Fwd: Choir Cues: 14 Pentecost, 20 August/2 September 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 7:13 AM
      Please remember Elizabeth Riggs, the founder of Choir Cues, in your
      prayers. Her various health problems continue to plague her.

      For this day, the SJKP Liturgical Calendar specifies a simple service
      to Prophet Samuel (1F1).

      If you have any comments or questions, please contact me. If you have
      corrections, please be sure to post to me at woolfolk3@....
      However, please note that translations are from another source, and
      are not my own.

      My thanks, as always, to Fr. John Whiteford and Fr. John McCuen for
      the work they do in putting these services together.

      In Christ,
      Meg Lark

      20 August/2 September 2007
      14th SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST: Prophet Samuel (Tone 5)

      Sunday Readings: 2 Corinthians 1:21-2:4
      Matthew 22:1-14

      Afterfeast of the Dormition. Prophet Samuel. Hieromartyr Philip,
      Bishop of Heraclea, and with him Martyrs Severus, Memnon, and 37
      soldiers in Thrace. Martyr Lucius the senator of Cyprus. Martyrs
      Heliodorus and Dosa (Dausa) in Persia. Greek Calendar: Martyr
      Photina at the door of the Church in Blachernae.

      The SJKP specifies: A simple service to Prophet Samuel (1F1).

      Reader and Choir Cues

      Hours:
      Third Hour:
      Troparion of the Prophet Samuel
      After the Trisagion, we read the Resurrectional Kontakion.

      Sixth Hour:
      Troparion of the Dormition
      After the Trisagion, we read the Kontakion of the Dormition

      The Third Antiphon
      Beatitude Verses: Octoechos: 6; Feast: 4, from Ode 6.

      1. Believing Thee to be God, O Christ, the thief on the cross
      confessed Thee in a pure manner, crying out from the depths of his
      heart: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      2. Together let us hymn as Savior and Creator, Him Who on the Cross
      budded forth life for our race and caused the curse which originated
      from the tree to wither up.

      3. By Thy death hast Thou destroyed the power of death, O Christ, and
      Thou didst raise up with Thyself the dead of ages past, who now hymn
      Thee as our true God and Savior.

      4. Arriving at Thy tomb, O Christ, the honorable women sought to
      anoint Thee with myrrh, O Bestower of life; but an angel appeared to
      them, crying out: The Lord is risen!

      5. When Thou wast crucified between two condemned thieves, O Christ,
      one of them blasphemed Thee and was justly damned, while the other
      confessed Thee and dwelleth now in paradise.

      6. When they had come to the choir of the apostles, the honorable
      women cried out: Christ is risen! Let us worship Him as Master and
      Creator.

      7. God, the King of all, giveth thee that which transcendeth nature;
      for, as He kept thee a virgin during thy birthgiving, so did He
      preserve thy body untouched by corruption in the tomb; and He
      glorified thee with Himself by a divine translation, rendering thee
      honor as a Son to His Mother.

      8. Truly, O Virgin, thine Offspring set thee in the Holy of Holies as
      the splendid candlestick of the immaterial Light, the golden censer of
      the divine Coal, the jar and the staff, the divinely inscribed tablet,
      the holy ark, the table of the Word of life.

      9. From thee did Life shine forth, leaving intact the seal of thy
      virginity. How, therefore, hast thine all-pure and life-giving body
      been permitted to be tempted by death?

      10. As the temple of Life, thou didst attain life everlasting; for,
      having given birth to the hypostatic Life, thou didst pass through
      death on to life.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Rresurrectional Troparion, Tone 5: Let us, O faithful, praise and
      worship the Word / Who is co-unoriginate with the Father and the
      Spirit, / and Who was born of the Virgin for our salvation; / for He
      was pleased to ascend the Cross in the flesh / and to endure death, //
      and to raise the dead by His glorious Resurrection.

      Troparion of the Dormition, Tone 1: In giving birth thou didst
      preserve thy virginity; / in thy dormition thou didst not forsake the
      world, O Theotokos. / Thou wast translated unto life, / since thou art
      the Mother of Life; // and by thine intercessions dost thou deliver
      our souls from death.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of the Prophet, Tone 2: Celebrating the memory / of Thy
      prophet Samuel, O Lord, // through him do we entreat Thee: Save Thou
      our souls!

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 5: Unto hades, O my Savior, didst Thou
      descend, / and having broken its gates as one omnipotent, / Thou, as
      Creator, didst raise up the dead together with Thyself. / And Thou
      didst break the sting of death, / and didst deliver Adam from the
      curse, O Lover of mankind. / Wherefore, we all cry unto Thee: // Save
      us, O Lord.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory…

      Kontakion of the Prophet, Tone 8: As a gift of great worth given to
      God before thy conception, / from thine infancy thou didst serve him,
      O most blessed one; / and thou wast vouchsafed to declare beforehand
      the things of the future. // Wherefore, we cry out to thee: Rejoice, O
      Samuel, prophet of God, thou great high priest!

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Dormition, Tone 2: The grave and death could not
      hold the Theotokos, / who is sleepless in her intercessions and an
      unfailing hope in her mediations. / For as the Mother of Life she was
      translated unto life // by Him Who dwelt in her ever-virgin womb.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 5th Tone: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us
      and shalt preserve us from this generation and for evermore.
      Choir: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us and shalt preserve us from this
      generation and for evermore.
      Reader: Save me, O Lord for a righteous man there is no more.
      Choir: Thou, O Lord, shalt keep us and shalt preserve us from this
      generation and for evermore.
      Reader: In the 3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit
      hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.

      Reader: The Reading is from the 2nd Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul
      to the Corinthians:

      [2nd Corinthians 1:21-2:4]: Brethren: Now he which stablisheth us
      with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; * Who hath also
      sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. *
      Moreover I call God for a record upon my soul, that to spare you I
      came not as yet unto Corinth. * Not for that we have dominion over
      your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand. * But
      I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in
      heaviness. * For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me
      glad, but the same which is made sorry by me? * And I wrote this same
      unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I
      ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy
      of you all. * For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote
      unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye
      might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 5th Tone: Of Thy mercies, O Lord, will I sing
      for ever. Unto generation and generation will I declare Thy truth
      with my mouth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: For Thou hast said: Mercy shall be built up for ever, in the
      heavens shall Thy truth be established.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 2nd Tone. Arise, O Lord, into Thy rest, Thou and the
      ark of Thy holiness.

      [Matthew 22:1-14]: The Lord spoke this parable: The kingdom of heaven
      is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son, * And
      sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding:
      and they would not come. * Again, he sent forth other servants,
      saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner:
      my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come
      unto the marriage. * But they made light of it, and went their ways,
      one to his farm, another to his merchandise: * And the remnant took
      his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them. * But when
      the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies,
      and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. * Then saith
      he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden
      were not worthy. * Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as
      ye shall find, bid to the marriage. * So those servants went out into
      the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both
      bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests. * And when
      the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not
      on a wedding garment: * And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou
      in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. * Then
      said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him
      away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and
      gnashing of teeth. * For many are called, but few are chosen.

      MEGALYNARION

      Instead of "It is truly meet…" we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the feast, First Tone:

      Refrain: The angels, having beheld the Dormition of the Most pure
      One, / were struck with wonder, // at how the Virgin went up from
      earth to heaven.

      Irmos: In thee, O Virgin without spot, / the bounds of nature are
      overcome: / for childbirth remains virgin and death is betrothed to
      life. / O Theotokos, Virgin after bearing child and alive after
      death, // do thou ever save thine inheritance.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! I will
      take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!