[ustav] Need direction: "Of Thy mystical supper"

  • Michael Malloy
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 1998
      Hello dear Ustavians!

      Just before Holy Communion we sing "Of Thy mystical supper" in tone 6. My
      knowledge of Church Slavonic is less than I'd like it to be at this time.
      Can anyone tell me what the text for this is in Church Slavonic? I'd like
      to be able to alternate the two since we repeat it between readings (the
      readings are in Church Slavonic at least).

      +++ End of message +++

      Michael Malloy (malloy.2@...)
      Sancta Crux Sis Mihi Lux, Ne Satana Sis Mihi Dux

    • Rev. Stefan Pavlenko
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 17, 1998
        Hello dear Ustavians!

        > Just before Holy Communion "Of Thy mystical supper" the text for this is in Church Slavonic;
        "Veche-pi Tvoye-ya tai-ni-ya dnes, Sinye Bojii, prichastnika mya priimi: ne bo vragom tvoim tai-nu povem, nee lobzania tee damm yako ee-you-da, n'o yako raz-boy-nik ee-spoved-a-you ts-ya: po-m'ya-nee m'ya, hg-ospo-dee, vo tsar-stvee-ee Tvo-yeam."
        Singing this hymn during communion or even just before, as I understand it, is reserved for Great and Holy Thursday Liturgy when it is also sung in place of the Cherubimic Hymn.
        Hope this Helps!
        Archpriest Stefan "spavlenk@..."
        a ROCA clergyman

        -----
        See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/ustav/?start=1
      • Genevieve Holland
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 17, 1998
          > Singing this hymn during communion or even just >before, as I
          understand it, is reserved for Great and >Holy Thursday Liturgy when
          it is also sung in place of >the Cherubimic Hymn.
          > Hope this Helps!

          I have seen "Of Thy Mystical Supper" sung as a pre-communion hymn in
          several places, perhaps because doing stichera or misc. hymns takes a
          bit more planning and effort adn just reading something could get
          monotonous. We usually sing the stichera for the saint of the day,
          which I think is nice because it lets people who missed Vigil still
          hear them.

          Genevieve
          ==
          Genevieve Holland | genevieveholland@...
          | 2102 Summit Dr.
          | McKinney, TX 75070
          | St. Nicholas ROCA <www.orthodox.net>
          +Let every breath praise the Lord!+

        • Justin
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 18, 1998
            We usually sing the Tropar and Kontak of the Temple, sing "From My Youth."
            I've seen the Prolouge read for the Saint of the day, and the Homily that
            follows it read during the Clergy Communion. Any thoughts on this?

            Justin