Re: HTM Pentecostarion

  • Deacon John Weir
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3 3:53 PM
      Hi All,

      Yes Archimandrite Kyril is totally correct it isn't complete I
      probably should have mentioned that apologies...

      I notice a couple of people mention not seeing it on the light-n-
      life site... if you put PENT200 into the "item number" search box it
      should come up (it does for me) although I didn't try to actually
      order it...

      Nathaniel, yes you are right I don't think there are any dedicated
      Orthodox book stores in Australia and if you couldn't find any in
      Melbourne then there probably isn't given the large Greek population
      we have in Melbourne... Some of our ROCOR parishes have reasonable
      bookstores and I suspect that the same could be said for the Greek
      Churches as well as once when I was in Melbourne for work and with a
      Greek friend of mine we stopped at a small chruch and I purchased a
      copy of The Ladder of Divine Ascent from one that had a small
      selection.

      I am in Brisbane at the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God parish in
      Rocklea so if you are ever up this way come say HI!!! Must say
      though our St Nicholas Cathederal has a pretty good book selection
      compared to ours as ours is primarily in Russian but they have a
      larger selection in both languages... anyway enough promotion of
      Brisbane Parishes!!!

      Theos mazi sou!

      Deacon John

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 4 5:43 PM
        Hi Carol,

        Thank you for the update on the SJOK Pentecostarion. I had no idea that
        Fr. Gregory was not well. I'll certainly remeber him in my prayers. He
        was very helpful to me when I wrote to him some 6 months back on what
        to obtain for my liturgical library.

        Nathaniel in Malaysia
      • natwoon
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 4 5:52 PM
          Dear Deacon John and all on the list,

          I only visited St. Nicholas, the Antiochian Orthodox parish in
          Melbourne and another Antiochian paris, St. George. I looked around and
          asked around. I was able to obtain many icons - some Greek in the
          street that's full of Greek shops and businesses(can't remember the
          name of it) as well as a few books. I was alos able to get some Russian
          icons - in the Anglican cathedral of all places!I have a friend in
          Brisbane and if I ever do come up to Queensland, I'll remember to say
          hello.

          I need the Pentecostarion for Sunday readings etc as of now so I guess
          the one for sale in Light and Life will be sufficient for now.

          Nathaniel in Malaysia
        • thearch
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 4 6:03 PM
            Have you tried http://www.anastasis.org.uk/pentecos.htm? There is a wealth
            of information there. I do not use the text, but I do use the site for
            reference material. This is an excellent site to get most of the material
            that you need, especially if you follow the Byzantine practices. I follow
            the Slavic practice and generally use the OCA translations for practical
            reasons.

            Reader Michael

            _____

            I only visited St. Nicholas, the Antiochian Orthodox parish in
            Melbourne and another Antiochian paris, St. George. I looked around and
            asked around. I was able to obtain many icons - some Greek in the
            street that's full of Greek shops and businesses(can't remember the
            name of it) as well as a few books. I was alos able to get some Russian
            icons - in the Anglican cathedral of all places!I have a friend in
            Brisbane and if I ever do come up to Queensland, I'll remember to say
            hello.

            I need the Pentecostarion for Sunday readings etc as of now so I guess
            the one for sale in Light and Life will be sufficient for now.

            Nathaniel in Malaysia

            Christian
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christian+country+music&w1=Christian+co
            untry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian
            +orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=xHCtu0hk4tlqvPxzZfrHUg> country music Christian
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christian+country+single&w1=Christian+c
            ountry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russia
            n+orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=U8crPpGrZOo07YTHMKgNWw> country single
            Russian
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Russian+orthodox+music&w1=Christian+cou
            ntry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian+
            orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=KHWebVVoNTlG3O969bUKtQ> orthodox music
            Russian
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Russian+orthodox&w1=Christian+country+m
            usic&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian+orthod
            ox&c=4&s=109&.sig=INZ78_I2Av0h4Dnd8rN0xg> orthodox

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            the web.

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            _____

          • natwoon
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 4 6:42 PM
              Dear Rdr. Michael,

              I have been to the site a few times before but would rather obtain a
              printed copy. I'm not very keen to print out from the Net. I do not
              have my own printer and will have to use my company printer to do
              that... Also, I prefer liturgical language, thus the questions about
              the HTM and SJOK translations.

              It's quite costly to have to obtain the book version especially with
              shipping charges etc but I don't see any alternative - but God
              supplies me with the whewithal to obtain the necessary.If I had come
              into Orthodxy earlier, I moght have already obtained the service
              books - I sojourned too long in the world of traditional
              Anglicanism - but becoming Orthodox has been worth everything I have
              had to put up with.

