Two Questions

  • hmkzosimas
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6 11:47 AM
      1–According to our edition of the Octoechos (SJKP), the third sticheron at Lord I Have Cried
      for Tone 8, Tuesday Evening reads:

      The unblemished heifer, beholding her Bullock uplifted upon the Tree of His own will,
      cried out with compunction, lamenting: "Woe is me, O my Child most beloved! How hath
      the ungrateful assembly of the Jews rewarded Thee, desiring to leave me bereft of Thee, O
      Most Beloved!"

      This is a Stavrotheotokion; it seems misplaced. Is this an anomaly or an error. If it is an
      error, what is the correct sticheron?

      2–Again in the Octoechos, Tone 7, Friday Matins, Ode 3, the Irmos for the Canon of the
      Cross reads:

      My heart hath been established in the Lord; my horn hath been exalted in my God; my
      mouth hath been enlarged over the enemy; and I have found gladness in Thy salvation.

      This is nearly identical to a Tone 8 Irmos which appears, among other places, at Ode 3 of
      Tuesday Matins for Tone 8. Is this an error, and, if so, what is the correct Irmos there?

      Thank you in advance.
    • Kyril Jenner
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6 12:28 PM

        It may be an anomaly, but it is what is in the Slavonic text. The Greek is
        not the same.

        >2-Again in the Octoechos, Tone 7, Friday Matins, Ode 3, the Irmos for the
        >Canon of the
        >Cross reads:
        >
        >My heart hath been established in the Lord; my horn hath been exalted in my
        >God; my
        >mouth hath been enlarged over the enemy; and I have found gladness in Thy
        >salvation.
        >
        >This is nearly identical to a Tone 8 Irmos which appears, among other
        >places, at Ode 3 of
        >Tuesday Matins for Tone 8. Is this an error, and, if so, what is the
        >correct Irmos there?

        This is an error, possibly arising from both starting with the same word in
        Slavonic. The text should read:

        "By faith is the Church of Christ made strong and in unceasing hymns she
        cries: Holy art Thou, O Lord, and unto Thee doth my spirit sing!"

        (translation by the late Mother Mary)

        Archimandrite Kyril Jenner