Re: Goar's Euchologion

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      Cezar, I don't believe that Goar has been made accesible in
      electronic form. The book was published first in Paris in 1647,
      reprinted in Venice in 1630, and issued as a photoreprint by
      Akademische Druck- u. Verlagsanstalt, Graz, 1960. If you have access
      to a major academic library, perhaps the Graz reprint is there?

      Goar received some publicity in the 1990s, when a historian
      published a book claiming that the rite of adelphopoiisis, found in
      Goar and other old sources, was a church-sanctioned homosexual
      union. This thesis was firmly rejected by almost all other
      historians whose area of research was relevant to the question, but
      of course it was a topic in the popular media for a while. This may
      have caused more libraries to get requests for it and to acquire a
      copy.

      In any case, if it has not been made available in PDF or similar
      format (I have been unable to find it on line), it should be.
      Perhaps someone on this list has the ability to do this?

      Stephen

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Cezar Login" <cezarlogin@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking for a PDF or another format electronic version of
      Goar's
      > Euchologion.
      >
      > Is it available anywhere on the net?
      >
      > Thank you in advanced.
      >
      > Cezar

    • Cezar Login
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        It's true. But in Romania I have no idea where to find this book.
        I was very happy when Dmitrievsky's 2nd volume was scanned and made
        available on-line.
        I hope that this book will also be available in the same format. I believe
        it will be of great help.
        The same with the 1st volume of Dmitrievsky.

        Cezar

        On 9/1/06, stephen_r1937 <stephen_r1937@...> wrote:

        > Cezar, I don't believe that Goar has been made accesible in
        > electronic form. The book was published first in Paris in 1647,
        > reprinted in Venice in 1630, and issued as a photoreprint by
        > Akademische Druck- u. Verlagsanstalt, Graz, 1960. If you have access
        > to a major academic library, perhaps the Graz reprint is there?
        >
        > Goar received some publicity in the 1990s, when a historian
        > published a book claiming that the rite of adelphopoiisis, found in
        > Goar and other old sources, was a church-sanctioned homosexual
        > union. This thesis was firmly rejected by almost all other
        > historians whose area of research was relevant to the question, but
        > of course it was a topic in the popular media for a while. This may
        > have caused more libraries to get requests for it and to acquire a
        > copy.
        >
        > In any case, if it has not been made available in PDF or similar
        > format (I have been unable to find it on line), it should be.
        > Perhaps someone on this list has the ability to do this?
        >
        > Stephen
        >

        > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com <ustav%40yahoogroups.com>, "Cezar Login"
        > <cezarlogin@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm looking for a PDF or another format electronic version of
        > Goar's
        > > Euchologion.
        > >
        > > Is it available anywhere on the net?
        > >
        > > Thank you in advanced.
        > >
        > > Cezar

      • Cezar Login
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2007
          Dear list memebres,

          Does anyone know where from I cand find and buy a reprint of the
          following volumes:

          1. Goar's Euchologion
          2. Dmitrievskii - Opisanie (3 vols.)

          Thank you. Please answer on my private e-mail:
          cezarlogin(at)yahoo(dot)fr

          In Christ,
          Cezar
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 19, 2011
            Hello everyone,

            Please pardon me for joining this group to dredge up a thread from over five years ago, but I have some new information.

            In message 20154, Prof. Reynolds responded to a question about the availability in electronic form of Goar's "Euchologion" as follows:

            > I don't believe that Goar has been made accesible in
            > electronic form. The book was published first in Paris in 1647,
            > reprinted in Venice in 1630, and issued as a photoreprint by
            > Akademische Druck- u. Verlagsanstalt, Graz, 1960. If you have access
            > to a major academic library, perhaps the Graz reprint is there?
            >
            >[...snip...]
            >
            > In any case, if it has not been made available in PDF or similar
            > format (I have been unable to find it on line), it should be.
            > Perhaps someone on this list has the ability to do this?

            It was the second edition(from 1730, or course; Prof. Reynolds's 1630 date is just a typo) that was reprinted at Graz in 1960. Its title page says "editio secunda". I'm not sure whether changes undesirable from an Orthodox point of view were made. I do know that when my grandfather was translating some of the Orthodox services into English, he was careful to cite the Paris edition of Goar's Euchologion as his reference, not a later one.

            In any case, several versions of Goar's Euchologion now seem to be available as PDFs through Google Books.