              --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "thearch" <thearch@...> wrote:

              > Have you tried http://www.anastasis.org.uk/pentecos.htm? There is
              a wealth
              > of information there. I do not use the text, but I do use the site
              for
              > reference material. This is an excellent site to get most of the
              material
              > that you need, especially if you follow the Byzantine practices. I
              follow
              > the Slavic practice and generally use the OCA translations for
              practical
              > reasons.
              >
              > Reader Michael
              >
              > _____

              Behalf Of

              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ustav> " on
              > the web.

              Service
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              >

              > _____

            • thearch
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 4 7:01 PM
                Not having;your own printer does make a tremendous difference. I happen to
                have a laser color printer and a laser monochrome printer, both with
                automatic duplexing. I also have an ink jet color printer (copier and
                scanner) and two other laser monochrome printers. Thus, even if the ink
                runs out on one printer, I have an alternative.

                I also am not keen on their translation, but I also do not liek the SJOK
                translations that I have seen.

                As far as using the net, I do it all the time. The quality of my final
                product rivals athose produced by some of the printing houses. I use the
                GBC binding (I have the equipment at home) and the sizes of my pages are 5.5
                x 8.5. For services like Baptism, Matrimony, and Panikhida, this is really
                convenient as the books fit easily in the pocket of my cassock. They also
                do not look unsightly as I serve on the altar. Many of the service books
                are in English and Church Slavonic and some are in English and Greek. Most
                of the Slavonic and Greek are downloaded from the Internet.

                Here is a sore point with some people. I use WordPerfect 12 because it
                allows me to do the booklet format with absolutely no fuss and it is
                generally very easy to import text from other software. I just finished a
                Psalter with Troparia and Prayers and soon I will change the font to 15
                points instead of 12 for use on a reader's stand and I will also put it into
                booklet format. The latter will take me about a minute to convert, but then
                I will check each page to make sure that I don't have headers at the bottom
                of the page and widows and orphans in the Psalms. This should take about
                30 minutes. Then I can go to print. The hard part is really cutting the
                pages and punching the holes. These two steps take almost as long as
                printing.

                By the way, anybody who has WordPerfect 6 DOS or later can use my files. I
                don't think that I use any codes that are not available in previous
                versions. Converting the booklet files to Word does not seem to work very
                well. At least, it has not when I tried it.

                Reader Michael

                _____

                I have been to the site a few times before but would rather obtain a
                printed copy. I'm not very keen to print out from the Net. I do not
                have my own printer and will have to use my company printer to do
                that... Also, I prefer liturgical language, thus the questions about
                the HTM and SJOK translations.

                It's quite costly to have to obtain the book version especially with
                shipping charges etc but I don't see any alternative - but God
                supplies me with the whewithal to obtain the necessary.If I had come
                into Orthodxy earlier, I moght have already obtained the service
                books - I sojourned too long in the world of traditional
                Anglicanism - but becoming Orthodox has been worth everything I have
                had to put up with.

                --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "thearch" <thearch@...> wrote:

                > Have you tried http://www.anastasis.org.uk/pentecos.htm? There is
                a wealth
                > of information there. I do not use the text, but I do use the site
                for
                > reference material. This is an excellent site to get most of the
                material
                > that you need, especially if you follow the Byzantine practices. I
                follow
                > the Slavic practice and generally use the OCA translations for
                practical
                > reasons.
                >
                > Reader Michael
                >
                > _____

                Service
                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                >

                > _____

                Christian
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christian+country+music&w1=Christian+co
                untry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian
                +orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=xHCtu0hk4tlqvPxzZfrHUg> country music Christian
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christian+country+single&w1=Christian+c
                ountry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russia
                n+orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=U8crPpGrZOo07YTHMKgNWw> country single
                Russian
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Russian+orthodox+music&w1=Christian+cou
                ntry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian+
                orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=KHWebVVoNTlG3O969bUKtQ> orthodox music
                Russian
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Russian+orthodox&w1=Christian+country+m
                usic&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian+orthod
                ox&c=4&s=109&.sig=INZ78_I2Av0h4Dnd8rN0xg> orthodox

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                the web.

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                _____

              • Stephen Parsons
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 5 12:59 PM
                  --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "thearch" <thearch@...> wrote:

                  > I use WordPerfect 12 because it
                  > allows me to do the booklet format with absolutely no fuss and it is
                  > generally very easy to import text from other software.

                  OpenOffice also does booklet format easily, which I used to use for my
                  monthly parish bulletin. It's free, multi-platform, and open source.
                  http://www.openoffice.org/ The only compatibility problem I've
                  experience personally is in reading Excel charts embedded in Word
                  documents; their backgrounds come out all black and thus unreadable,
                  so I have to rebuild them myself manually from the spreadsheet data
                  underlying the charts. Iirc, it worked fine for me when I had Russian
                  keyboard support installed, but I've never tried using it for anything
                  unusual like Slavonic. YMMV.

                  -- Stephen in NC (rdr Joseph)