Re: Znammeny Chant

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2008
      Reader Silouan, you have put your finger right on it; and Jopi Harri
      has recently pointed out that the St Petersburg chant provides for
      stichera what is obviously a variant of the "Kievan" chant. There is
      indeed a "Kievan" family.

      To stick with just the samohlasen melodies, The "Kievan" chant found
      in the chant books of the Russian Holy Synod, published beginning in
      the eighteenth century, represent the way the melodies were sung in
      Moscow after they had been learned from Kievan singers in the
      seventeenth century. The printed chant books of the Kiev Caves Lavra
      contain a setting for monastic choir, representing the way the
      melodies were sung in the Lavra in the late nineteenth century (after
      the imposition of the Nikonian text in the middle of that century,
      which required some revision). The St Petersburg chant represents the
      way they were sung in, well, three guesses. The printed Irmologia of
      L'viv and Pochaev represent the way they were sung in those centers in
      the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The several books of Galician
      chant supplementary to the irmologion contain versions from several
      centers in Galicia. The Bokšaj Prostopinije provides the version of
      the cathedral in Uzhhorod at the beginning of the twentieth century;
      the Khoma Prostopinije, that of the Mukachevo monastery ca 1930; the
      Bobak Prostopinije, that of Prešov in the mid-twentieth century.
      Vorobkevych provides the version sung in Bukovyna. &c. The manuscript
      Irmologia sometimes supply further variants, from locales in
      Bielarus', Ukraine, & Carpathian Rus'.

      These melodies have been transmitted mostly orally, with books playing
      an ancillary roll. That is also true of the Lesser Znamenny Chant,
      which clearly shares a common ancestry with the Kievan chant but
      developed differently over a number of centuries. The existence of
      local variants described by Nikita in this thread attests to the
      primacy of oral tradition here. If we ever have reprints or good
      on-line versions of the rather numerous diocesan and monastic chant
      books published in Russia in the later nineteenth century and down to
      the Bolshevik coup ("Great October Revolution"), we shall surely find
      a number of further variants of both Lesser Znamenny and Kievan