Re: Two New Questions

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2008
      About the origins of the "All-Night Vigil": Nikolai Uspensky has an
      article about this. I am away from my books and can't give you the
      citation, but there are others on this list who surely can.

      Stephen

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Antonio Palad <caloypalad@...> wrote:

      > Dear list-members
      >
      > My last two posts came out quite garbled, so I'd like to clarify
      and re-send my questions here.

      > I hope that I'm not over-stretching your patience with this....if
      I am just tell me.

      > 1) When did the Russian parish "All-Night Vigil" begin? Does it
      really date back to the 1880's only? (But the Old Believers and the
      Old Rite Orthodox in Erie also have it) I keep reading apparently
      contradicting stuff; some say that the older tradition even in
      Russia is for parishes to say Vespers in the evening and Matins in
      the morning (just like everywhere else!); others say that Greek
      parishes were also fond of keeping night vigils until the turn of
      the 20th century and that the Russian parishes are nearer to
      traditional Greek practice than are contemporary parishes.... I hope
      somebody could clear up my confusion

      > 2) Are there Serbian, Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian and Georgian
      cathedrals and monasteries that keep the Athonite practice of 10 -
      17 hour all-night vigils rather frequently throughout the year? Or
      is this an Athonite (and Greek monastic) peculiarity? For that
      matter, is this practice also common in Greek monasteries and
      cathedrals outside Athos?

      http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2008
        Let me give bibliographical citations:

        Nikolai Dmitrevich Uspensky, "L'Office de la Veillée nocturne dans
        l'Eglise grecque et dans l'Eglise russe," _Orientalia Christiana
        Periodica_ 42 (1976): 117-195, 402-425.

        Miguel Arranz, "N. D. Uspensky: The Office of the All-Night Vigil in
        the Greek Church and in the Russian Church," _St Vladimir's
        Theological Quarterly_ 24 (1980): 83-194.

        Stephen

        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "stephen_r1937" <stephen_r1937@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2008
          Sorry, the way I did this makes it look as though the French &
          English items were two different articles. They are one and the same,
          by Arranz but based closely on, actually a commentary on, the paper
          by Uspensky.