HTM Pentecostarion

  • natwoon
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
      Dear all,

      Rdr. Vyacheslav suggested that I ask this question on the ustav list -
      Just to let everyone know where I am coming from, my background is
      Anglocatholicsm via evangelicalism. I became Orthodox in May 2004. I
      live 200 km from the nearest Orthodox parish in Singapore so I am
      working at getting some of the service books so that I can follow the
      readings on the days when I am unable to go down to Singapore.

      I am having trouble getting the Jordanville& SJOK publications as
      there are no distributors here in Malaysia.I am able to obtain the
      STS Horologion though. I am used to traditional religious English and
      would prefer the translations that use it.Would any one of you be
      familiar with the HTM edition of the Pentecostarion and has anyone
      made a purcahese recently? I know that the SJOK has a trial
      translation - I did see it on the site some time back but it's no
      longer listed on the site - would anyone know of other Pentecostarion
      translations in English. I think the HTM one is the only one in
      print.

      Any help or advice is most appreciated.

      Nathaniel in Malaysia
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
        Glory to God for all things! Nat Woon wrote:

        {I am having trouble getting the Jordanville& SJOK publications as
        {there are no distributors here in Malaysia.I am able to obtain the
        {STS Horologion though. I am used to traditional religious English and
        {would prefer the translations that use it.Would any one of you be
        {familiar with the HTM edition of the Pentecostarion and has anyone
        {made a purcahese recently? I know that the SJOK has a trial
        {translation - I did see it on the site some time back but it's no
        {longer listed on the site - would anyone know of other Pentecostarion
        {translations in English. I think the HTM one is the only one in
        {print.

        [ml] Yes, I had it for awhile when I was a member of a Greek parish. It
        uses liturgical English and is *very* complete, but also very expensive --
        $120 in U.S. funds -- and very heavy, mostly because it is beautifully bound
        and the typeface is quite large. Probably it's meant for use in church, but
        I don't see any reason why you shouldn't have it at home, if you can afford
        the price.

      • aplatanao@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
          I believe that Margaret might be thinking of the HTM Great Horologion. The
          Pentecostarion is a smaller book and less expensive, but it is out of print so
          finding it might be difficult. It has some errors, but I use it because it is
          metered for Byzantine chant.

          Romanos

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2006
            Glory to God for all things! Romanos wrote:

            > I believe that Margaret might be thinking of the HTM Great Horologion. The
            > Pentecostarion is a smaller book and less expensive, but it is out of
            print so
            > finding it might be difficult. It has some errors, but I use it because it
            is
            > metered for Byzantine chant.
            >
            > Romanos

            [ml] You're right, I apologize! I did have the Pentecostarion, too, though,
            and it was almost as heavy, with similar large type. And it *is* out of
            print. I understand Reader Isaac Lambertson is working on a new
            translation? (Like he didn't have enough to do already....)

            In Christ,
            Margaret
          • Deacon John Weir
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
              Hi,

              I use a Pentecostarion that I obtained from http://www.light-n-
              life.com... the catalogue number is PENT200... I am in Australia and
              they are in the US so I take it they can mail all over the world...
              we have used it when we have conducted an English Liturgy
              and found it to be ok. It is translated by a Mother Mary, when I
              made the purchase I assumed it (and still do) to be the same Mother
              Mary that has worked with Bishop Kalistos on the Festal Menaion and
              Lenten Tridion which is why I bought it... it is translated from
              Greek and Slavonic and includes All Saints of Russia in it...

              With Love in Christ

              Deacon John Weir

              --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Meg Lark" <skovranok@...> wrote:

              > Glory to God for all things! Romanos wrote:
              >
              > > I believe that Margaret might be thinking of the HTM Great
              Horologion. The
              > > Pentecostarion is a smaller book and less expensive, but it is
              out of
              > print so
              > > finding it might be difficult. It has some errors, but I use it
              because it
              > is
              > > metered for Byzantine chant.
              > >
              > > Romanos
              >
              > [ml] You're right, I apologize! I did have the Pentecostarion,
              too, though,
              > and it was almost as heavy, with similar large type. And it *is*
              out of
              > print. I understand Reader Isaac Lambertson is working on a new
              > translation? (Like he didn't have enough to do already....)
              >
              > In Christ,
              > Margaret

