Choir Cues: 36 Pentecost, 21 January/3 February 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2 4:03 AM
      Please remember the handmaiden of God, Elizabeth Riggs, in your
      prayers. Elizabeth, who began the Choir Cues, has a number of health
      issues, chiefest of which is the crippling rheumatoid arthritis.

      For this day, the SJKP Liturgical Calendar specifies a double service
      to St. Maximus the Confessor and Martyr Neophytus of Nicaea. The
      canon and stichera to Martyrs Eugene, Candidus, Valerian and Aquila
      are transferred to Little Compline on the eve of 22 January.

      The outline given is for a temple dedicated to a saint. If your temple
      is dedicated to the Lord or the Theotokos, please make the
      appropriate adjustments.

      If you have any comments or questions, please contact me. If you have
      corrections, please be sure to post to me at woolfolk3@....
      However, please note that translations are from another source, and
      are not my own.

      My thanks, as always, to Fr. John Whiteford and Fr. John McCuen for
      the work they do in putting these services together.

      In Christ,
      Meg Lark

      21 January/3 February 2008
      36th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST (Tone 3)

      Sunday Readings:
      2 Corinthians 9:6-11 AND Hebrews 11:33-40
      Luke 5:1-11 (OR Matthew 15:21-28) AND Luke 12:8-12

      St. Maximus the Confessor. Martyr Neophytus of Nicaea. Martyrs
      Eugene, Candidus, Valerian and Aquila of Trebizond. St. Maximus the
      Greek. Virgin-Martyr Agnes of Rome. Martyr Anastasius, disciple of
      St. Maximus the Confessor. St. Neophytus of Vatopedi (Mount Athos).
      Synaxis of the Church of the Holy Peace by the Sea in Constantinople.

      The SJKP specifies: a double service to St. Maximus the Confessor and
      Martyr Neophytus of Nicaea (1B).

      HOURS:

      Third Hour:
      Troparion of Martyr Neophytus

      After the Trisagion, we read the Resurrectional Kontakion

      Sixth Hour:
      Troparion of St. Maximus the Confessor

      After the Trisagion, we read the Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY

      The Beatitudes: 8 from the Octoechos

      1. From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken
      Thy commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause
      to dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying
      out: "Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!"

      2. With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O
      Lord, Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless
      Master, Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out: "Remember us
      also in Thy kingdom!"

      3. In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions
      with Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of
      death hast Thou destroyed, O Savior. Wherefore, with faith we cry out
      to Thee: "Remember us also in Thy kingdom!"

      4. O Thou who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou
      didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good
      Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever
      cry out: "Remember us also in Thy kingdom!"

      5. Risen from the dead, O Savior, Thou didst first appear to the
      myrrh-bearing women, crying out: "Rejoice!" and through them Thou
      didst announce Thy resurrection to Thy friends, O Christ. Wherefore,
      with faith we cry out to Thee, "Remember us also in Thy kingdom!"

      6. Moses, stretching out his arms on the mountain, prefigured the
      Cross and thus conquered Amelek. And, receiving it with faith as a
      mighty weapon against the demons, we all cry out: "Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!"

      7. O ye faithful, let us hymn the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the
      one God, the one Lord, as from a single Sun; for the Trinity is
      thrice-luminous and enlighteneth all who cry out: "Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!"

      8. Rejoice, O portal of God, through which the incarnate Creator
      passed without breaking thy seal! Rejoice, thou light cloud which
      bore Christ, the divine Rain! Rejoice, ladder and throne of heaven!
      Rejoice, honored mountain of God, fruitful and unquarried!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 3: Let the heavens be glad; let
      earthly things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His
      arm. / He hath trampled down death by death; / the first-born of the
      dead hath He become. / From the belly of Hades hath He delivered us //
      and Hath granted to the world great mercy.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Maximus, Tone 8: O instructor of Orthodoxy, teacher
      of piety and purity, / beacon of all the world, divinely inspired
      adornment of monastics: / O all-wise Maximus, by thy doctrines thou
      hast enlightened all. // O harp of the Spirit, entreat Christ God,
      that our souls be saved.

