Choir Cues: 7th Sunday after Pentecost - 21 July/3 August 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2008
      Well, my thanks to Elizabeth Riggs for filling in for me after my
      surgery (I'm doing very nicely, thanks) and my trip to the Summer
      School of Liturgical Music, about which I cannot say enough good
      things -- I hope that everyone on this list will encourage members of
      their choirs to attend next year, and in the years to come. The
      topics covered in these courses are UNAVAILABLE ANYWHERE ELSE (except.
      of course, for Solfege and Music Theory, available at any college or
      university).

      So what is it with Elizabeth and me?! She comes down with a Baker's
      Dozen of diseases, I take over. I need surgery, she takes over. I
      recover, she gets sick again. I guess I will just ask for prayers for
      *both* of us crocks. ;-)

      OK, back to business, or, as I'm told they say in Russia, "back to our
      sheep." For this day, the SJKP Liturgical Calendar specifies a double
      service to Saints Symeon and John, and Prophet Ezekiel (1B in the
      Order of Divine Services). The outline given is for a temple
      dedicated to a saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or the
      Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have any comments or questions, please contact me. If you have
      corrections, please send them to me at woolfolk3@.... However,
      please note that translations are from another source, and are not my
      own.

      My thanks, as always, to Fr. John Whiteford and Fr. John McCuen for
      the work they do in putting these services together -- and to
      Elizabeth Riggs, for covering the past two months.

      In Christ,
      Meg Lark

      21 July/3 August 2008: Saints Symeon and John, and Prophet Ezekiel (1B)

      Sunday Readings:

      Epistle: Romans 15:1-7
      Gospel: Matthew 9:27-35

      St. Symeon of Emessa, fool for Christ's sake, and his fellow faster
      St. John. Prophet Ezekiel. St. Onuphrius the Silent of the Kiev
      Caves. St. Onesimus, recluse of the Kiev Caves. Opening of the
      relics of St. Anna of Kashin. Martyr Victor of Marseilles. St. Anna,
      mother of St. Sava the Serbian. "Armatia" Icon. Greek Calendar:
      Martyrs Justus, Mathias, Eugene, Theodore, and George. Martyr Acacius
      of Constantinople. St. Eleftherius of "Dry Hill." St. Parthenius of
      Radovizlios, Bishop.

      Reader and Choir Cues

      HOURS

      Third Hour:
      Troparion of the Prophet Ezekiel

      Sixth Hour:
      Troparion of Saints Symeon and St. John

      At all Hours, only the Sunday Kontakion is read. The Kontakia from
      the Menaion are not read.

      BEATITUDE VERSES: 8 from the Octoechos

      1. Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom, O God my Savior, and
      save me, for Thou alone lovest mankind.

      2. By a tree was Adam deceived; yet again by the Tree of the Cross
      was the thief saved, who cried out: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O
      Lord!

      3. O Bestower of life, Who hadst broken down the gates and portals of
      hades, Thou hast saved all who cry out to Thee, O Savior: Glory to
      Thine arising!

      4. O Thou Who by Thy burial hast made death captive, and by Thy
      resurrection hast filled all with joy: remember me, in that Thou art
      compassionate.

      5. The myrrh-bearing women who came to the tomb heard an angel cry
      out: Christ, Who hath enlightened all things is risen!

      6. Together let us all hymn Christ, Who was nailed to the Cross and
      hath delivered the world from beguilement.

      7. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit let us glorify, saying: O
      Holy Trinity, save Thou our souls!

      8. O Virgin, who ineffably conceived in the latter days and gavest
      birth unto thy Creator: Save those who magnify thee!

      TROPARIA & KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 6. Angelic hosts were above Thy tomb, /
      and they that guarded Thee became as dead. / And Mary stood by the
      grave seeking Thine immaculate body. / Thou didst despoil hades and
      wast not tempted by it. / Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant
      us life. // O Thou Who didst rise from the dead, O Lord, glory be to
      Thee.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of Saints Symeon and John, Tone 4: O God of our Fathers, /
      Who ever dealest with us according to Thy gentleness, / withdraw not
      Thy mercy from us, / but by their entreaties // govern our life in
      peace.

      Troparion of the Prophet, Tone 2: Celebrating the memory of Thy
      prophet Ezekiel, O Lord, // through him do we entreat Thee: Save Thou
      our souls!

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 6: Having by His life bestowing hand
      raised up all the dead out of the dark abysses, / Christ God, the
      Giver of life, hath bestowed the Resurrection upon the fallen human
      race; / for He is the Savior of all, // the Resurrection, and the
      Life, and the God of all.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Kontakion of Saints Symeon and John, Tone 2: Let us praise the
      God-bearing Symeon, / the peer of the angels, / who appeared in the
      flesh as one incorporeal, / and with him the ever-memorable John: /
      for with faith and love they entreat the Lord unceasingly // in behalf
      of us all.

      Glory…

      Kontakion of the Prophet, Tone 4: Thou hast been shown to be a prophet
      of God, / O wondrous Ezekiel, / and hast proclaimed unto all the
      incarnation of the Lord, / the Lamb and Creator, // the Son of God Who
      hast revealed Himself forever.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 6th Tone: Save, O Lord, Thy people and
      bless Thine inheritance.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: Unto Thee, O Lord, Will I cry; O my God, be not silent unto me.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: Save, O Lord, Thy people.
      Choir: and bless Thine inheritance.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Romans.

      [Romans 15:1-7]: Brethren: We then that are strong ought to bear the
      infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. * Let every one
      of us please his neighbour for his good to edification. * For even
      Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of
      them that reproached thee fell on me. * For whatsoever things were
      written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through
      patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. * Now the God
      of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward
      another according to Christ Jesus: * That ye may with one mind and one
      mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. *
      Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the
      glory of God.

      Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
      Reader: And to thy spirit.

      THE ALLELUIA
      (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 6th Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: He that dwelleth in the help of the Most High shall abide in
      the shelter of the God of heaven.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: He shall say unto the Lord: Thou art my helper and my refuge.
      He is my God, and I will hope in Him.

      [Matthew 9:27-35]: At that time, when Jesus departed thence, two
      blind men followed him, crying, and saying, Thou Son of David, have
      mercy on us. * And when he was come into the house, the blind men came
      to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do
      this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord. * Then touched he their eyes,
      saying, According to your faith be it unto you. * And their eyes were
      opened; and Jesus straitly charged them, saying, See that no man know
      it. * But they, when they were departed, spread abroad his fame in all
      that country. * As they went out, behold, they brought to him a dumb
      man possessed with a devil. * And when the devil was cast out, the
      dumb spake: and the multitudes marvelled, saying, It was never so seen
      in Israel. * But the Pharisees said, He casteth out devils through the
      prince of the devils. * And Jesus went about all the cities and
      villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of
      the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the
      people.

      COMMUNION VERSE: Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the
      highest! Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      Dismissal