Re: [ustav] Choir Cues: 8th Sunday after Pentecost - 28 July/10 August 2008

  • johnedean@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2008
      Meg:

      This is water under the bridge at this point, but I noticed a couple of anomalies regarding the way Fr. John Whiteford's website laid out the Smolensk icon service for tonight. First, he indicated at the end of Vespers that the hymn to the Theotokos should be done twice, followed by the troparion of the icon once. But the Order of Divine Services (1D) that you refer to below says that this is only done for a Vigil-rank service, and the Smolensk icon service is only Polyeleos rank, not Vigil. So, I'm a bit puzzled by this.

      Also, Fr. John's site says that the last two stichera of the Praises in Matins should be proceeded by special verses, but again, the Order of Divine Services says this is only done for Vigil-rank services, not Polyeleos-rank.

      Maybe I'm revealing my lack of expertise in liturgics, but I was hoping someone could explain these seeming discrepancies to me. I'm cc'ing the list in the hope that someone could explain this. Many thanks in advance!

      Subdeacon John Dean
      Washington, DC

      From: "Meg Lark" <woolfolk3@...>

> [...]
      > things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; *
      > And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the
      > glory of God the Father.
      >
      > Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
      > Reader: And to thy spirit.
      >

      > THE ALLELUIA
      > (NO PAUSE before first verse)
      >
      > Reader: Alleluia in the 7th Tone: It is good to give praise unto the
      > Lord, and to chant unto Thy name, O Most High.
      > Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      > Reader: To proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night.
      > Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      > Reader: In the 8th Tone: Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thine ear.
      > Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      >

      > GOSPEL
      >
      > [Matthew 14:14-22]: At that time, Jesus went forth, and saw a great
      > multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed
      > their sick. * And when it was evening, his disciples came to him,
      > saying, This is a desert place, and the time is now past; send the
      > multitude away, that they may go into the villages, and buy themselves
      > victuals. * But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye
      > them to eat. * And they say unto him, We have here but five loaves,
      > and two fishes. * He said, Bring them hither to me. * And he commanded
      > the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and
      > the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and
      > gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.
      > * And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the
      > fragments that remained twelve baskets full. * And they that had eaten
      > were about five thousand men, beside women and children. * And
      > straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to
      > go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.
      >
      > [Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-28]: At that time, he entered into a certain
      > village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
      > * And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and
      > heard his word. * But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came
      > to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me
      > to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. * And Jesus
      > answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and
      > troubled about many things: * But one thing is needful: and Mary hath
      > chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. And it
      > came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company
      > lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare
      > thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. * But he said, Yea rather,
      > blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.
      >

      > COMMUNION VERSE: Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the
      > highest! I will take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the
      > name of the Lord. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

    • Fr. John Whiteford
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2008
        I based my rubrics on the way it was laid out in the Jordanville Calendar, rather than on the ODS. However, the SJOKP calendar did not refer to 1D for the Smolensk Icon, but rather to Appendix IV, which is not in the current ODS -- to find Appendix IV you would have to hung on to your 2004 calendar.

        It calls for doing the troparion of the Icon 3 times at the end of vespers. It also states that the last two verses at vespers are from the Vespers Aposticha in the Menaion.

        As a rule though, my understanding is that any time there are verses from the Menaion, that the last two psalm verses also come from the Menaion. The two verses that are in the Horologion for Sundays are only used when all 8 verses are taken from the Octoechos.

        -Fr. John Whiteford

        From: "Meg Lark"

> [...]
        > heard his word. * But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came
        > to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me
        > to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. * And Jesus
        > answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and
        > troubled about many things: * But one thing is needful: and Mary hath
        > chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. And it
        > came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company
        > lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare
        > thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. * But he said, Yea rather,
        > blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.
        >

        > COMMUNION VERSE: Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the
        > highest! I will take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the
        > name of the Lord. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Fr. John Whiteford
        St. Jonah Orthodox Church
        Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

      • Daniel Olson
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2008
          On Aug 10, 2008, Fr. John Whiteford wrote:

          > �the SJOKP calendar did not refer to 1D for the Smolensk Icon, but
          > rather to Appendix IV, which is not in the current ODS -- to find
          > Appendix IV you would have to hung on to your 2004 calendar.

