Choir Cues: Fifth Sunday in Lent, Sunday of St. Mary of Egypt: 31 March/13 April 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2008
      Please remember the handmaiden of God, Elizabeth Riggs, in your
      prayers. Elizabeth, who began the Choir Cues, has a number of health
      issues, chiefest of which is the crippling rheumatoid arthritis.

      For this day, the SJKP Liturgical Calendar specifies the service from
      the Triodion (St. Mary of Egypt: 3B20). The service to St. Hypatius
      is transferred to Little Compline on the eve of 1 April.

      The outline given is for a temple dedicated to a saint. If your temple
      is dedicated to the Lord or the Theotokos, please make the appropriate

      If you have any comments or questions, please contact me. If you have
      corrections, please be sure to post to me at woolfolk3@....
      However, please note that translations are from another source, and
      are not my own.

      My thanks, as always, to Fr. John Whiteford and Fr. John McCuen for
      the work they do in putting these services together.

      In Christ,
      Meg Lark

      31 March/13 April 2008

      Sunday Readings:
      Epistle: Hebrews 9:11-14 AND Galatians 3:23-29
      Gospel: Mark 10:32b-45 AND Luke 7:36-50

      Commemoration of St. Mary of Egypt. St. Hypatius the Wonderworker,
      Bishop of Gangra. Appearance of the Iberian (Iveron) Icon of the Most
      Holy Theotokos. St. Innocent, Metropolitan of Moscow and Enlightener
      of Siberia and Alaska. St. Hypatius, Abbot of Rufinus in Chalcedon.
      St. Apollonius, ascetic of the Thebaid. Martyrs Abdas the Bishop and
      Benjamin the Deacon, of Persia. Repose of St. Jonah, Metropolitan of
      Kiev and All Russia. Righteous Joseph the Fair, son of Jacob. St.
      Acacius the Confessor, Bishop of Melitene. St. Hypatius the Healer of
      the Kiev Caves. Greek Calendar: Martyr Menander. St. Blaise of
      Amorium, monk. 38 Relatives who were martyred. St. Stephen the
      Wonderworker, monk.

      The SJKP specifies: the service from the Triodion (St. Mary of Egypt:
      3B20). The service to St. Hypatius is transferred to Little Compline
      on the eve of 1 April.

      At all Hours:
      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion of St. Mary of Egypt

      Resurrectional Kontakion

      The Beatitudes: 8 from the Octoechos

      1. Believing Thee to be God, O Christ, the thief on the cross
      confessed Thee in a pure manner, crying out from the depths of his
      heart: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      2. Together let us hymn as Savior and Creator, Him Who on the Cross
      budded forth life for our race and caused the curse which originated
      from the tree to wither up.

      3. By Thy death hast Thou destroyed the power of death, O Christ, and
      Thou didst raise up with Thyself the dead of ages past, who now hymn
      Thee as our true God and Savior.

      4. Arriving at Thy tomb, O Christ, the honorable women sought to
      anoint Thee with myrrh, O Bestower of life; but an angel appeared to
      them, crying out: The Lord is risen!

      5. When Thou wast crucified between two condemned thieves, O Christ,
      one of them blasphemed Thee and was justly damned, while the other
      confessed Thee and dwelleth now in paradise.

      6. When they had come to the choir of the apostles, the honorable
      women cried out: Christ is risen! Let us worship Him as Master and

      7. O indivisible Trinity, all-effecting and all-powerful Unity:
      Father, Son, and Holy Spirit: Thee do we hymn as our true God and

      8. Rejoice, O animate temple of God and impassible gate! Rejoice, O
      fiery throne which burneth yet is not consumed! Rejoice, O Mother of
      Emmanuel, Christ our God!

