Services of Apostles in Russian Menaia

  • psomalis@hol.gr
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2008
      Dear all,

      I now plan to write an article comparing services between the Greek
      and Slavic Menaia which differ notably. I will commence with those of
      the apostles. Any suggestion when the current slavic services to the
      apostles came into use? I can tell that they must not be very old as
      the podobni rules or the other "unwritten" rules of Greek hymnography
      are not that much followed (cf. October 18th a sticheron in mode III
      after psalm 50 which is a paraphrase of a sedalen!). I read somewhere
      that these services were introduced in 19th century but I cant
      remember anything else.

      Sources in Russian are OK, though English ones are preferrable.

      Thanks.

      Panagiotis
    • Kyril Jenner
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2008
        > I now plan to write an article comparing services between the Greek
        > and Slavic Menaia which differ notably. I will commence with those of
        > the apostles. Any suggestion when the current slavic services to the
        > apostles came into use? I can tell that they must not be very old as
        > the podobni rules or the other "unwritten" rules of Greek hymnography
        > are not that much followed (cf. October 18th a sticheron in mode III
        > after psalm 50 which is a paraphrase of a sedalen!). I read somewhere
        > that these services were introduced in 19th century but I cant
        > remember anything else.

        The differences arose in part from the upgrading of the services for all of
        the Twelve Apsotles to "polyeleos" rank. This required composition of
        additional material. My recollection from reading about this in the past
        is that this occurred in the 19th century.

        Archimandrite Kyril Jenner

        http://www.mynachdy-sant-elias.org.uk
      • Edward Lambertsen
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2008
          Dear List,

          I have heard over the course of many years that the amplification of
          the services of the apostles took place during the reign of Peter I,
          in the first decades of the 18th century. I have not seen this in
          print, that I can remember, but it seems to be something widely held
          among Russian afficionados of things liturgical. Perhaps there is a
          footnote somewhere in Bulgakov's Desk Manual that someone can refer
          us to.

          Isaac Lambertsen

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2008
            Dear father Kyril and Rdr. Isaac,