            If I have copied and pasted links properly, the second (Venice) edition is at http://books.google.com/books?id=zKQ-AAAAcAAJ&dq=goar%20euchologion&pg=PP7#v=onepage&q&f=false

            and the original, Paris, edition is at
            http://books.google.com/books?id=YrpFAAAAcAAJ&dq=euchologion%20goar&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

            For the second book, the on-line version includes color images of each page, but the downloadable PDF is in black and white only. I find the on-line color version somewhat easier to read.

            A search on Google Books (not the main Google Web page) for the text "goar euchologion" (without the quotation marks) seems to turn up several more copies of the work. That might be helpful if some pages are unreadable in some copies.

            I hope this information is helpful to those interested in Goar's Euchologion.

            Michael Decerbo
            Cambridge, Mass. USA
          • Dbrearle@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2011
              In a message dated 19/09/2011 5:24:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              mdecerbo@... writes:

              If I have copied and pasted links properly, the second (Venice) edition is
              at
              _http://books.google.com/books?id=zKQ-AAAAcAAJ&dq=goar%20euchologion&pg=PP7#v=onepage&q&f=false_
              (http://books.google.com/books?id=zKQ-AAAAcAAJ&dq=goar%20euchologion&pg=PP7#v=onepage&q&f=false)

              and the original, Paris, edition is at
              _http://books.google.com/books?id=YrpFAAAAcAAJ&dq=euchologion%20goar&pg=PP1#
              v=onepage&q&f=false_
              (http://books.google.com/books?id=YrpFAAAAcAAJ&dq=euchologion%20goar&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false)

              Thank you for the reference to Goar "on-line". It is not a book I use
              everyday and one day it will be yours on the shores of .....

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 7, 2011
                Thank you for this information. With all its faults, the internet continues to make accessible rare sources. Goar printed a deal of matter that had fallen into desuetude and was not included in the printed editions of the liturgical books, and it is good to have his compendium on line.

                And thanks for correcting my typo, which placed the revised edition seventeen years before the original! Perhaps someone has time to compare the two editions and describe the differences?

                Stephen

                --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mdecerbo@...> wrote:

                > Hello everyone,
                >
                > Please pardon me for joining this group to dredge up a thread from over five years ago, but I have some new information.
                >
                > In message 20154, Prof. Reynolds responded to a question about the availability in electronic form of Goar's "Euchologion" as follows:
                >
                > > I don't believe that Goar has been made accesible in
                > > electronic form. The book was published first in Paris in 1647,
                > > reprinted in Venice in 1630, and issued as a photoreprint by
                > > Akademische Druck- u. Verlagsanstalt, Graz, 1960. If you have access
                > > to a major academic library, perhaps the Graz reprint is there?
                > >
                > >[...snip...]
                > >
                > > In any case, if it has not been made available in PDF or similar
                > > format (I have been unable to find it on line), it should be.
                > > Perhaps someone on this list has the ability to do this?
                >
                > It was the second edition(from 1730, or course; Prof. Reynolds's 1630 date is just a typo) that was reprinted at Graz in 1960. Its title page says "editio secunda". I'm not sure whether changes undesirable from an Orthodox point of view were made. I do know that when my grandfather was translating some of the Orthodox services into English, he was careful to cite the Paris edition of Goar's Euchologion as his reference, not a later one.
                >
                > In any case, several versions of Goar's Euchologion now seem to be available as PDFs through Google Books.
                >
                > If I have copied and pasted links properly, the second (Venice) edition is at http://books.google.com/books?id=zKQ-AAAAcAAJ&dq=goar%20euchologion&pg=PP7#v=onepage&q&f=false
                >
                > and the original, Paris, edition is at
                > http://books.google.com/books?id=YrpFAAAAcAAJ&dq=euchologion%20goar&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false
                >
                > For the second book, the on-line version includes color images of each page, but the downloadable PDF is in black and white only. I find the on-line color version somewhat easier to read.
                >
                > A search on Google Books (not the main Google Web page) for the text "goar euchologion" (without the quotation marks) seems to turn up several more copies of the work. That might be helpful if some pages are unreadable in some copies.
                >
                > I hope this information is helpful to those interested in Goar's Euchologion.
                >

                > Michael Decerbo
                > Cambridge, Mass. USA

              • Antonio Palad
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 12, 2011
                  "Goar printed a deal of matter that had fallen into desuetude..."

                  Examples, please.