Re: [ustav] three Holy God vs two Holy Gods then Glory

  • Deacon Michael Bishop
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 16, 2008
      In Orthodoxy everything we do in in groups of three because in the
      Trinity there is one God in THREE Persons. You never say "Lord, have
      mercy" twice at the end of some petitions. You say it either once or
      three times.

      Deacon Michael

      presphotini wrote:
      > Could someone please again articulate for (both) arguments, the
      > theological correctedness of
      >
      > Three Holy God then the Glory to the Father
      >
      > vs
      >
      > Two Holy God then Glory to the Father.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > In Christ,
      >
      > Photini

      Deacon Michael Bishop
      PO Box 23485
      Baltimore MD 21213-5485
      http://www.Michael-Bishop.com

      See you at the Russian Festival
      17-19 October 2008
    • Fr. Seraphim
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 16, 2008
        I'M WONDERING IF THE QUESTION REFERS TO THE WAY WE SING THE THREE-oops-sorry
        for caps-she may be referring to two Holy Gods, Glory, and partial, and then
        one more full---as maybe opposed to saying the Holy God three times straight
        and then the Glory, which I've never heard in our Services.

        Fr. Seraphim Stephens

        _____

        presphotini wrote:
        > Could someone please again articulate for (both) arguments, the
        > theological correctedness of
        >
        > Three Holy God then the Glory to the Father
        >
        > vs
        >
        > Two Holy God then Glory to the Father.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > In Christ,
        >
        > Photini

        yahoogroups.com
        > URL to archives: http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ustav>
        yahoo.com/group/ustav

        > http://www.orthodox <http://www.orthodox.net/ustav> .net/ustav
        > http://www.orthodox <http://www.orthodox.net/services> .net/services

        Deacon Michael Bishop
        PO Box 23485
        Baltimore MD 21213-5485
        http://www.Michael- <http://www.Michael-Bishop.com> Bishop.com

        See you at the Russian Festival
        17-19 October 2008

      • Lewis Whitaker
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 2008
          or twelve, or FOURTY times! :)

          Lew

          On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Deacon Michael Bishop <
          Photo@...> wrote:

          > In Orthodoxy everything we do in in groups of three because in the
          > Trinity there is one God in THREE Persons. You never say "Lord, have
          > mercy" twice at the end of some petitions. You say it either once or
          > three times.
          >
          > Deacon Michael
          >
          > presphotini wrote:
          > > Could someone please again articulate for (both) arguments, the
          > > theological correctedness of
          > >
          > > Three Holy God then the Glory to the Father
          > >
          > > vs
          > >
          > > Two Holy God then Glory to the Father.
          > >
          > > Thank you.
          > >
          > > In Christ,
          > >
          > > Photini

          > > More ustav information and service texts:
          > > http://www.orthodox.net/ustav
          > > http://www.orthodox.net/services
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Deacon Michael Bishop
          > PO Box 23485
          > Baltimore MD 21213-5485
          > http://www.Michael-Bishop.com
          >
          > See you at the Russian Festival
          > 17-19 October 2008

        • Dn. Sergius Miller
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 16, 2008
            --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. Seraphim" <fr.seraphim@...> wrote:

            > I'M WONDERING IF THE QUESTION REFERS TO THE WAY WE SING THE THREE-
            oops-sorry
            > for caps-she may be referring to two Holy Gods, Glory, and partial,
            and then
            > one more full---as maybe opposed to saying the Holy God three times
            straight
            > and then the Glory, which I've never heard in our Services.
            >
            > Fr. Seraphim Stephens _____

            Dear Father,

            We do it 3 (not 2) times, then GNE, the partial, and once more.

            Dn. Sergius Miller
          • Deacon Michael Bishop
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 16, 2008
              Deacon Sergius is absolutely correct. However, I used to belong to a
              parish which sang it twice instead of three times. In my mind, this is
              absolutely incorrect. I think that this same parish sang it only twice
              after the Great Doxology of Matins also.

              Maybe the issue is really that of repetition. In many of our feasts we
              repeat certain hymns and many parishes would do them only once. If the
              service is bilingual, they would do it in one language the first time
              and in the other language the second time.

              Singing Holy God only twice instead of three times might be the way that
              some parishes are dealing with repetition.

              Many parishes also skip most of or all of the Litany before the Lord's
              Prayer because it is a repetition of the Litany after the Great
              Entrance. Many parishes also skip the Litanies after the Gospel, most
              of which are repetition. But the prayers that the priest says are not
              repetition, but the people don't hear them any way and many service
              books do not print them.

              Deacon Michael

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 16, 2008
                Sorry-we do it three times also-I must be missing a finger on my right hand!

                Fr. Seraphim

                _____