Re: Vyhod?

  • Daniel Olson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2006

      On 5/27/2006, Nikita Simmon wrote:

      > A "vy'khod" is the opposite of a "vkhod" ("entrance"). It is when
      > there is a procession (an "exit") to the narthex, which we usually
      > call a "Litiya". As you know, many celebrated saints have a Litya
      > appointed, with special stichera, which is what the Typicon is
      > referring to in Chapter 21.

      The problem here is that "vyhod" and "vhod" are sometimes used
      interchangeably to refer to an "entrance" either in Vespers or during the
      Liturgy. This is borne out in Dahl's dictionary where one entry discusses
      the "malyj vyhod" ("Little Entrance") at the Divine Liturgy.

      Given the context of Chapter 21 of the Typicon cited by Jopi above, the
      meaning of "vyhod" must be understand as "entrance" and specifically as the
      "entrance" at Vespers. A commemoration with an "entrance" at Vespers is one
      way of distinguishing between various ranks of services.

      This understanding of "vykhod" as "entrance" is appropriate because the
      passage under consideration includes various other ranks of commemorations
      such as vigil, polyeleos and doxology along with those that have a "vykhod"
      or "vhod" (i.e., "entrance") at Vespers.

      Daniel Olson
    • Michel Englert
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
        Nice Feast to all!

        > > What is "vyhod" in Chapter 21 of Typikon: "Podobne zhe i svjatyh
        > > imushchih bdenie i polielej, i vyhod, i slavoslovie, i emuzhe ukazuet
        > > pesn' vo ustave na liturgii."?

        Well... I suppose that the Typikon here is reffering to the clergy that comes
        out from the altar' durring the Polyeleos. I this the "vyhod" refers here to
        that, according the order of the words "i polielej, i vyhod, i slavoslovie".

        Have a nice day,
        Michel.
      • Nikita Simmons
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Michel Englert <michel@...> wrote:

          > Nice Feast to all!
          >
          > > > What is "vyhod" in Chapter 21 of Typikon: "Podobne zhe i svjatyh
          > > > imushchih bdenie i polielej, i vyhod, i slavoslovie, i emuzhe
          ukazuet
          > > > pesn' vo ustave na liturgii."?
          >
          > Well... I suppose that the Typikon here is reffering to the clergy
          that comes
          > out from the altar' durring the Polyeleos. I this the "vyhod" refers
          here to
          > that, according the order of the words "i polielej, i vyhod, i
          slavoslovie".

          Sprazdnikom! Greetings on the feast of the Ascension!

          I must agree with Daniel Olson's remarks that this refers to the
          entrance at Great Vespers, not at the Litya (as I had previously
          suggested). I do know that after decades of working with Church
          Slavonic (mostly the pre-Nikonian books), there are numerous instances
          where the terminology is traditionally imprecise and unstandardized
          (especially in the Old Rite), often because the prefixes are so
          similar. The dichotomy between vkhod and vykhod (entrance and
          departure) is a classic example.

          Another example is the use of the terms pripev and zapev. Technically
          these should be a refrain which comes before and after a sticheron or
          troparion. (Pri- = before, za- = after) But in reality these terms
          have been used interchangeably. (And then there are the archaic forms
          of the word with the consonantal shift: pripev > pripel, just as the
          word for "ancient/old" mutates as drevne > drevle.)

          Nikita