Choir Cues: Sunday 16 after Pent; Afterfeast of Exaltation of Cross

  • Elizabeth Riggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2006
      SPECIAL NOTE: Please continue to keep the handmaiden of God Marina
      (Meg Lark) in your prayers. She is home from hospital and is
      continuing to recover from complications of surgery on August 10.

      DISCLAIMER: Please review these materials for typos and just plain old
      mistakes! My spell-checker won't catch some words that are misusages
      (like bare for bear).

      For this day, the Liturgical Calendar (SJoKP) specifies "According to
      the SJoKP Liturgical Calendar, a simple service to St. Eumenes in the
      Afterfeast of the Exaltation of the Cross (1F1 in the SJoKP Order of
      Divine Services)."

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia given here is for a Temple
      dedicated to a saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to
      the Theotokos, please make appropriate adjustments.

      If you have any comments or questions, please contact me. If you have
      corrections, please be sure to immediately post to me at:
      ewriggs -at- hotmail -dot- com (replace the -at- with @ and the -dot-
      with .) to ensure all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections
      in a timely fashion!

      With Love in Christ,
      Elizabeth, the sinner
      and Perennial Student

      18 September / 1 October 2006

      16TH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
      (Tone 7)
      Sunday Readings:
      Galatians 2:16-20 Mark 8:34-9:1
      2nd Corinthians 6:1-10 Matthew 25:14-30
      Afterfeast of the Exaltation of the Cross.
      St. Eumenius, Bishop of Gortyna; Martyr Ariadne of Phrygia; Martyrs
      Sophia and Irene of Egypt; Martyr Castor of Alexandria; St. Arcadius,
      Bishop of Novgorod; Great-Martyr Prince Bidzini and Martyrs Prince
      Elizbar and Prince Shalva of Georgia; Repose of Blessed Irene of the
      Green Hill Monastery (18th century) and Elder Hilarion of Optina (1873).

      According to the SJoKP Liturgical Calendar, a simple service to St.
      Eumenes in the Afterfeast of the Exaltation of the Cross (1F1 in the
      SJoKP Order of Divine Services).

      Reader and Choir Cues

      Hours: 3rd Hour: Troparia: Resurrection; Glory...; of the
      Exaltation
      Kontakion: of the Exaltation
      6th Hour: Troparia: Resurrection; Glory...; of the
      Exaltation
      Kontakion: of the Resurrection

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos and 4 from Ode V & VI of the Canon
      of the Exaltation

      Fair to look upon and good for food was the fruit that killed me;
      while Christ is the Tree of Life. Eating Thereof I die not but cry
      aloud with the thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom.

      Lifted upon the Cross, Thou Who art compassionate, hast blotted out
      the handwriting of Adam's sin in days of old, and Thou hast saved from
      error all the whole live of mortal men. Therefore we sing Thy
      praises, O Benefactor and Lord.

      Thou hast nailed our sins upon the Cross, O Christ Who art
      compassionate, and by Thy death hast Thou put death to death, raising
      the dead from the dead. Therefore we venerate Thy holy Resurrection.

      The serpent once emptied his poison into the ears of Eve; while Christ
      on the wood of the Cross poured the sweetness of life unto the world.
      Remember me, O Lord, in Thy Kingdom.

      In the tomb wast Thou laid as mortal, O Christ, the Life of all and
      Thou hast burst asunder the chains of hell and risen the third day in
      glory as mighty, Thou hast enlightened all. Glory to Thy Rising.

      The Lord rose from the dead on the third day and gave His own peace to
      the disciples. And He blessed them and sent them forth saying: Lead
      ye all men into my Kingdom.

      O ever-hymned Tree, whereon Christ was stretched: the whirling sword
      which guarded Eden stood in awe of thee, O Cross, and the dread
      cherubim withdrew, when Christ was nailed to thee, Who granteth peace
      unto our souls.

      The adverse powers of the nether world are stricken with fear when the
      sign of the Cross is traced in the air in which they live, as are the
      generations of the earthborn and the heavenly, who bend the knee to
      Christ, Who granteth peace unto our souls.

      Bent with age and weighed down with infirmity, Jacob drew himself up
      when he crossed his arms, showing forth the power of the life-bearing
      Cross; for God Who was nailed in the flesh hath set aright the
      obsolescence of the law of the Scripture which was written in shadows,
      and hath dispelled the soul-destroying disease of deception.

      Divine Israel, laying his hands cross-wise upon the heads of the
      young, revealed that the people who hath the honor of being the elder
      is a slave to the law. Wherefore, when suspected of erring in so
      doing, he did not alter the life-bearing image, for, he said,
      protected by the Cross, the newly established people of Christ God
      surpass them.

      Troparion of the Resurrection
      (Tone 7)
      Thou didst destroy death by Thy Cross, / Thou didst open Paradise to
      the thief. / Thou didst change the lamentation of the Myrrh-bearers, /
      and Thou didst command Thine Apostles / to proclaim that Thou didst
      arise, / O Christ God, // and grantest to the world great mercy.

