Fwd: Choir Cues: Fifth Sunday of Pascha; Sunday of the Samaritan Woman; 23 April/6 May 2007

    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2007
      Christ is risen! Truly He is risen!

      Please remember in your prayers the handmaid of God Elizabeth Riggs, who
      established the Choir Cues. Her rheumatoid arthritis and other health
      problems continue to plague her.

      Choir Cues: 5 Pascha, Sunday of the Samaritan Woman. 23 April/6 May 2007

      For this day, the Liturgical Calendar (St. John of Kronstadt Press)
      specifies: a vigil-rank service for Great-Martyr George combined with
      the service for the Sunday of the Samaritan Woman in the
      Pentecostarion. The service for the afterfeast of Mid-Pentecost is
      set aside.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If you are serving in a Temple dedicated to the Lord or the
      Theotokos, please make the necessary adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to ensure
      that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a timely
      fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials available on
      his website:

      http://www.saintjonah.org/lit
      <http://www.saintjonah.org/lit>

      In Christ,
      Meg Lark

      23 April / 6 May 2007
      5TH SUNDAY OF PASCHA: Tone 4
      Fourth Sunday after Pascha
      Sunday of the Samaritan Woman
      Great-Martyr George
      Readings: Acts 11:19-26, 29-30 AND Acts 12:1-11
      John 4:5-42 AND John 15:17-16:2

      Holy Glorious Great-Martyr George. Martyrs Anatolius and Protoleon,
      soldiers converted by witnessing the martyrdom of St. George. Martyr
      Alexandra the Empress. Martyrs Glycerius, Athanasius the Magician,
      Valerius, Donatus and Therinus at Nicomedia. Blessed George of
      Shenkursk, fool-for-Christ. New-Martyr George of Ptolomais.
      New-Martyr Lazarus of Bulgaria, who suffered at Pergamus. New-Martyr
      Priest Egor (George) of the Spas-Chekriak village (1918).

      A vigil-rank service for Great-Martyr George combined with the service
      for the Sunday of the Samaritan Woman in the Pentecostarion. The
      service for the afterfeast of Mid-Pentecost is set aside.

      Hours: 3rd Hr: Troparion: of the Resurrection; Glory . . . of
      Great-Martyr George
      Kontakion: of Great-Martyr George

      6th Hr: Troparion: of the Resurrection; Glory . . . of Great-Martyr George
      Kontakion: of the Samaritan Woman

      Priest: Blessed is the Kingdom . . .

      Choir: Amen

      Priest: Christ is risen from the dead . . . (x 2.5)

      Choir: And upon those in the tombs . . .

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      12 Troparia: 4 of the Resurrection 4 from Ode III of the Canon of the
      Samaritan Woman; 4 from Ode VI of the Canon of the Saint

      1. By the tree was Adam forced to depart from paradise; but by the
      Tree of the Cross was
      the thief made to dwell in paradise. For the one by tasting, broke
      the commandment of
      the creator; while the other, crucified with Him, confessed the hidden
      God, crying out:
      Remember me in Thy kingdom!

      2. O Lord Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Who hast destroyed the
      power of death and
      as God hast destroyed the record of our sins, grant also the
      repentance of the thief unto us
      who faithfully serve Thee and cry out to thee, O Christ God Who alone
      lovest mankind:
      Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      3. On the Cross Thou didst tear asunder with the spear the record of
      our sins; and,
      numbered among the dead, Thou didst bind the tyrant of hades, O Lord Who lovest
      mankind, Who by Thy resurrection hast delivered all from the bonds of
      hades. Thereby
      have we been illumined, and we cry to Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      4. O Thou Who alone art immortal, Who wast crucified and as almighty
      didst arise from
      the tomb on the third day, and hast raised up Adam, the first created:
      Vouchsafe that I
      also may turn to repentance with my whole heart, and may ever cry out
      to Thee with
      fervent faith: Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      5. Of Thine own will wast Thou lifted up upon the Tree, O Word. The
      rocks were rent
      asunder at the sight thereof, and all creation was agitated, and the
      dead arose from the
      tombs as though from sleep.

      6. All the souls of the righteous were loosed from eternal bonds when
      they beheld Thee
      come unto Hades with Thy soul, O Word, and they praised Thy sovereign
      power, which
      surpasseth the mind.

      7. An Angel shining like lightning spake unto the myrrh-bearers: Why are ye
      astonished? Why do ye bring myrrh and seek the Master in the grave, O
      ye women? He
      is risen, and hath raised the world up with Himself.