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 5: Let us, O faithful, praise and
      worship the Word / Who is co-unoriginate with the Father and the
      Spirit, / and Who was born of the Virgin for our salvation; / for He
      was pleased to ascend the Cross in the flesh / and to endure death, //
      and to raise the dead by His glorious Resurrection.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Mary of Egypt, Tone 8: In thee, O Mother, was
      preserved unimpaired that which is according to God's image, / for
      thou hast taken up the Cross and followed Christ. / By thine actions
      thou hast taught us to despise the flesh, for it passes away, / but to
      care for the soul, which is a thing immortal; // and so thy spirit,
      holy Mary, rejoiceth with the angels.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 5: Unto hades, O my Savior, didst Thou
      descend, / and having broken its gates as one omnipotent, / Thou, as
      Creator, didst raise up the dead together with Thyself. / And Thou
      didst break the sting of death, / and didst deliver Adam from the
      curse, O Lover of mankind. / Wherefore, we all cry unto Thee: // Save
      us, O Lord.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Kontakion of St. Mary of Egypt, Tone 3: Thou who once of old wast
      filled with all manner of fornication, / art now seen today to be a
      bride of Christ by thy repentance. / Thou didst love and emulate the
      life of the angels. / By the Cross thou didst annihilate the hordes
      of demons; / for this cause thou art a bride now in the kingdom of the
      heavens, // O Mary, thou all-modest one.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 5th Tone: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us
      and shalt preserve us from this generation and for evermore.
      Choir: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us and shalt preserve us from this
      generation and for evermore.
      Reader: Save me, O Lord for a righteous man there is no more.
      Choir: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us and shalt preserve us from this
      generation and for evermore.
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.
      Choir: Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.

      [Hebrews 9:11-14]: Brethren: Christ being come an high priest of
      good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not
      made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; * Neither by
      the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once
      into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. * For
      if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer
      sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: *
      How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal
      Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from
      dead works to serve the living God?

      [Galatians 3:23-29]: Brethren: Before faith came, we were kept under
      the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
      * Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that
      we might be justified by faith. * But after that faith is come, we
      are no longer under a schoolmaster. * For ye are all the children of
      God by faith in Christ Jesus. * For as many of you as have been
      baptized into Christ have put on Christ. * There is neither Jew nor
      Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor
      female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. * And if ye be Christ's,
      then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

      THE ALLELUIA ( NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 5th Tone: Of Thy mercies, O Lord, will I sing
      for ever. Unto
      generation and generation will I declare Thy truth with my mouth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: For Thou hast said: Mercy shall be built up for ever, in the
      heavens shall Thy truth be established.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 1st Tone: With patience I waited patiently for the
      Lord, and He was attentive unto me, and he hearkened unto my
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      [Mark 10:32-45]: At that time, they were in the way going up to
      Jerusalem; and Jesus went before them: and they were amazed; and as
      they followed, they were afraid. And he took again the twelve, and
      began to tell them what things should happen unto him, * Saying,
      Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be delivered
      unto the chief priests, and unto the scribes; and they shall condemn
      him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles: * And they shall
      mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall
      kill him: and the third day he shall rise again. * And James and John,
      the sons of Zebedee, come unto him, saying, Master, we would that thou
      shouldest do for us whatsoever we shall desire. * And he said unto
      them, What would ye that I should do for you? * They said unto him,
      Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on
      thy left hand, in thy glory. * But Jesus said unto them, Ye know not
      what ye ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized
      with the baptism that I am baptized with? * And they said unto him, We
      can. And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall indeed drink of the cup that I
      drink of; and with the baptism that I am baptized withal shall ye be
      baptized: * But to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not
      mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared. *
      And when the ten heard it, they began to be much displeased with James
      and John. * But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know
      that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise
      lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.
      * But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among
      you, shall be your minister: * And whosoever of you will be the
      chiefest, shall be servant of all. * For even the Son of man came not
      to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom
      for many.

      [Luke 7:36-50]: At that time, one of the Pharisees desired him that
      he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat
      down to meat. * And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner,
      when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought
      an alabaster box of ointment, * And stood at his feet behind him
      weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with
      the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the
      ointment. * Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he
      spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would
      have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for
      she is a sinner. * And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have
      somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on. * There was a
      certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred
      pence, and the other fifty. * And when they had nothing to pay, he
      frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love
      him most? * Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he
      forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. * And he
      turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I
      entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she
      hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her
      head. * Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came
      in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. * My head with oil thou didst not
      anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. *
      Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for
      she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth
      little. * And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. * And they that
      sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that
      forgiveth sins also? * And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved
      thee; go in peace.

      Instead of "It is truly meet…"[Tone 8 in the Octoechos, but usually
      sung to one of
      many special melodies]:

      All creation – the assembly of angels and the race of man – rejoiceth
      in thee, O thou who art full of grace, O sacred temple and noetical
      paradise, boast of virgins, from whom God, Who existeth from before
      time, was incarnate and became a child; for He made thy body a throne,
      and thy womb He made more spacious than the heavens. All creation
      rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace. Glory to thee!

      COMMUNION VERSE: Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the
      highest! In everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall
      not be afraid of evil tidings. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!