Choir Cues: 40 Pentecost, 18 February/2 March 2008: Triodion 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008
      Please remember the handmaiden of God, Elizabeth Riggs, in your
      prayers. Elizabeth, who began the Choir Cues, has a number of health
      issues, chiefest of which is the crippling rheumatoid arthritis.

      For this day, the SJKP Liturgical Calendar specifies the service for
      the Sunday of the Last Judgment (3B4). The service to St. Leo is
      transferred to Little Compline on the eve of 19 February.

      The outline given is for a temple dedicated to a saint. If your temple
      is dedicated to the Lord or the Theotokos, please make the appropriate
      adjustments.

      If you have any comments or questions, please contact me. If you have
      corrections, please be sure to post to me at woolfolk3@....
      However, please note that translations are from another source, and
      are not my own.

      My thanks, as always, to Fr. John Whiteford and Fr. John McCuen for
      the work they do in putting these services together.

      In Christ,
      Meg Lark

      18 February/2 March 2008
      40th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST (Tone 7): Sunday of the Last Judgment

      Sunday Readings:
      1 Corinthians 8:8-9:2
      Matthew 25:31-46

      Meatfare Sunday. Sunday of the Last Judgment. St. Leo the Great,
      Pope of Rome. St. Flavian the Confessor, Patriarch of Constantinople.
      St. Agapitus, Bishop of Synnada in Phrygia, and Martyrs Victor,
      Dorotheus, Theodulus, and Agrippa, who suffered under Licinius. St.
      Cosmas, Monk of Yakhromsk. New-Hieromartyrs Priest Alexander
      Medvedsky (1932) and Hieromonk Benjamin (1938). Commemoration of the
      New Martyrs who suffered during the "Holy Night" in Petersburg (1932).
      St. Colman of Lindisfarne (676). Greek Calendar: Martyrs Leo and
      Parigorius of Patara in Lycia. Martyr Publius.

      The SJKP specifies: the service for the Sunday of the Last Judgment
      (3B4). The service to St. Leo is transferred to Little Compline on the
      eve of 19 February.

      HOURS:

      At all Hours:
      Resurrectional Troparion
      Glory... Both now...
      Theotokion from the Horologion

      Kontakion of the Last Judgment

      DIVINE LITURGY

      The Beatitudes: 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode VI of the Canon of the Triodion

      1. The fruit which slew me was beautiful and good to eat; but Christ
      is the Tree of life, and eating of Him I do not die, but cry out with
      the thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      2. O Compassionate One, Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Thou hast
      erased the record of Adam's ancient sin, and hast saved the whole
      human race from deception. Wherefore, we hymn Thee, O Lord and
      Benefactor.

      3. Thou didst nail our sins to the Cross, O compassionate Christ, and
      by Thy death Thou didst slay death, O Thou who didst raise up the dead
      from among the dead. Wherefore, we worship Thy holy resurrection.

      4. The serpent once poured its venom into the ears of Eve; but on the
      tree of the Cross, Christ poured forth the sweetness of life upon the
      world. Wherefore, we cry out: Remember us, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      5. Thou wast laid in the tomb as one dead, O Christ, Thou Life of
      all; and Thou didst break down the gates of hades; and having risen
      again in glory on the third day as One mighty, Thou hast illumined
      all. Glory to Thine arising!

      6. Having risen from the dead on the third day, the Lord bestowed His
      peace upon His disciples; and having blessed them, He sent them forth
      saying: Lead all into My kingdom!

      7. At Thy fearful coming, O Christ, when Thou appearest from heaven,
      when the thrones are set up and the books opened, then spare, O
      Savior, spare Thy creature.

      8. Since God is the Judge, nothing can help thee there, no zeal, no
      skill, no glory, no friendship, but only the strength that thou
      gainest, my soul, from thy works.

      9. O Lord, let me not hear Thee say, "Take what is due to thee," as
      Thou dost send me from Thy presence; let me not hear Thee say, "Depart
      from Me into the fire of the accursed," but may I hear Thy words of
      blessing to the righteous.

      10. Thou art the gate, pure Lady, through which One alone has passed,
      going in and out, yet not breaking the seal of thy virginity: Jesus,
      Adam's Creator and thy Son.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 7: Thou didst destroy death by Thy
      Cross, / Thou didst open paradise to the thief. / Thou didst change
      the lamentation of the Myrrh-bearers, / and Thou didst command Thine
      Apostles to proclaim / that Thou didst arise, O Christ God, // and
      grantest to the world great mercy.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Glory...

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Both now... Kontakion of the Last Judgment, Tone 1: When Thou, O God,
      shalt come to earth with glory, / and all things tremble, / and the
      river of fire floweth before the Judgment Seat / and the books are
      opened, and the hidden things made public, / then deliver me from the
      unquenchable fire // and deem me worthy to stand at Thy right hand, O
      most righteous Judge.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: Great is our Lord, and great
      is His strength, and of His understanding there is no measure.
      Choir: Great is our Lord, and great is His strength, and of His
      understanding there is no measure.
      Reader: Praise ye the Lord, for a psalm is a good thing; let praise
      be sweet unto our God.
      Choir: Great is our Lord, and great is His strength, and of His
      understanding there is no measure.
      Reader: Great is our Lord, and great is His strength
      Choir: and of His understanding there is no measure.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Corinthians.

      [1st Corinthians 8:8-9:2]: Brethren: Meat commendeth us not to God:
      for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are
      we the worse. * But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours
      become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. * For if any man see
      thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not
      the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things
      which are offered to idols; * And through thy knowledge shall the weak
      brother perish, for whom Christ died? * But when ye sin so against the
      brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ. *
      Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh
      while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend. * Am I not
      an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are
      not ye my work in the Lord? * If I be not an apostle unto others, yet
      doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the
      Lord.

      THE ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone:
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let us shout with jubilation
      unto God our Savior.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and
      with psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.

      [Matthew 25:31-46]: The Lord said: When the Son of man shall come in
      his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon
      the throne of his glory: * And before him shall be gathered all
      nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd
      divideth his sheep from the goats: * And he shall set the sheep on his
      right hand, but the goats on the left. * Then shall the King say unto
      them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the
      kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: * For I was
      an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink:
      I was a stranger, and ye took me in: * Naked, and ye clothed me: I was
      sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. * Then
      shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an
      hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? * When saw we
      thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? * Or
      when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? * And the
      King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch
      as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have
      done it unto me. * Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand,
      Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the
      devil and his angels: * For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat:
      I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: * I was a stranger, and ye
      took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and
      ye visited me not. * Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord,
      when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or
      sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? * Then shall he
      answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not
      to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. * And these shall
      go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life
      eternal.

      COMMUNION VERSE: Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the
      highest! Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the
      upright. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!