      8. Since Thou art Life and the Well-spring of immortality, Thou didst
      sit down at the
      well, O Compassionate One, and didst fill with Thy supremely wise
      waters the Samaritan
      woman who besought Thee and praised Thee.

      9. Transcending nature, recounting and understanding are the brave
      deeds of thy valor,
      which are unceasingly hymned, O all-blessed martyr George.

      10. In that thou art a conversor with the army of heaven, and
      beholdest the revelation of
      God insofar as thou canst attain thereto, O blessed one, save those
      who honor thee with
      faith.

      11. Inclining toward God in every way, and receiving the effulgence
      of miracles, O all-
      blessed George, thou dost distribute gifts to those in need.

      12. I flee now to thee, O all-pure one. Save and preserve me by the
      supplications; for
      thou canst do all things soever thou desirest, in that thou art the
      Mother of the Almighty.

      Troparion for the Resurrection, Tone 4: Having learned the joyful
      proclamation of the Resurrection from the angel, / and having cast off
      the ancestral condemnation, / the women disciples of the Lord spake to
      the apostles exultantly: / Death is despoiled and Christ God is risen,
      // granting to the world great mercy.

      Troparion of Great-Martyr George, Tone 4: Tone 4: As a liberator of
      captives, / a helper of the poor, and a physician of the infirm, / O
      champion of kings, / victorious great martyr George, entreat Christ
      God, // that our souls be saved.

      Glory…

      Tone 4: Having been cultivated by God, / thou didst show thyself to
      be a most honorable husbandman of piety, / gathering to thyself the
      sheaves of the virtues; / for, having sown in tears, thou reapest in
      gladness, / and having suffered in the shedding of thy blood, / thou
      hast received Christ. And by thy supplications, O holy one, // thou
      grantest forgiveness of transgressions unto all.

      Both now…

      Tone 2: Having come to the well in faith, the Samaritan woman saw
      Thee, the Water of Wisdom,/ whereof having drunk abundantly, she, the
      renowned one, // inherited the kingdom on high forever.

      The Epistle:

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: O chant unto our God, chant
      ye; chant unto
      our King, chant ye.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice
      of rejoicing.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: In the 7th tone: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord,
      and shall hope in
      Him.
      Choir: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord, and shall hope in Him.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Acts of the Holy Apostles:

      [Acts 11:19-26,29-30] In those days: they which were scattered abroad
      upon the persecution that arose about Stephen traveled as far as
      Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto
      the Jews only. * And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene,
      which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians,
      preaching the Lord Jesus. * And the hand of the Lord was with them:
      and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord. * Then tidings
      of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in
      Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as
      Antioch. * Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad,
      and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave
      unto the Lord. * For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and
      of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord. * Then departed
      Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: * And when he had found him, he
      brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they
      assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the
      disciples were called
      Christians first in Antioch. * Then the disciples, every man according
      to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which
      dwelt in Judaea: * Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by
      the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

      [Acts 12:1-11] In those days, about that time Herod the king
      stretched forth his hands to vex certain of the church. * And he
      killed James the brother of John with the sword. * And because he saw
      it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then
      were the days of unleavened bread.) * And when he had apprehended him,
      he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of
      soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the
      people. * Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made
      without ceasing of the church unto God for him. * And when Herod would
      have brought him forth, the same night Peter was sleeping between two
      soldiers, bound with two chains: and the keepers before the door kept
      the prison. * And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a
      light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised
      him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his
      hands. * And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, and bind on thy
      sandals. And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about
      thee, and follow me. * And he went out, and followed him; and wist not
      that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a
      vision. * When they were past the first and the second ward, they came
      unto the iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened to them of
      his own accord: and they went out, and passed on through one street;
      and forthwith the angel departed from him. * And when Peter was come
      to himself, he said, Now I know of a surety, that the Lord hath sent
      his angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from
      all the expectation of the people of the Jews.

