Slavonic text

  • appalachian don_hackenberry
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
      Dear All,

      What is the text in Slavonic for the Sedalen after the first
      Psalter reading of Matins of the Nativity of Christ?

      The Bp Kallistos English translation is:

      Come, O ye faithful, and let us behold where Christ is born. Let us
      join the Magi, kings from the east, and follow the guiding star. Angels sing praises there without ceasing, and shepherds abiding in
      the fields offer a fitting hymn, saying: 'Glory in the highest to Him
      who in the cave this day is born of the Virgin and Theotokos, in
      Bethlehem of Judah.'

      What I actually need is the first sentence. It'll start
      something like "Priidite, vernii..." What I need it for is a piece
      of music I'm working on. I like to put the Slavonic first line and place in
      the liturgy at the bottom. Will be grateful if you can help.

      I'm going to change "Magi" to "wise men", "east" to "East", etc.

      Best,

      Don

    • graham woolfenden
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
        In the Slavonic books it follows the Polyeley:
        Priidite, vidim, vernii. gde rodisya Christos: posleduem prochee, amozhe idet zvezda, c volkvy voctochnymi tsari:...

        Enough?

        Igumen Gregory.

[...]

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

      • Peter Fekula
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
          In the Slavonic menaion, this Sedalen comes after the Polyeleos, rather
          than after the first Kathisma reading. The text reads:

          Пріидите, видимъ вѣрніи, гдѣ родися Христосъ:

          "Priidite, vidim vernii, gde rodisia KHristos:"

          You may get odd symols in the 3rd word (second letter) and 4th word (last
          letter). Those are "yat's".

          Peter

          appalachian
          don_hackenberry
          12/07/2007 10:54 To:
          AM Ustav@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
          (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,
          you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your
          employer does not consent to email or messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
          that do not relate to the official business of the sender's company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

          For more information on WPP's business ethical standards and corporate
          responsibility policies, please refer to WPP's website at
          http://www.wpp.com/WPP/About/
        • Deacon Michael Bishop
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
            Don,

            I'll send you the whole service in a separate post. It will be in RTF
            and I will also send the font that you need to make it work.

            Although I am missing a few pieces, I have the service ready to go. The
            WordPerfect version is in booklet format so that a priest or deacon can
            put the book in his pocket as he performs his duties.

            Deacon Michael

            appalachian don_hackenberry wrote:
            > Dear All,
            >
            > What is the text in Slavonic for the Sedalen after the first
            > Psalter reading of Matins of the Nativity of Christ?
            >
            > The Bp Kallistos English translation is:
            >
            > Come, O ye faithful, and let us behold where Christ is born. Let us
            > join the Magi, kings from the east, and follow the guiding star. Angels sing praises there without ceasing, and shepherds abiding in
            > the fields offer a fitting hymn, saying: 'Glory in the highest to Him
            > who in the cave this day is born of the Virgin and Theotokos, in
            > Bethlehem of Judah.'
            >
            > What I actually need is the first sentence. It'll start
            > something like "Priidite, vernii..." What I need it for is a piece
            > of music I'm working on. I like to put the Slavonic first line and place in
            > the liturgy at the bottom. Will be grateful if you can help.
            >
            > I'm going to change "Magi" to "wise men", "east" to "East", etc.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Don

            Deacon Michael Bishop
            PO Box 23485
            Baltimore MD 21213-5485
            http://www.Michael-Bishop.com

            See you at the Russian Festival
            17-19 October 2008
          • appalachian don_hackenberry
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
              Dear Monk Gregory, Peter, and All,

              Thank you very much indeed for your help. The fact that it comes after the Hvalite in Slavic use may be part of the reason I failed to find it with a Rambler search. Bp Kallistos notes most differences in Slavic and Greek usage, but not this one. I take it that it's after the Hvalite and Velichaem Tya, and before the Stepenny? Since I'm citing the Slavonic text, it would make sense to cite the Slavic rather than Greek place in the service. Thanks for that, too.

              Just now posted my pear pie recipe to http://donhackenberry.livejournal.com . Got that when the Kliros group moved to Live Journal. Live Journal does a great job with the Cyrillic alphabet. Yahoo Mail doesn't. Peter, I'm going to copy and paste your Cyrillic to a letter from my Yahoo address (I consider it a perk to have "cn" for China at the end. I grow and eat Chinese. Got it by clicking a box on a Peony website.) to my ACS World one, where it probably will be accurately rendered. The pear pie recipe also includes a feta sauce to put over the pie.

              Best,

              Don

            • Philip Sokolov
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2007
                Don Hackenberry wrote:

                > I'm going to change "Magi" to "wise men"

                Just curious why you would do that. Didn't Matthew write "Magoi"?

                Thanks.
                --

                Philip Sokolov
              • James Morgan
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 8, 2007
                  Dear Sdn. Philip:
                  You a funny man, you!

                  Rdr.James
                  Oly WA
                  PS When my son was about three years old he used to refer to the three wise
                  guys....

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 9, 2008
                    Does anybody have the Magnification for the Feast of the
                    Transfiguration? I need the verses in Slavonic. I think that I have
                    everything else.

                    We have a considerable number of Russians/Georgians/Slavs who attend our
                    services.

                    Thank you.

                    Deacon Michael
                    --
                    Deacon Michael Bishop
                    PO Box 23485
                    Baltimore MD 21213-5485
                    http://www.Michael-Bishop.com

                    See you at the Russian Festival
                    17-19 October 2008
                  • boulia_1
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 13, 2008
                      Dear Fr. Michael:

                      Please see:

                      http://www.rocm.org/scores/feasts/TransfigurationService.pdf

                      On page 19 of the file (page 15 of the printed document)...

                      --Elizabeth Ledkovsky

                      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Deacon Michael Bishop <Photo@...> wrote:

                      > Does anybody have the Magnification for the Feast of the
                      > Transfiguration? I need the verses in Slavonic. I think that I have
                      > everything else.
                      >
                      > We have a considerable number of Russians/Georgians/Slavs who attend
                      our
                      > services.
                      >
                      > Thank you.
                      >
                      > Deacon Michael
                      > --
                      > Deacon Michael Bishop
                      > PO Box 23485
                      > Baltimore MD 21213-5485
                      > http://www.Michael-Bishop.com
                      >
                      > See you at the Russian Festival
                      > 17-19 October 2008

                    • Deacon Michael Bishop
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 13, 2008
                        Thank you. Somebody did send me the text that I was missing. There is
                        one part that I have in Slavonic but not in English, but I'm not going
                        to worry about it now.

                        I wish that I had time to put together a music book in both languages.
                        Maybe for next year.

                        Deacon Michael