          The "Liturgical Calendar" for 2008 contains the following in the
          Editor's Notes:

          "When rubrics for a particular commemoration are not available in The
          Order of Divine Services, reference is often made in the Liturgical
          Calendar to special rubrics contained in one of the following
          appendices:

          Appendix I: Polyeleos or Vigil Rank Commemorations during Bright Week
          Appendix II: The Lenten Service during the Lesser Fasts
          Appendix III: The Saturday Requiem Service
          Appendix IV: Icons of the Theotokos on Sunday
          Appendix V: Icons of the Theotokos on Weekdays

          "These appendices appeared in the 2004 Orthodox Liturgical Calendar,
          also available as a separate booklet, Appendices to the Order of
          Divine Services, from the Saint John of Kronstadt Press."

          Anyone who would like to obtain the five appendices may order the
          separate booklet containing them on-line at <<www.sjkp.org>>. It is
          anticipated that these appendices will be incorporated into Vol. 2 of
          the ODS, which is tentatively due to be published by the end of this
          year.

          Daniel Olson

        • Peter Fekula
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 12, 2008
            Stranger things have happened, of course, but I'd be surprised if the Order
            of Divine Services really directs that special verses at Praises are to be
            used only during Vigil-rank services. This rule obtains for Doxology-,
            Polyeleos-, and Vigil-rank services -- any time the commemoration in the
            Menaion calls for a sung doxology that is preceded by stichera at Praises.
            Here's the order:

            When there are no stichera at Praises in the Menaion:
            - Sing all 8 resurrectional stichera in the Oktoechos.
            - The verses are the last 6 verses of the Praises psalms and two
            resurrectional verses: "Arise, O Lord, my God..." and "I will
            confess/praise Thee, O Lord..."

            When there are stichera at Praises in the Menaion:
            - Sing the first 4 resurrectional stichera in the Oktoechos and 4 stichera
            from the Menaion. If the service in the Menaion has 4 stichera and a
            doxasticon, sing the first 3 stichera and the doxasticon, omitting the 4th
            sticheron. If the service has 3 stichera (directing that the first one be
            sung twice) and a doxasticon, sing each sticheron (including the
            doxasticon) once, amounting to 4.
            - For the verses, use the last 6 verses of the Praises psalms; do not then
            use the 2 additional resurrectional verses in this case, since the stichera
            that follow them are from the Menaion commemoration, rather than from the
            Sunday service. Instead, one typically refers back to the verses at the
            Vespers Aposticha in the Menaion, using those here. This works out nicely,
            because they will not have been chanted in their place at Vespers, since
            the resurrectional Aposticha take precedence. In a very small number of
            cases, there are no Aposticha stichera in the Menaion from which to take
            verses; in these cases, I typically use the prokimenon or alleluia verses
            in the Menaion from the next day's Liturgy.

            Peter Fekula

            "Fr. John
            Whiteford"
            <frjohnwhiteford@ To
            yahoo.com> ustav@yahoogroups.com
            08/10/2008 06:39
            AM

            johnedean@... wrote: Meg:

[...]

            Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
            (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,
            you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your
            employer does not consent to email or messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
            that do not relate to the official business of the sender's company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

            For more information on WPP's business ethical standards and corporate
            responsibility policies, please refer to WPP's website at
            http://www.wpp.com/WPP/About/
          • John Dean
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 13, 2008
              Thank you for this information, Peter. Based on this I'll do this from now on.

              Looking again now at the Order of Divine Services, at least the version I have (2nd edition revised, published in 1997 -- I don't know if this is the current version), I see now what the problem may be. At the bottom of page 17 (which applies to a six-stichera, doxology, or polyeleos-rank service), it states:

              The Praises: We sing four stichera from the Octoechos and four from the Menaion (the fourth sticheron should be the doxasticon, regardless of the number of stichera given in the Menaion); Glory ... the appointed gospel sticheron; Now and ever ... Most blessed art thou ...

              Note that it doesn't say anything at all here about the verses or where they come from. By contrast, on page 22 (which applies to Vigil-rank services), it states:

              The Praises: We sing eight stichera: four from the Octoechos and four from the Menaion (the fourth sticheron should be the doxasticon, regardless of the number of stichera given in the Menaion; before the last two stichera from the Menaion we use the verses from the Vespers Aposticha, instead of the usual Sunday verses); Glory ... the appointed gospel sticheron; Now and ever ... Most blessed art thou ...

              Thus, for a Vigil-rank service, it talks about using the verses from the Vespers Aposticha, but for the lower-ranked services it says nothing about this. I made the assumption from this (apparently incorrectly) that one does this only for Vigil-rank services.

              Will this be clarified in the new version?

              Subdeacon John Dean
              Washington, DC