Choir Cues: 17th Sunday after Pentecost, 29 September/12 October 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2008
      For this day, the SJKP Liturgical Calendar specifies a six-stichera
      service to St. Cyriacus.

      The outline given is for a temple dedicated to a saint. If your temple
      is dedicated to the Lord or the Theotokos, please make the appropriate
      adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me at
      woolfolk3@.... However, please note that translations are from
      another source, and are not my own. Please note, also, that the Gospel
      readings reflect the "Lucan Jump," so please take into account the
      practice of your own parish as to which Gospel needs to be taken into
      account.

      My thanks, as always, to Fr. John Whiteford and Fr. John McCuen for
      the work they do in putting these services together -- I could not put
      the Choir Cues together without their input. (Neither contributed to
      my little leap into history last week, when the Choir Cues came
      through for 22 September/5 October in the year 200...)

      In Christ,
      Meg Lark

      29 September/12 October 2008: Six-Stichera service to St. Cyriacus
      (1C). Tone 8.

      Sunday Readings:

      Epistle: 2 Corinthians 6:16b-7:1 AND Galatians 5:22-6:2
      Gospel: Matthew 15:21-28 OR Luke 6:31-36 AND Luke 6:17-23a

      St. Cyriacus the Anchorite of Palestine. St. Theophanes the Merciful
      of Gaza. Martyrs Dada, Gabdelas and Casdoe (Casdoa) of Persia.
      Martyr Gudelia of Persia. Eighty Holy Martyrs of Byzantium. St.
      Cyprian, Abbot of Ustiug (Vologda). New Hieromartyr John, Archbishop
      of Riga in Latvia (1934). Greek Calendar: Martyrs Tryphon,
      Trophimus, and Dorymedon, and 150 Martyrs in Palestine. Martyr
      Petronia. Translation of the relics of St. Neophytus the Enclosed.
      St. Auxentius the Wonderworker.

      Reader and Choir Cues

      HOURS

      For all Hours:
      Troparion of St. Cyriacus

      Resurrectional Kontakion

      BEATITUDE VERSES: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon to the Saint

      1. Remember us, O Christ, Thou Savior of the world, as Thou didst
      remember the thief upon the Cross; and account us all worthy of Thy
      heavenly kingdom, O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

      2. Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve; for he who of old stripped
      you both naked, and by deception hath taken all of us captive, hath
      been set at nought by the Cross of Christ.

      3. Nailed of Thine own will to the Tree, O our Savior, Thou didst
      deliver Adam from the curse which came through the tree, and hast
      rewarded that which is in Thine image with a dwelling in paradise, in
      that Thou art compassionate.

      4. Today is Christ risen from the tomb, granting incorruption unto
      all the faithful; and He reneweth the joy of the myrrh-bearing women
      after His suffering and resurrection.

      5. Rejoice, O wise myrrh-bearing women, who were first to behold the
      resurrection of Christ, and who proclaimed to the apostles the glad
      tidings of the restoration of the whole world!

      6. O ye apostles, who are manifestly the friends of Christ and are to
      be enthroned with Him in glory: entreat Him with boldness, that He
      intercede for us, for ye are His disciples.

      7. Unceasingly traveling the path of life from childhood thou didst
      love thy Creator, O venerable one, and, thirsting for Him, thou didst
      find Him, running like a deer unto streams of water.

      8. O divinely eloquent one, having received, like an animate book,
      thy text on the tablet of thy heart, inscribed by the finger of the
      Spirit, thou didst verily preserve the living commandments of Christ.

      9. In gladness didst thou make thyself a noetic temple for the
      Trinity, cleansing thy mind, body and soul, O thrice blessed one; and
      thou didst become a receptacle of the light of the threefold Sun.

      10. O Mary Theotokos, a Virgin who knewest not wedlock, thou didst
      give birth, and, unwedded, didst remain Virgin, O Mother. Entreat
      thou Christ our God that we be saved.

      TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 8: From on high didst Thou descend, O
      compassionate One; / to burial of three days hast Thou submitted /
      that Thou mightest free us from our passions. // O our Life and
      Resurrection, O Lord, glory be to Thee.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Cyriacus, Tone 1: A desert dweller, an angel in the
      flesh and a wonderworker / wast thou shown to be, O our God-bearing
      father Cyriacus. / For, having acquired heavenly gifts / through
      fasting, vigilance and prayer, / thou dost heal the infirm / and the
      souls of those who have recourse to thee with faith. / Glory to Him
      Who gave thee strength! / Glory to Him Who crowned thee! // Glory to
      Him Who worketh healings for all through thee!

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 8: Having risen from the tomb, Thou
      didst raise up the dead and didst resurrect Adam. / Eve also danceth
      at Thy Resurrection, // and the ends of the world celebrate Thine
      arising from the dead, O Greatly-merciful one.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory…

      Kontakion of St. Cyriacus, Tone 2: Having armed thyself divinely with
      spiritual purity / and having mightily taken up unceasing prayer as a
      spear, / thou didst cut down legions of demons, / O Cyriacus our
      father. // Pray thou unceasingly in behalf of us all.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 8th Tone: Make your vows and pay them
      to the Lord our God.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: In Judea is God known, His name is great in Israel.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: Precious in the sight of the
      Lord is the death of His saints.
      Choir: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Second Epistle of the Holy Apostle
      Paul to the Corinthians.

      [2 Corinthians 6:16b – 7:1]: Brethren: Ye are the temple of the
      living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them;
      and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. * Wherefore come
      out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not
      the unclean thing; and I will receive you, * And will be a Father unto
      you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. *
      Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse
      ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting
      holiness in the fear of God.

      [Galatians 5:22-6:2]: Brethren: The fruit of the Spirit is love,
      joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, * meekness,
      temperance: against such there is no law. * And they that are Christ's
      have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. * If we live
      in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. * Let us not be
      desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another. *
      If a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such
      an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also
      be tempted. * Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of
      Christ.

      Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
      Reader: And to thy spirit.

      THE ALLELUIA
      (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Alleluia in the 8th Tone: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let us
      shout with jubilation unto God our Savior.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and
      with psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 6th tone: Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord; in
      His commandments shall he greatly delight.

      [Matthew 15:21-28]: At that time, Jesus went thence, and departed
      into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon. * And, behold, a woman of Canaan
      came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on
      me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a
      devil. * But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and
      besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. * But he
      answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house
      of Israel. * Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
      * But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's
      bread, and to cast it to dogs. * And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the
      dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. * Then
      Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it
      unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that
      very hour.

      OR

      [Luke 6:31-36]: The Lord said: As ye would that men should do to
      you, do ye also to them likewise. * For if ye love them which love
      you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. *
      And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye?
      for sinners also do even the same. * And if ye lend to them of whom ye
      hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners,
      to receive as much again. * But love ye your enemies, and do good, and
      lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye
      shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the
      unthankful and to the evil. * Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father
      also is merciful.

      AND

      [Luke 6:17-23a]: At that time, he came down with them, and stood in
      the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great multitude of
      people out of all Judaea and Jerusalem, and from the sea coast of Tyre
      and Sidon, which came to hear him, and to be healed of their diseases;
      * And they that were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed.
      * And the whole multitude sought to touch him: for there went virtue
      out of him, and healed them all. * And he lifted up his eyes on his
      disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of
      God. * Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed
      are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh. * Blessed are ye, when men
      shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company,
      and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of
      man's sake. * Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold,
      your reward is great in heaven

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In
      everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid
      of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!