Eight Tones

  • jeremiasiiwasright
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2 12:30 PM
      Can anyone recommend some good resources for learning the eight tones
      as used in the OCA? I believe our parish uses the Kievan Tones.
      "Beginner" resources would be most helpful. Thank you!
    • graham woolfenden
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2 1:53 PM
        How about "Church Tones and Melodies for Choir" with
        instructional CD and other material from St Tikhon's
        Bookstore? ($16.50)

        Hegumen Gregory.

        --- jeremiasiiwasright <jeremiasiiwasright@...>
        wrote:

        > Can anyone recommend some good resources for
        > learning the eight tones
        > as used in the OCA? I believe our parish uses the
        > Kievan Tones.
        > "Beginner" resources would be most helpful. Thank
        > you!

      • Macrina Lewis
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2 4:13 PM
          I am finishing up a big project typesetting the Kievan stichera for
          the OCA Diocese of the West. We plan to have CDs which match the
          music later on. I will be glad to share these with you as they are
          in process. Email me privately if you'd like to get them.

          I also have a set of CDs using the same harmonization, but we've made
          some slight changes in the setting. You could use those to help
          train yourself, too.

          In Christ,
          Macrina
          anaphorapress.com

          On Apr 2, 2008, at 1:53 PM, graham woolfenden wrote:

          > How about "Church Tones and Melodies for Choir" with
          > instructional CD and other material from St Tikhon's
          > Bookstore? ($16.50)
          >
          > Hegumen Gregory.
          >

          > --- jeremiasiiwasright <jeremiasiiwasright@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> Can anyone recommend some good resources for
          >> learning the eight tones
          >> as used in the OCA? I believe our parish uses the
          >> Kievan Tones.
          >> "Beginner" resources would be most helpful. Thank
          >> you!

        • Joe Kosinski
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2 5:41 PM
            Would it be possible for me to receive them also? Thanks for any help.

            In Christ,

            Joseph

            I am finishing up a big project typesetting the Kievan stichera for
            the OCA Diocese of the West. We plan to have CDs which match the
            music later on. I will be glad to share these with you as they are
            in process. Email me privately if you'd like to get them.

            I also have a set of CDs using the same harmonization, but we've made
            some slight changes in the setting. You could use those to help
            train yourself, too.

            In Christ,
            Macrina
            anaphorapress.com

            On Apr 2, 2008, at 1:53 PM, graham woolfenden wrote:

            > How about "Church Tones and Melodies for Choir" with
            > instructional CD and other material from St Tikhon's
            > Bookstore? ($16.50)
            >
            > Hegumen Gregory.
            >

            > --- jeremiasiiwasright <jeremiasiiwasright@...
            <mailto:jeremiasiiwasright%40yahoo.com> >
            > wrote:
            >
            >> Can anyone recommend some good resources for
            >> learning the eight tones
            >> as used in the OCA? I believe our parish uses the
            >> Kievan Tones.
            >> "Beginner" resources would be most helpful. Thank
            >> you!

            <mailto:ustav-owner%40yahoogroups.com>

          • Fr Seraphim Holland
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3 5:07 AM
              --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, graham woolfenden <monkgreg@...> wrote:

              > How about "Church Tones and Melodies for Choir" with
              > instructional CD and other material from St Tikhon's
              > Bookstore? ($16.50)

              What language is used, traditional, or "You Who"?

              Priest seraphim
            • Fr. John Whiteford
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3 5:24 AM
                Also, could someone post the url to where this can be found. I look on the St. Tikhon Bookstore site, and couldn't find it.

                Fr Seraphim Holland <seraphim@...> wrote: --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, graham woolfenden wrote:

                > How about "Church Tones and Melodies for Choir" with
                > instructional CD and other material from St Tikhon's
                > Bookstore? ($16.50)

                What language is used, traditional, or "You Who"?

                Priest seraphim

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Fr. John Whiteford
                St. Jonah Orthodox Church
                Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

              • Monk Vasyl Janick
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 3 6:17 AM
                  Would these, also, include the Special Melodies? Those are murder, trying to remember.

                  Macrina Lewis <macrina440@...> wrote: I am finishing up a big project typesetting the Kievan stichera for
                  the OCA Diocese of the West. We plan to have CDs which match the
                  music later on. I will be glad to share these with you as they are
                  in process. Email me privately if you'd like to get them.

                  I also have a set of CDs using the same harmonization, but we've made
                  some slight changes in the setting. You could use those to help
                  train yourself, too.

                  In Christ,
                  Macrina
                  anaphorapress.com

                  On Apr 2, 2008, at 1:53 PM, graham woolfenden wrote:

                  > How about "Church Tones and Melodies for Choir" with
                  > instructional CD and other material from St Tikhon's
                  > Bookstore? ($16.50)
                  >
                  > Hegumen Gregory.
                  >

                  > --- jeremiasiiwasright <jeremiasiiwasright@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  >> Can anyone recommend some good resources for
                  >> learning the eight tones
                  >> as used in the OCA? I believe our parish uses the
                  >> Kievan Tones.
                  >> "Beginner" resources would be most helpful. Thank
                  >> you!

                  The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

                • graham woolfenden
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3 7:50 AM
                    If you regard Thee and Thou as traditional, then
                    that's what they use!