      Troparion of the Cross
      (Tone 1)
      O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine inheritance. / Grant victory
      unto Orthodox Christians / over their adversaries, / and by the power
      of Thy Cross // preserve Thy habitation.

      Troparion of the Temple

      Troparion of the Cross
      (Tone 7)
      No longer will the dominion of death be able to keep men captive; /
      for Christ hath descended, demolishing and destroying the powers
      thereof. / Hades is bound; / the prophets rejoice with one voice,
      saying: / A Savior hath come for them that have faith. // Come forth,
      ye faithful, for the Resurrection.

      Kontakion of the Temple

      Glory . . .

      Kontakion of St. Eumenius
      (Tone 2)
      Illumined with divine light, / thou dost enlighten us who hymn / thine
      honored, glorious and holy repose with love, / O most blessed and holy
      hierarch, father Eumenius, // unceasingly praying for us all.

      Kontakion of the Resurrection
      (Tone 7)
      No longer will the dominion of death / be able to keep men captive; /
      for Christ hath descended, / demolishing and destroying the powers
      thereof. / Hades is bound; / the Prophets rejoice with one voice,
      saying: / A Saviour hath come for them that have faith. / Come forth,
      ye faithful, // for the Resurrection.

      Both now and ever . . .

      Kontakion of the Cross
      (Tone 4)
      O Thou Who wast lifted up willingly on the Cross, / bestow Thy mercies
      upon the new community named after Thee, O Christ God; / gladden with
      Thy power the Orthodox Christians, / granting them victory over
      enemies; // may they have as Thy help the weapon of peace, the
      invincible trophy.

      The Prokeimenon in the 7th Tone

      Exalt ye the Lord our God and worship the footstool of His feet // for
      it is holy.

      Vs/: The Lord is king, let the peoples rage.

      Epistle: (Galatians 2:16-20; 2 Corinthians 6:1-10)

      Brethren: Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law,
      but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus
      Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by
      the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be
      justified. * But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we
      ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of
      sin? God forbid. * For if I build again the things which I destroyed,
      I make myself a transgressor. * For I through the law am dead to the
      law, that I might live unto God. * I am crucified with Christ:
      nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
      which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God,
      who loved me, and gave himself for me.

      Brethren: We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that
      ye receive not the grace of God in vain * (For he saith, I have heard
      thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured
      thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of
      salvation.) * Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be
      not blamed: * But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers
      of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in
      distresses, * In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours,
      in watchings, in fastings; * By pureness, by knowledge, by
      longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned, *
      By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of
      righteousness on the right hand and on the left, * By honour and
      dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
      * As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as
      chastened, and not killed; * As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as
      poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all
      things.

      Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
      Reader: And to thy spirit.

      The Alleluia in the 1st Tone
      (PAUSE before first verse)

      Remember Thy congregation which Thou hast purchased from the beginning.

      Vs/: But God is our king before the ages, He hath wrought salvation in
      the midst of the earth.

      Gospel: (Mark 8:34-9:1; Matthew 25:14-30)

      At that time when Jesus had called the people unto him with his
      disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let
      him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. * For
      whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose
      his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. * For
      what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose
      his own soul? * Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? *
      Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this
      adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be
      ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy
      angels. * And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be
      some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till
      they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

      The Lord said: For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a
      far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his
      goods. * And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to
      another one; to every man according to his several ability; and
      straightway took his journey. * Then he that had received the five
      talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five
      talents. * And likewise he that had received two, he also gained
      other two. * But he that had received one went and digged in the
      earth, and hid his lord's money. * After a long time the lord of
      those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. * And so he that had
      received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying,
      Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained
      beside them five talents more. * His lord said unto him, Well done,
      thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few
      things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the
      joy of thy lord. * He also that had received two talents came and
      said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have
      gained two other talents beside them. * His lord said unto him, Well
      done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few
      things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the
      joy of thy lord. * Then he which had received the one talent came and
      said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou
      hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: * And I was
      afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast
      that is thine. * His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and
      slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and
      gather where I have not strawed: * Thou oughtest therefore to have
      put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have
      received mine own with usury. * Take therefore the talent from him,
      and give it unto him which hath ten talents. * For unto every one
      that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him
      that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. * And cast
      ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be
      weeping and gnashing of teeth.

      Instead of "It is truly meetÂ…" we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the feast, Eighth Tone:

      Refrain: Magnify, O my soul, / the most precious Cross of the Lord.

      Irmos: O Theotokos, thou art a mystical Paradise, / who untilled
      hast brought forth Christ. / He hath planted upon the earth the
      life-giving Tree of the Cross: / therefore at its exaltation on this
      day, // we worship Him and thee do we magnify.

      Communion Verse

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise him in the highest.
      The light of Thy countenance, O Lord, hath been signed upon us.

      Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

      Dismissal