Re: [ustav] Re: All Saints of Britain

  • Fr. John Whiteford
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
      I suspect it is simply a matter of this coming Sunday being the feast of Ss. Peter and Paul on the New Calendar.

      That would seem to making doing the feast of all saints of America problematic for those on the New Calendar.

      -Fr. John Whiteford

      frjsilver@... wrote: How is this to be understood?

      In ancient tradition, the only church founded by both Sts Peter and Paul is the church at Rome, highly respected for its orthodoxy for half the christian centuries, but now so fallen..

      Monk James

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
        On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Fr. John Whiteford
        <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

        > I suspect it is simply a matter of this coming Sunday being the feast of Ss.
        > Peter and Paul on the New Calendar.
        >
        > That would seem to making doing the feast of all saints of America
        > problematic for those on the New Calendar.

        [ml] Exactly right.

        Kissing your right hand,
        Meg Lark, unhappily in an NC parish

        --
        Слава Богу за всё!
      • Dn. Sergius Miller
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
          <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

          > I suspect it is simply a matter of this coming Sunday being the
          feast of Ss. Peter and Paul on the New Calendar.

          > That would seem to making doing the feast of all saints of America
          problematic for those on the New Calendar.

          > -Fr. John Whiteford

          Yes, Fr. John, I agree. BUT for the OCA the Rubrics Book tries to
          combine the feast of Sts. Peter & Paul w/the Resurrection AND All
          Sts. of N.A. This is an absolutely infelicitous solution. All
          Saints of the North America should have been transferred to the
          following Sunday. It is afterall a very recent & somewhat moveable
          feast & of lesser rank than Sts. Peter & Paul which does have an
          afterfeast of one day, as do the two major feast days of St. John the
          Baptist.

          In XC,
          Dn. Sergius Miller
        • Peter Fekula
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
            I agree with Deacon Sergius.

            While in the Old Calendar the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul cannot fall as early as the 2nd Sunday after Pentecost, the Nativity of the Forerunner (June 24/July 7) can, and did in 2002. The ROCOR rubrics at the time directed that the commemoration of the Saints of Russia be moved to the following Sunday, 1/14 July (after the Apostles' Fast, for a change), so as not to displace or minimize the vigil-rank commemoration for the Forerunner..

            I'm not sure what was indicated in the Moscow Patriarchate's rubrics.

            Peter Fekula

            > I suspect it is simply a matter of this coming Sunday being the
            feast of Ss. Peter and Paul on the New Calendar.

            > That would seem to making doing the feast of all saints of America
            problematic for those on the New Calendar.

            > -Fr. John Whiteford

            Yes, Fr. John, I agree. BUT for the OCA the Rubrics Book tries to
            combine the feast of Sts. Peter & Paul w/the Resurrection AND All
            Sts. of N.A. This is an absolutely infelicitous solution. All
            Saints of the North America should have been transferred to the
            following Sunday. It is afterall a very recent & somewhat moveable
            feast & of lesser rank than Sts. Peter & Paul which does have an
            afterfeast of one day, as do the two major feast days of St. John the
            Baptist.

            In XC,
            Dn. Sergius Miller

            Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
            (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,
            you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your
            employer does not consent to email or messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
            that do not relate to the official business of the sender's company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

            For more information on WPP's business ethical standards and corporate
            responsibility policies, please refer to WPP's website at
            http://www.wpp.com/WPP/About/

          • WILLIAM BAUMGARTH
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 25, 2008
              The last time that this coincidence of feasts took place, when our
              cathedral parish combined the two set of liturgical texts as the St.
              Tykhon typikon stipulated (including two Apostol and Gospel readings), I
              recall Archbishop Peter, Memory Eternal, in tone of annoyance, explaining
              that the Feast of the Pre-eminent Apostles was the universal exaltation of
              them by the Church catholic, whereas the commemoration of All Saints of
              North America was a mere local celebration. No combination of liturgical
              texts was warranted in his view.
              Patrick

            • Philosoph Uhlman
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                I am hoping that someone could send me a copy of the usual setting of
                Memory Eternal in Russian. We are serving a funeral for one of the
                Older Russians in our parish who just pasted away. I have tried looking
                on the internet, but have had trouble with this probably due to my poor
                Russian skills. We had always been able to sing this is Slavonic in the
                past without music, but many of the members of our current choir don't
                have experience singing any Slavonic, except Pascha - so we need the
                music. If you can help I would really appreciate it.