            • Philosoph Uhlman
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
                Deacon John,
                I am really glad that you posted this, I did not know that she had done a translation of the Pentecostarion. I think I need to get this.
                In Christ,
                Reader Philosoph
                > life.com... the catalogue number is PENT200... I am in Australia
                > and
                > they are in the US so I take it they can mail all over the
                > world...
                > we have used it when we have conducted an English Liturgy
                > and found it to be ok. It is translated by a Mother Mary, when I
                > made the purchase I assumed it (and still do) to be the same
                > Mother
                > Mary that has worked with Bishop Kalistos on the Festal Menaion
                > and
                > Lenten Tridion which is why I bought it... it is translated from
                > Greek and Slavonic and includes All Saints of Russia in it...
                >
                > With Love in Christ
                >
                > Deacon John Weir
                >
                > --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Meg Lark" <skovranok@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Glory to God for all things! Romanos wrote:
                > >
                > > > I believe that Margaret might be thinking of the HTM Great
                > Horologion. The
                > > > Pentecostarion is a smaller book and less expensive, but it is
                > out of
                > > print so
                > > > finding it might be difficult. It has some errors, but I use
                > it
                > because it
                > > is
                > > > metered for Byzantine chant.
                > > >
                > > > Romanos
                > >
                > > [ml] You're right, I apologize! I did have the Pentecostarion,
                > too, though,
                > > and it was almost as heavy, with similar large type. And it
                > *is*
                > out of
                > > print. I understand Reader Isaac Lambertson is working on a new
                > > translation? (Like he didn't have enough to do already....)
                > >
                > > In Christ,
                > > Margaret

              • natwoon
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Dear Margaret and Deacon John and all who replied,

                  Thanks for your help. I have no access to any of the books here and
                  really need advice on what's available. I've just made an online
                  purchase for the Lenten Triodion - I remember redaing soemwhere that
                  the texts are not complete though for some reason - can anyone shed
                  light on this?

                  BTW, Deacon John, I've looked at the light and life site earlier as I
                  went looking for sources for the Pentecostarion but it no longer lists
                  the Pentecostarion. I was in Melbourne in Dec 2004 looking for Orthodox
                  books but was more than a little dissapointed to hear that there was -
                  at that time - no Orthodox bookshop there. Where abouts in Australia
                  are you Deacon John?
                • natwoon
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Dear Deacon John,

                    You are correct - the Pentecostarion is available from Light and Life -
                    I stand corrected - I'll try to get a copy from them.
                  • bradley anderson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
                      To have the complete texts of the Triodion, you need two volumes. One is the Lenten Triodion translated by Bp. Kallistos and Mother Mary, in an excellent reprint from St. Tikhon's Seminary Press, containing the Sunday services and the more major weekday services. The other is the Supplement to the Lenten Triodion (same translators), available in a library quality binding from www.sjkp.org -- it contains most of the weekday services for Great Lent.

                      To these can be added two more "minor" volumes. The first is the Synaxarion of the Lenten Triodion and Pentecostarion, published by HDM Press, and available (among other places) from St. Isaac of Syria Skete. This contains the liturgical readings from the Lenten Triodion. Another is a small volume of additional texts from SJKP that contains a couple of minor items not found in the Lenten Triodion or Supplement.

                      The HTM Pentecostarion is out of print -- having tried hard to find a copy, either new or used, for our priest I can tell you that I have had no success. Fortunately, Br. Isaac Lambertsen's translation is excellent (and contains the Synaxarion readings, incidentally. A limited number of provisional editions were available last spring, and I understand that the results of that "field testing" are being worked into a polished first edition -- hopefully this spring, from SJKP.

                      natwoon <natwoon@...> wrote:
                      I've just made an online
                      purchase for the Lenten Triodion - I remember redaing soemwhere that
                      the texts are not complete though for some reason - can anyone shed
                      light on this?

                      BTW, Deacon John, I've looked at the light and life site earlier as I
                      went looking for sources for the Pentecostarion but it no longer lists
                      the Pentecostarion.

                    • Carol Surgant
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 2, 2006
                        bradley anderson <andersonbradley@...> wrote: Fortunately, Br. Isaac Lambertsen's translation is excellent (and contains the Synaxarion readings, incidentally. A limited number of provisional editions were available last spring, and I understand that the results of that "field testing" are being worked into a polished first edition -- hopefully this spring, from SJKP.

                        cas: I have been told by Fr. Gregory that the SJOKP Pentecostarion will not be ready to publish before this summer. Most "reviewers" with provisional copies did not get to use it for the entire Pentecostarion period last spring and he wants it to go through a complete cycle before making the final print. Please continue to remember Fr. Gregory in your prayers. He is currently recuperating from eye surgery and this difficulty has greatly hampered his work.

                        My general impressions of the SJOKP Pentecostarion are very good. We used it for several services last year.
                        The text reads very easily. For a glance at some of the text see the Ascension Canon online at: http://music.russianorthodox-stl.org/music/pentecostarion/ascension/AscensionCanonBakmetevLedkovsky053105.pdf

                      • Kyril Jenner
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                          > life.com... the catalogue number is PENT200... I am in Australia and
                          > they are in the US so I take it they can mail all over the world...
                          > we have used it when we have conducted an English Liturgy
                          > and found it to be ok. It is translated by a Mother Mary, when I
                          > made the purchase I assumed it (and still do) to be the same Mother
                          > Mary that has worked with Bishop Kalistos on the Festal Menaion and
                          > Lenten Tridion which is why I bought it... it is translated from
                          > Greek and Slavonic and includes All Saints of Russia in it...
                          >
                          > With Love in Christ
                          >
                          > Deacon John Weir

                          The Pentecostarion translated by the late Mother Mary is incomplete,
                          covering only the Sundays and Ascension.