                    Fr Gregory.

                    wrote:

                    > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, graham woolfenden
                    > <monkgreg@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > How about "Church Tones and Melodies for Choir"
                    > with
                    > > instructional CD and other material from St
                    > Tikhon's
                    > > Bookstore? ($16.50)
                    >
                    > What language is used, traditional, or "You Who"?
                    >
                    > Priest seraphim

                  • Macrina Lewis
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 3 8:47 AM
                      Fr. Seraphim,
                      we use traditional language, and that is primarily what I'll be
                      typesetting on my website at anaphorapress.com The translations for
                      the Kievan Resurrectional materials come from a variety of sources:

                      LIHC stichera: Holy Transfiguration Monastery
                      Aposticha: St. John of Krontstadt Press
                      Trop/Kont.: OCA Priest's Service Book

                      Why? Ask Fr. Lawrence Margitich. Basically, I think we were
                      following + Bp. TIKHON's request to use HTM materials and in our
                      parish in Santa Rosa we got the stichera very solidly set using that
                      translation. The Aposticha, we did a little later and SJKP was then
                      available.

                      In Christ,
                      Macrina
                      anaphorapress.com

                      On Apr 3, 2008, at 5:07 AM, Fr Seraphim Holland wrote:

                      > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, graham woolfenden <monkgreg@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> How about "Church Tones and Melodies for Choir" with
                      >> instructional CD and other material from St Tikhon's
                      >> Bookstore? ($16.50)
                      >
                      > What language is used, traditional, or "You Who"?
                      >
                      > Priest seraphim

                    • Macrina Lewis
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 3 9:08 AM
                        No, sorry. I do have a pretty good collection here and would like to
                        work on typesetting a book of Special Melodies after the Kievan Tones
                        are done. I also plan to have a single sample of several different
                        podobny on my website eventually. Maybe I can get to that before
                        Christmas.

                        On that score, if anyone has a solid special melody that you'd be
                        willing to share, I'd be glad to compile them. Carol Surgant is good
                        at posting these on her site, too. Most of the ones I'm familiar
                        with differ from hers somewhat. So many variations -- it would be
                        nice to put together a booklet including the different options. We
                        did this once for a PSALM conference (that is the spine I use) and it
                        was very helpful. Many of the pieces were handwritten and poor copy
                        quality, however. I'd like to typset them all uniformly. If you
                        have anything I can include, please email me copies (in any
                        condition) or sent them to me snail mail at

                        Macrina Lewis
                        3110 San Juan Ave.
                        Port Townsend, WA 98368

                        In Christ,
                        Macrina
                        anaphorapress.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 3 9:44 AM
                          Macrina, so Fr. Lawrence Margitich is your priest. Small world, we both were at Holy Trininty Cathedral, in Boston, oh so many years ago. Please give him my regards...he will remember me as either Ron Janick or Volodga. Fr. David Black (Bishop Sergios, HOCNA)was our priest at the time. Also, ask him to give my regards to his brother, who was also in Boston, at that time.

                          The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 4 4:41 AM
                            Macrina, I have some. Let's correspond.

                            Stephen

                            --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Macrina Lewis <macrina440@...> wrote:

                            > No, sorry. I do have a pretty good collection here and would like to
                            > work on typesetting a book of Special Melodies after the Kievan Tones
                            > are done. I also plan to have a single sample of several different
                            > podobny on my website eventually. Maybe I can get to that before
                            > Christmas.
                            >
                            > On that score, if anyone has a solid special melody that you'd be
                            > willing to share, I'd be glad to compile them. Carol Surgant is good
                            > at posting these on her site, too. Most of the ones I'm familiar
                            > with differ from hers somewhat. So many variations -- it would be
                            > nice to put together a booklet including the different options. We
                            > did this once for a PSALM conference (that is the spine I use) and it
                            > was very helpful. Many of the pieces were handwritten and poor copy
                            > quality, however. I'd like to typset them all uniformly. If you
                            > have anything I can include, please email me copies (in any
                            > condition) or sent them to me snail mail at
                            >
                            > Macrina Lewis
                            > 3110 San Juan Ave.
                            > Port Townsend, WA 98368
                            >
                            > In Christ,
                            > Macrina
                            > anaphorapress.com
                            >

                            > On Apr 3, 2008, at 6:17 AM, Monk Vasyl Janick wrote:
                            >
                            > > Would these, also, include the Special Melodies? Those are murder,
                            > > trying to remember.
                            > >
                            > > Macrina Lewis <macrina440@...> wrote: I am finishing
                            > > up a big project typesetting the Kievan stichera for
                            > > the OCA Diocese of the West. We plan to have CDs which match the
                            > > music later on. I will be glad to share these with you as they are
                            > > in process. Email me privately if you'd like to get them.
                            > >
                            > > I also have a set of CDs using the same harmonization, but we've made
                            > > some slight changes in the setting. You could use those to help
                            > > train yourself, too.
                            > >
                            > > In Christ,
                            > > Macrina
                            > > anaphorapress.com
                            > >
                            > > On Apr 2, 2008, at 1:53 PM, graham woolfenden wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> How about "Church Tones and Melodies for Choir" with
                            > >> instructional CD and other material from St Tikhon's
                            > >> Bookstore? ($16.50)
                            > >>
                            > >> Hegumen Gregory.
                            > >>

                            > >> --- jeremiasiiwasright <jeremiasiiwasright@...>

                            > >> More ustav information and service texts:
                            > >> http://www.orthodox.net/ustav
                            > >> http://www.orthodox.net/services
                            > >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                            > > The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

                            > > More ustav information and service texts:
                            > > http://www.orthodox.net/ustav
                            > > http://www.orthodox.net/services
                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • sajezv
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 4 5:02 AM
                              St Tikhon's Bookstore:

                              http://www.stspress.com/

                              or

                              www.stots.edu and follow bookstore link

                              valeria

                              --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John Whiteford"

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 4 5:06 AM
                                I am familiar with these websites... I am just not finding the material we are talking about. Can someone post a direct url to that item?