Re: Liturgy in Slavonic/English

  • Fr. Alexey Chumakov
    Message 1 of 124 , Dec 1, 2006
      I must respectully disagree. The intent and content of the anaphora
      prayers is that they are the prayers of the people, and not of priest
      alone. I believe that considerable number of scholars of liturgics
      agree with this. Furthermore, in most active and, I dare say,
      spiritual parishes in Moscow, that I visited, anaphora is said audibly
      by the priest. This is either achieved by the choir singing their part
      once, and then prayers are proclaimed by the presiding priest. A
      slightly different practice found sometimes is that the choir keeps
      singing, but not very loudly, so that the words of the prayer can be
      heard. Having witnessed this, I was much impressed, and sorry for all
      those times when the deep meaning of these prayers of eucharistic
      canon remain hidden from the very people who are supposed to pray them
      together. Clericalism is indeed our heritage and tradition from the
      middle ages, but hardly the one to be proud of.

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John Whiteford"
      <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

      > That would be because this is a text for the choir and laity, and
      according to the universal practice of the Church prior to very recent
      American innovations, these prayers are not done out loud. This is
      still the practice of the Russian Church... which would typically be
      the Church using a slavonic / english text of the liturgy.
      > These prayers are found in the priest's sluzhebnik.
      >
      > -Fr. John Whiteford
      >
      > David-Constantine Wright <constantinewright@...> wrote:
      > -----From: Maria Armstrong aaron-maria@...
      >
      > >>On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:44:42 -0000 "Rdr. Vyacheslav" off2port@...
      > >>writes:
      > >>
      > >>Does anyone out there have a link to a file (or a file to send) that
      > >>has the liturgy in Slavonic (using Russian letters) and English
      > >>side-by-side?
      >
      > >http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/liturgy_e.htm
      >
      > FYI the above-referenced work leaves out the full text of the
      Anaphora, the Eucharistic Canon.

      > Fr. John Whiteford

      > St. Jonah Orthodox Church
      > Parish Home Page: http://www.saintjonah.org/
      > Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

    • G. B.
      Message 124 of 124 , Sep 19, 2007
        Is there a Slavonic service to the icon of the Theotokos "Quick to
        Hear" (Skoroposlushnitsa), Sept. 22 [Oct.5], and if so, where can one
        obtain it? I know only of the Akathist.

        R. G.