      THE ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 4th Tone: Bend Thy bow, and proceed
      prosperously, and be king, because of truth and meekness and
      righteousness.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Thou hast loved righteousness and hated iniquity.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: The righteous man shall flourish like a palm-tree, and like a
      cedar in Lebanon shall he be multiplied.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      Gospel [John 4:5-42] At that time, Jesus cometh to a city of Samaria,
      which is called
      Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son
      Joseph. * Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied
      with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth
      hour. * There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith
      unto her, Give me to drink. * (For his disciples were gone away unto
      the city to buy meat.) * Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How
      is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of
      Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans. * Jesus
      answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who
      it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked
      of him, and he would have given thee living water. * The woman saith
      unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep:
      from whence then hast thou that living water? * Art thou greater than
      our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself,
      and his children, and his cattle? * Jesus answered and said unto her,
      Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: * But whosoever
      drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but
      the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water
      springing up into everlasting life. * The woman saith unto him, Sir,
      give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw. *
      Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. * The
      woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou
      hast well said, I have no husband: * For thou hast had five husbands;
      and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou
      truly. * The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a
      prophet. * Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that
      in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. * Jesus saith
      unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in
      this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. * Ye worship
      ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the
      Jews. * But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers
      shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father
      seeketh such to worship him. * God is a Spirit: and they that worship
      him must worship him in spirit and in truth. * The woman saith unto
      him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is
      come, he will tell us all things. * Jesus saith unto her, I that speak
      unto thee am he. * And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled
      that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or,
      Why talkest thou with her? * The woman then left her waterpot, and
      went her way into the city, and saith to the men, * Come, see a man,
      which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ? *
      Then they went out of the city, and came unto him. * In the mean while
      his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat. * But he said unto
      them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. * Therefore said the
      disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat? *
      Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me,
      and to finish his work. * Say not ye, There are yet four months, and
      then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and
      look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. * And he
      that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal:
      that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together. *
      And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth. * I
      sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men
      laboured, and ye are entered into their labours. * And many of the
      Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman,
      which testified, He told me all that ever I did. * So when the
      Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry
      with them: and he abode there two days. * And many more believed
      because of his own word; * And said unto the woman, Now we believe,
      not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know
      that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

      [John 15:17-16:2] 17: The Lord said unto his disciples: These things
      I command you, that ye love one another. * If the world hate you, ye
      know that it hated me before it hated you. * If ye were of the world,
      the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but
      I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. *
      Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater
      than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute
      you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. * But all
      these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they
      know not him that sent me. * If I had not come and spoken unto them,
      they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin. * He
      that hateth me hateth my Father also. * If I had not done among them
      the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have
      they both seen and hated both me and my Father. * But this cometh to
      pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law,
      They hated me without a cause. * But when the Comforter is come, whom
      I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which
      proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: * And ye also
      shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning. *
      These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. *
      They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that
      whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

      Instead of "It is truly meet…" we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the Canon of the feast, first Tone:

      Refrain: The angel cried unto her that is full of grace: Rejoice, O
      pure Virgin! And again I say, rejoice! For thy Son is risen from the
      grave on the third day, and hath raised the dead, O ye people, be
      joyful!

      Irmos: Shine, shine, O new Jerusalem, for the glory of the Lord is
      risen upon thee; dance now and be glad, O Zion, and do thou exult, O
      pure Theotokos, in the arising of Him Whom thou didst bear.

      Communion Verse: Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the
      highest. In
      everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid
      of evil tidings.
      Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

      We sing "Christ is risen…" instead of "We have seen the true light…"

      At the dismissal, when the priest says: "Glory to Thee, O Christ God…"
      The Choir sings
      "Christ is risen…" x3 instead of "Glory… Both now… Father bless!"
      Then the priest
      gives the dismissal.
    • Carol Surgant
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2007
        The correct tone of the Kontakion of the Samaritan is Tone 8.

        Music in Slavonic: http://www.rocm.org/scores/tk/Pentecostarion-5Sun-08.pdf
        Music in English: http://music.russianorthodox-stl.org/music/pentecostarion/5thSunSam/Pent_5thSun_Sam_K_Obik8_050606.pdf

        Meg Lark <woolfolk3@...> wrote:
        Both now…
        Tone 2: Having come to the well in faith, the Samaritan woman saw
        Thee, the Water of Wisdom,/ whereof having drunk abundantly, she, the
        renowned one, // inherited the kingdom on high forever.

      • boulia_1
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2007
          Carol -- Christ is Risen! Thanks for the cross reference to rocm.org

          For any who are interested but aren't on the rocm.org mailing list, I
          was up very late last night posting as much music to the site as has
          been added the entire year (maybe 2!) prior. I normally
          don't "advertise" the site here, but this time I thought it might be
          of interest, as most of the additions are settings I completed for
          the ROCOR choir that will participate in the services planned for
          Ascension and thereafter in Moscow. Peter Fekula has done a nice job
          of selecting arrangements representing the emigration's fruits:
          you'll see Gardner and Konstantinov and Kedrov... we are singing many
          others, but I haven't been the typesetter for everything (!)

          More, including Konstantinov's Cherubic Hymn from his Liturgy, will
          be posted soon -- as well as upcoming Menaion items, of course.

          In the risen Christ,
          Elizabeth Ledkovsky