Fr_David Straut <FrDavidStraut@>
            >
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Isn't this correct for the Hours?
            > > Hours
            > >
            > > At each Hour: troparion of the resurrection from the Octoechos;
            Glory…,
            > > troparion of the Newmartyrs;
            > >
            > > Both now…, theotokion of the Hour.
            > >
            > > After the Trisagion Prayersâ€"
            > >
            > > First Hour: kontakion of the resurrection from the Octoechos.
            > >
            > > Third Hour: kontakion from the Triodion.
            > >
            > > Sixth Hour: kontakion of the New-martyrs.
            > >
            > > Ninth Hour: kontakion of the resurrection from the Octoechos.
            >
            > The only sources I had to hand indicated that the order for all
            Hours
            > was the same.
            >
            > See what happens when you leave this stuff in the hands of
            amateurs...

            > In Christ,
            > Meg

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Raphael W. Stephens III
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 7, 2009
              Dear Meg--for some reason I didn't get the Choir Cues for this weekend. Thanks for all of your work in our behalf.
              Fr. Seraphim Stephens
              rwstephe@... (also records as raphael.stephens@...)

              ________________________________

              That makes perfect sense. But I was quoting from the SJKP site, which on
              this point, does seem to be in error. Perhaps Reader Daniel can illumine us.
              Fr David Straut

              2009/2/6 Dn. Sergius Miller <srbmillerr@...>

              > The kondak of the Resurrection is NOT done this Sunday, either at the
              > Hrs., or during Matins, or in the Liturgy.
              >
              > The Kondak of the triodion is done at the 3rd & 9the hrs.; the new
              > martyrts at the 1st & 6th Hrs.
              >
              > Dn. Sergius Miller
              >

              > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com <ustav%40yahoogroups.com>, Meg Lark
              > <woolfolk3@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I appear to have made an error in the order of the Hours:
              > >

              > > --- In ChoirCues@yahoogroups.com <ChoirCues%40yahoogroups.com>, Fr_David
              > Straut <FrDavidStraut@>
              > >
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Isn't this correct for the Hours?
              > > > Hours
              > > >
              > > > At each Hour: troparion of the resurrection from the Octoechos;
              > GloryâEUR¦,
              > > > troparion of the Newmartyrs;
              > > >
              > > > Both nowâEUR¦, theotokion of the Hour.
              > > >
              > > > After the Trisagion PrayersâEUR"
              > > >
              > > > First Hour: kontakion of the resurrection from the Octoechos.
              > > >
              > > > Third Hour: kontakion from the Triodion.
              > > >
              > > > Sixth Hour: kontakion of the New-martyrs.
              > > >
              > > > Ninth Hour: kontakion of the resurrection from the Octoechos.
              > >
              > > The only sources I had to hand indicated that the order for all
              > Hours
              > > was the same.
              > >
              > > See what happens when you leave this stuff in the hands of
              > amateurs...
              > >
              > > In Christ,
              > > Meg

              Yahoo! Groups Links