Re: [ustav] Re: Patronal feast

  • BAUMGARTH@FORDHAM.EDU
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 1969
      Our Paronal Feast, happening this year on a Sunday, is nearly upon us.
      Regarding Matins: is the tropar chanted after the Great Doxology one of the
      two provided for the usual Sunday office? I cannot find any explicit
      direction for this under the provisions for a great feast of the Theotokos
      when such occurs on a Sunday in the SJKP Order for Divine Services.
      Thanks,
      Patrick
    • bradley anderson
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 12, 2006
        I am assuming that this practice arose because the censing takes place during the Evlogitaria and thus the extra Psalm verses are not needed to give time for that on a Sunday? It is too bad that the Psalm verses are so little included in modern practice, since they provide a beautiful demonstration of the foreshadowing of these events in the OT.

        I sometimes use them as verses between repetitions of the appointed communion hymn at Liturgy -- this may not be strictly correct, but I like hearing them...

        Bradley (Edward) Anderson

        Kenneth Doll <dollpka@...> wrote:
        My recollection is that if a vigil rank feast falls on a Sunday, the
        choir sings the Polyeleos, then the clergy sing the Maginification
        once without Psalm verses or repetitions, then the choir immediately
        sings the Evlogitaria. I hope that I am recalling correctly!
        Kenneth Doll

      • Daniel Olson
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 13, 2006
          There is another feature of the patronal feast which is often overlooked,
          i.e., when the patronal feast occurs on a Sunday the service is similar in
          certain respects to a great feast of the Theotokos on a Sunday.
          Specifically,

          1. The Matins prokeimenon is for the patron saint and not for the
          resurrection in the tone of the week; however, the Hymns of Ascent preceding
          the prokeimenon are in the tone of the week.

          2. The Matins Gospel is for the patron saint and not for the resurrection;
          however, "Having beheld the resurrection..." is still sung after the Gospel.

          3. After Psalm 50, on "Glory..." the verse sung is for the patron saint and
          not the usual "Through the prayers of the apostles..."

          4. After the verse "Have mercy on me, O God..." the sticheron of the patron
          saint is sung and not the usual "Jesus, having risen from the grave..."

          5. After the canon, the proper Gospel exapostilarion is still chanted even
          though the corresponding resurrection Gospel was not read previously.

          6. At "Glory..." in the Praises, the doxasticon of the patron saint is sung
          and not the Gospel sticheron.

          7. After the dismissal of Matins and the polychronion (before the First
          Hour), on "Glory...Both now..." the Gospel sticheron is sung even though the
          corresponding resurrectional Gospel was not read previously.

          Another point of interest is that the Typicon appoints an apodosis for the
          patronal feast. This is served at Vespers on the day of the feast, which
          has the following order:

          At "Lord, I have cried...," 3 stichera of the patron saint and 3 stichera of
          the saint of the coming day; "Glory..." doxasticon of the patron saint;
          "Both now..." dogmatic theotokion in the tone of the doxasticon.

          There is no entrance. After the daily prokeimenon, "Vouchsafe, O Lord..." is
          immediately said, followed by the Supplicatory Litany.

          At the Aposticha, the stichera of the patron saint are sung with their psalm
          verses; "Glory...," doxasticon of the patron saint; "Both now..." aposticha
          resurrectional theotokion.

          After the Prayer of St. Symeon and the Trisagion Prayers, the troparion of
          the patron saint is sung; "Glory...," troparion of the saint of the coming
          day; "Both now...," resurrectional theotokion in the tone of the troparion
          of the saint of the coming day.

          Then the Augmented Litany is said followed by the usual dismissal sequence.
          In this manner the patronal feast is given up.

          According to the Typicon, the apodosis of the patronal feast is not served
          on Saturday evening or on the eve of "a feast of Christ or the Theotokos or
          of a great saint having a vigil, or polyeleos, or entrance, or paremia."

          Daniel Olson
        • Sergius Miller
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
            --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, BAUMGARTH@... wrote:

            Fr. Deacon,

            Except for the great feasts of the Savior always do one of 2
            resurrection tropars even on the great feasts of the Thetokos.

            Sergius Miller

          • BAUMGARTH@FORDHAM.EDU
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 27, 2006
              Thanks!