[ustav] Marginal notes in Slavonic Apostol

  • kenneth.rushton@virgin.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 1999
      I would like to know the significance of the names of the days of the week written in abbreviated form (e.g. "pya") in the margin of the Slavonic Apostol, running from Sunday to Saturday, I believe for each book.

      Nicholas K Rushton

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ustav
    • Isaac E. Lambertsen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 1999
        Dear Nicholas,

        I do not know if this answers your question, but there is a note in the
        Slavonic Epistle Book, right after the Table of Contents and before the
        paragraphs describing the contents of the Acts of the Holy Apostles, which
        reads as follows:

        "In the year 6091 [=583 A.D.], the Epistle Book was divided into chapters by
        the
        Monk Isaiah, and the Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays,
        Thursdays and Fridays were indicated, so as to facilitate finding them more
        quickly; likewise the [Acts of] the holy apostles by month, and the
        epistles, from whence and by whom written."

        It is my speculation (possibly erroneous) that the compilers of the Epistle
        Book may have wished
        to adopt a chapter and verse numbering system consistent with those used
        elsewhere, such as Kiev, which was long under Western influence; but were
        hesitant to discard a system which had been prevalent for a thousand years;
        and thus included both.

        Perhaps other list members have other opinions. In any case, I hope my
        comments will provide a springboard for further discussion of an interesting
        point.

        Sincerely,

        Isaac Lambertsen.