[ustav] Re: liturgy of St Gregory?

  • Rev. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 1999
      In traditional parlance, the Liturgy of St. Gregory (aside from the
      Presanctified Liturgy of St. Gregory) refers *not* to that of the Roman
      tradition, but to the Liturgy of St. Gregory of Neocesaria in Asia Minor.
      I have the text of this service in Greek. I believe it is now celebrated
      again in some places in Greece, and perhaps even here and there in the
      Greek diaspora. Outwardly it is very close to the Liturgy of St. Basil,
      but there are different prayers said by the priest (although some of them
      are the same as those in the "familiar" Liturgies).
      I believe that in the Antiochian Church, the "Liturgy of St.
      Gregory" usually means something else, the Roman liturgical tradition.
      This is understandable, but evidence shows that the Roman Anaphora
      predates his time--St. Gregory Dialogus merely edited the liturgical books
      and brought them into a clearer order. Prebably it would be better not to
      use this designation, for the sake of clarity.
      Fr. John R. Shaw