Re: Baptism and Matrimony in Slavonic

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2008
      Dear Deacon Michael,

      One way you can get these is through
      http://www.orthlib.ru/worship/trebnik/.

      PowerArchiver, which I use to open zipped files incl. RAR, will ask if
      you want to remove "read only" attribute. The answer to this is
      probably yes, because the dicriticals and the letters not in the new
      orthography will be represented by what appear to be resolved macro
      commands, and will have to be replaced either by the intended letters,
      or by modern ones; or in the case of at least some diacriticals they
      could be omitted. That means some further work after downloading, but
      it will also allow you to put them into a decent-looking Cyrillic
      font. If you want to do the right thing, you can use, for example,
      Linotype Palatino, legible, a lot better-looking than Times New Roman,
      and possessing all the old-orthography letters in grazhdanka form
      (not, alas, accented vowels, but this is fairly easily remedied by
      Format > Font > Character spacing, where you can reduce the spacing
      before an accent mark to a minus width to position it where you want
      it over the preceding vowel. Put a very narrow space after it and it
      won't interfere with the letter following. By doing this and then
      using Search & Replace, you can easily turn the weird combos into the
      proper letters incl. old orthography, thus eliminating the more
      objectionable aspects of Slavonic in New Orthography and giving the
      congregation accent marks, where are genuinely useful to them
      (all-acute monotonic is ok in this context).

      Stephen

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Deacon Michael Bishop <Photo@...> wrote:

      > I'm putting together the bi-lingual service books for Baptism and
      > Matrimony and I need the text in Slavonic for both. Can somebody
      direct
      > me to a site that has the text in modern Russian letters in either
      Word,