      Troparion of Martyr Neophytus, Tone 4: In his sufferings, O Lord, /
      Thy martyr Neophytus received an imperishable crown from Thee, our
      God; / for, possessed of Thy might, / he set at naught the tormentors
      and crushed the feeble audacity of the demons. // By his supplications
      save Thou our souls.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 3: Thou didst rise today from the
      tomb, O Merciful One, / and didst lead us out of the gates of death. /
      Today Adam danceth and Eve rejoiceth; / and together with them both
      the prophets and patriarchs // unceasingly praise the divine might of
      Thine authority.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory… Kontakion of St. Maximus, Tone 6: The thrice-radiant light
      which abode in thy soul / showed thee forth as a chosen vessel, O most
      blessed one, / revealing things divine to the ends of the earth. / O
      blessed Maximus, recount understanding of things hard to comprehend /
      and manifestly preach to all // the transcendent and unoriginate
      Trinity!

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: O chant unto our God, chant
      ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice
      of rejoicing.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: In the saints that are in His earth hath the
      Lord been wondrous; He hath wrought all His desires in them.
      Choir: In the saints that are in His earth hath the Lord been
      wondrous; He hath wrought all His desires in them.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Second Epistle of the Holy Apostle
      Paul to the Corinthians.

      [2 Corinthians 9:6-11]: Brethren: But this I say, He which soweth
      sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully
      shall reap also bountifully. * Every man according as he purposeth in
      his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God
      loveth a cheerful giver. * And God is able to make all grace abound
      toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may
      abound to every good work: * (As it is written, He hath dispersed
      abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for
      ever. * Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread
      for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of
      your righteousness;) * Being enriched in every thing to all
      bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.

      [Hebrews 11:33-40]: Brethren: All the saints through faith subdued
      kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths
      of lions, * Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the
      sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight,
      turned to flight the armies of the aliens. * Women received their dead
      raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting
      deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: * And
      others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of
      bonds and imprisonment: * They were stoned, they were sawn asunder,
      were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in
      sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; * (Of
      whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in
      mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. * And these all, having
      obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: * God
      having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should
      not be made perfect.

      THE ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 3rd Tone: In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let
      me not be put to shame in the age to come.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to save me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: The righteous cried, and the Lord heard
      them, and He delivered them out of all their tribulations.

      [Luke 5:1-11]: At that time, it came to pass, that, as the people
      pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of
      Gennesaret, * And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the
      fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets. * And he
      entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that
      he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and
      taught the people out of the ship. * Now when he had left speaking, he
      said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for
      a draught. * And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled
      all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will
      let down the net. * And when they had this done, they inclosed a great
      multitude of fishes: and their net brake. * And they beckoned unto
      their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come
      and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they
      began to sink. * When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus'
      knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord. * For he
      was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the
      fishes which they had taken: * And so was also James, and John, the
      sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto
      Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men. * And when they
      had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.

      OR

      [Matthew 15:21-28]: At that time, Jesus departed into the coasts of
      Tyre and Sidon. * And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same
      coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son
      of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. * But he
      answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him,
      saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. * But he answered and
      said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. *
      Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. * But he
      answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to
      cast it to dogs. * And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the
      crumbs which fall from their masters' table. * Then Jesus answered and
      said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as
      thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

      AND

      [Luke 12:8-12]: The Lord said unto His disciples: Whosoever shall
      confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before
      the angels of God: * But he that denieth me before men shall be denied
      before the angels of God. * And whosoever shall speak a word against
      the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that
      blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. * And
      when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and
      powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what
      ye shall say: * For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour
      what ye ought to say.

      COMMUNION VERSE: Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the
      highest! Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the
      upright. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!