Re: Wedding Crowns /Wreaths?

  • boulia_1
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Maria Armstrong <aaron-maria@...> wrote:
      we
      > ourselves wore crowns of flowers that now hang in our bedroom
      abover our
      > bed with the wedding icon in between them. A constant reminder that
      we
      > need to earn these crowns back.

      Maria -- I think that is a positively BEAUTIFUL idea -- we had two
      wedding icons and they are n our bedroom as well. But I like the idea
      of preserving the crowns (wreaths) and displaying them in private
      chambers... That's something you can't do if you use the church's
      crowns, though.

      When planning my (alas!) 2nd wedding, I told my parents I wanted it
      to be a wedding on the quiet side (that didn't happen!). I thought
      the groom and I should just to WEAR the crowns, instead of following
      the unique Russian custom of torturing close male friends and family
      members (by requiring them to bear the weight of the crown over the
      couple's heads, without bonking the bride or groom during the
      readings!). Along with producing a long guest list, my dear Mom
      adamently objected to the crown-wearing plan, reminding me that those
      crowns at the Synod look like they were designed from the logo for
      Imperial Margarine... She convinced me!!

      Maybe I'll try your suggestion on my niece, who's wedding later this
      year...

      elizabeth
    • Elizabeth Riggs
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2006
        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Meg Lark" <skovranok@...> wrote:

        > Glory to God for all things!
        >
        > [ml] Definitely a "Russian thing." Did anyone see "My Big Fat Greek
        > Wedding"? (Sorry, Panayotis, but that was a *great* description of the
        > Greek-American experience.) If so, do you remember the scene where the
        > grandmother brings out a box with pictures of herself and her
        husband, and
        > two wreaths? Those were her stephana, her wedding crowns, one for
        her and
        > one for her husband. And they showed the crowning with stephana
        when the
        > couple was married in the American Greek church, too.
        >
        > I don't know if they even have crowns in the Greek Church -- I've
        never seen
        > anything but stephana, the garland of flowers. So if you were
        worried that
        > your daughter was doing some kind of "hippie thing," Father, you can
        relax.
        > ;-)
        >
        > However, I can't help wondering why a bride from a Slavic tradition
        would
        > want stephana.
        >
        > In Christ,
        > Meg Lark

        I don't know about "stephana," but when DH and I were permitted a
        "Church" marriage (on our 20th anniversary!) we wore flower crowns -
        wonderfl, multifloral, multicolor - definitely "American" - not the
        all white, waxy-looking stephana flowers. This was in a ROCOR parish.

        Eldest DS and his wife, when he remarried, had flower crowns.

        Youngest DS and his wife had flower crowns. I really like them.

        We hung and dried ours, and I'm looking for the right kind of deep
        frame in which to keep them. We have our wedding Icons in our bedroom,
        also, and when we get the crowns framed we'll put them on the wall
        with the Icons.

        If you describe what you want, a good florist will make them for a
        very reasonable price - especially if it is part of a "package" deal
        for the wedding and reception.

        With Love in Christ,
        Elizabeth, the sinner
        and Perennial Student
      • Maria Armstrong
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2006
          I got married in an MP parish, our crowns were made of real flowers,
          mainly red and white.
          After they dried (I would suggest hanging them upside down to dry), I
          sprayed them with some kind of laquer/varnish and they hold up pretty
          well. We are still looking for deep frames too :-)
          They are easy to make yourself, as well. Wouldn't now how to explain
          that, but I am sure a book about wreath making can help there.
          maria.

        • stflaox@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2006
            In a message dated 3/5/2006 6:42:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            aaron-maria@... writes:
            We are still looking for deep frames too
            Hey All --
            The type of frame box you want is a keepsake frame box, very similar to the
            ones that memorial flags are kept in. If you goggle search ~keepsake frame
            box~ I'm fairly sure you will get several hits.
            Under the Mercy,
            Steph.

          • Deacon John Weir
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7, 2006
              Hi All,

              Entering this conversation rather late however I figured why not...

              Someone wrote that perhaps it is best to let the bride have her way
              for the sake of peace... It only seems like yesterday I was married
              but it is almost 10 years however as the husband to be I can
              remember at the time it was certainly less stressful to let my wife
              to do/have things she wanted... from my perspective I was over joyed
              she was going to marry me!!!

              On another point though... having spoken to a Greek priest not so
              long ago about crowns it is the custom in their parish (and from
              what I could tell probably the general rule of thumb here in
              Australia as there was no mention of flowers) to use crowns (not
              flowers) but in their case the crowns where not placed directly on
              the head but where held just above the head by the best man and
              matron of honour (hopefully they are the right terms but I am sure
              you will know what I mean)... we thought this was interesting (there
              as a few of us in the conversation)...

              Anyway Fr Vladimir that probably really doesn't help you but
              something interesting for the list to ponder...

              With Love in Christ!

              Deacon John