Re: [ustav] Request to stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks

  • Fr. John Whiteford
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
      The question is totally unconnected with the discussion on this list. It brings up all sorts of issues that have nothing to do with the typikon. The reaction is also not unconnect with a pattern of turning discussions on other lists on to a few issues that revolve around Olympiada's personal hurts. I think we should be charitable. She is a hurting person. However, she should not be posting things on a list like this that has with very few exceptions managed to avoid controversy over the years.

      -Fr. John Whiteford

      emrys@... wrote:
      I am dismayed that people are making uncharitable attacks on Olympiada.

      She placed a polite question before this group and was attacked for

      1. her participation in various Orthodox e-lists,
      2. labelled as a "single mother" with the implication that she is
      neglecting her child or children and spending too much time on the Net
      3. advised to write children's books
      4. advised to study the Fathers more
      5. came in for more attacks when protesting about the uncalled for hurtful
      words

      amd finally, to top it off,

      6. called a cyber nutcase.

      Her question was, in my opinion, not unconnected with the interests of this
      Group and people could have steered her in the right direction or simply
      said nothing rather than be so mean to her.

      Here is what she asked:

      "Greetings All
      "I am starting to work on the musical history of the Holy Order of MANS with
      a member of another group. Does anyone in this group know
      anything about it or can refer me to anyone who does? I am starting to send
      out private messages on this subject as well.
      "Thank you
      "Olympiada"

      Fr Ambrose

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Fr. John Whiteford
      St. Jonah Orthodox Church
      Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/

    • emrys@globe.net.nz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        From: "Fr. John Whiteford" <frjohnwhiteford@...>

        > The question is totally unconnected with the discussion on this list. It
        brings up all sorts of issues that have nothing to do with the typikon.

        We have had recent off-topuc threads and messages about cassocks in hot
        weather, finding a parish in the mid West, going to the MP (which brought in
        masses of extraneous material such as women priests and the WCC and
        ecumenism), Dr Rigg seeking advice about writing a book on retirement...
        and there may be more but that is all I can recall offhand.. None of those
        posters were ridiculed and called cyber nutcases.

        > It brings up all sorts of issues that have nothing to do with the typikon.

        People could have simply answered the question on the music used by HOOMS.
        No other issues were brought up. I refuse to see any justification for
        uncharitable words.

        Fr Ambrose
      • Fr. John Whiteford
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
          If you have been on the lists where these threads have been allowed to run unchecked, you can predict with certainty where this one is headed. If you haven't been, then the fact that you do not understand the strong reaction is understandable.

          -Fr. John Whiteford