                Thank you.

                Reader Philosoph Uhlman
                St. Sophia
                Victoria BC Canada
              • Cindy Williams
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                  Dear Philosoph,
                  I have a copy which I could fax to you -- we're in transition with our computers and I don't think we're set up right now to scan and e-mail this to you. My husband is already at church and I'll be leaving shortly for Vigil, but I'll check my e-mail when I get home in a few hours. If you send a fax number to me off-list (cktwms@...) I'll be happy to fax it. Otherwise, I can also check with my husband to see if we can scan it and send it as an attachment. Perhaps in a few hours someone else will already have responded, but if not I'll be happy to help if I can.
                  In Christ,
                  (Matushka)Cindy Williams
                  -- Philosoph Uhlman <philosoph@...> wrote:
                  I am hoping that someone could send me a copy of the usual setting of
                  Memory Eternal in Russian. We are serving a funeral for one of the
                  Older Russians in our parish who just pasted away. I have tried looking
                  on the internet, but have had trouble with this probably due to my poor
                  Russian skills. We had always been able to sing this is Slavonic in the
                  past without music, but many of the members of our current choir don't
                  have experience singing any Slavonic, except Pascha - so we need the
                  music. If you can help I would really appreciate it.

                  Thank you.

                  Reader Philosoph Uhlman
                  St. Sophia
                  Victoria BC Canada

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Click here to find Medical Transcription Training programs.
                  http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/Ioyw6iifev318Rlql0EgLpqlaH8A50t1E5LosInQlVqisCkS1zixI8/

                • Deacon Michael Bishop
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                    I have also been trying to find it and I ran into the same problem that
                    Philosoph experienced. In my Panikhida book, this is just about the
                    only thing that I am missing.

                    I need it in modern Russian letters. I do not do transliteration and I
                    have a difficult time reading the Old Cyrillic script. If you don't
                    mind, I can also send you my fax number off-list. My fax machine is not
                    set up to accept fax, but I think that I can correct that. I'm not
                    sure. I have not received a fax on it for over a year.

                    Thank you.

                    Deacon Michael

                    Cindy Williams wrote:
                    > Dear Philosoph,
                    > I have a copy which I could fax to you -- we're in transition with our computers and I don't think we're set up right now to scan and e-mail this to you. My husband is already at church and I'll be leaving shortly for Vigil, but I'll check my e-mail when I get home in a few hours. If you send a fax number to me off-list (cktwms@...) I'll be happy to fax it. Otherwise, I can also check with my husband to see if we can scan it and send it as an attachment. Perhaps in a few hours someone else will already have responded, but if not I'll be happy to help if I can.
                    > In Christ,
                    > (Matushka)Cindy Williams
                    > -- Philosoph Uhlman <philosoph@...> wrote:
                    > I am hoping that someone could send me a copy of the usual setting of
                    > Memory Eternal in Russian. We are serving a funeral for one of the
                    > Older Russians in our parish who just pasted away. I have tried looking
                    > on the internet, but have had trouble with this probably due to my poor
                    > Russian skills. We had always been able to sing this is Slavonic in the
                    > past without music, but many of the members of our current choir don't
                    > have experience singing any Slavonic, except Pascha - so we need the
                    > music. If you can help I would really appreciate it.
                    >
                    > Thank you.
                    >
                    > Reader Philosoph Uhlman
                    > St. Sophia
                    > Victoria BC Canada

                    > Click here to find Medical Transcription Training programs.
                    > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/Ioyw6iifev318Rlql0EgLpqlaH8A50t1E5LosInQlVqisCkS1zixI8/

                    Deacon Michael Bishop
                    PO Box 23485
                    Baltimore MD 21213-5485
                    http://www.Michael-Bishop.com

                    See you at the Russian Festival
                    17-19 October 2008
                  • gregent@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                      In a message dated 8/2/2008 2:07:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      philosoph@... writes:

                      I am hoping that someone could send me a copy of the usual setting of
                      Memory Eternal in Russian.

                      _http://www.orthodoxia.org/music/pdf/panich3.pdf_
                      (http://www.orthodoxia.org/music/pdf/panich3.pdf)

                      Memory Eternal is on the last page.