                          Archimandrite Kyril Jenner
                        • Deacon John Weir
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                            Hi All,

                            Yes Archimandrite Kyril is totally correct it isn't complete I
                            probably should have mentioned that apologies...

                            I notice a couple of people mention not seeing it on the light-n-
                            life site... if you put PENT200 into the "item number" search box it
                            should come up (it does for me) although I didn't try to actually
                            order it...

                            Nathaniel, yes you are right I don't think there are any dedicated
                            Orthodox book stores in Australia and if you couldn't find any in
                            Melbourne then there probably isn't given the large Greek population
                            we have in Melbourne... Some of our ROCOR parishes have reasonable
                            bookstores and I suspect that the same could be said for the Greek
                            Churches as well as once when I was in Melbourne for work and with a
                            Greek friend of mine we stopped at a small chruch and I purchased a
                            copy of The Ladder of Divine Ascent from one that had a small
                            selection.

                            I am in Brisbane at the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God parish in
                            Rocklea so if you are ever up this way come say HI!!! Must say
                            though our St Nicholas Cathederal has a pretty good book selection
                            compared to ours as ours is primarily in Russian but they have a
                            larger selection in both languages... anyway enough promotion of
                            Brisbane Parishes!!!

                            Theos mazi sou!

                            Deacon John

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                              Hi Carol,

                              Thank you for the update on the SJOK Pentecostarion. I had no idea that
                              Fr. Gregory was not well. I'll certainly remeber him in my prayers. He
                              was very helpful to me when I wrote to him some 6 months back on what
                              to obtain for my liturgical library.

                              Nathaniel in Malaysia
                            • natwoon
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                                Dear Deacon John and all on the list,

                                I only visited St. Nicholas, the Antiochian Orthodox parish in
                                Melbourne and another Antiochian paris, St. George. I looked around and
                                asked around. I was able to obtain many icons - some Greek in the
                                street that's full of Greek shops and businesses(can't remember the
                                name of it) as well as a few books. I was alos able to get some Russian
                                icons - in the Anglican cathedral of all places!I have a friend in
                                Brisbane and if I ever do come up to Queensland, I'll remember to say
                                hello.

                                I need the Pentecostarion for Sunday readings etc as of now so I guess
                                the one for sale in Light and Life will be sufficient for now.

                                Nathaniel in Malaysia
                              • thearch
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                                  Have you tried http://www.anastasis.org.uk/pentecos.htm? There is a wealth
                                  of information there. I do not use the text, but I do use the site for
                                  reference material. This is an excellent site to get most of the material
                                  that you need, especially if you follow the Byzantine practices. I follow
                                  the Slavic practice and generally use the OCA translations for practical
                                  reasons.

                                  Reader Michael

                                  _____

                                  I only visited St. Nicholas, the Antiochian Orthodox parish in
                                  Melbourne and another Antiochian paris, St. George. I looked around and
                                  asked around. I was able to obtain many icons - some Greek in the
                                  street that's full of Greek shops and businesses(can't remember the
                                  name of it) as well as a few books. I was alos able to get some Russian
                                  icons - in the Anglican cathedral of all places!I have a friend in
                                  Brisbane and if I ever do come up to Queensland, I'll remember to say
                                  hello.

                                  I need the Pentecostarion for Sunday readings etc as of now so I guess
                                  the one for sale in Light and Life will be sufficient for now.

                                  Nathaniel in Malaysia

                                  Christian
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christian+country+music&w1=Christian+co
                                  untry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian
                                  +orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=xHCtu0hk4tlqvPxzZfrHUg> country music Christian
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christian+country+single&w1=Christian+c
                                  ountry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russia
                                  n+orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=U8crPpGrZOo07YTHMKgNWw> country single
                                  Russian
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Russian+orthodox+music&w1=Christian+cou
                                  ntry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian+
                                  orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=KHWebVVoNTlG3O969bUKtQ> orthodox music
                                  Russian
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Russian+orthodox&w1=Christian+country+m
                                  usic&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian+orthod
                                  ox&c=4&s=109&.sig=INZ78_I2Av0h4Dnd8rN0xg> orthodox

                                  _____

                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  the web.

                                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                  _____

                                • natwoon
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                                    Dear Rdr. Michael,

                                    I have been to the site a few times before but would rather obtain a
                                    printed copy. I'm not very keen to print out from the Net. I do not
                                    have my own printer and will have to use my company printer to do
                                    that... Also, I prefer liturgical language, thus the questions about
                                    the HTM and SJOK translations.

                                    It's quite costly to have to obtain the book version especially with
                                    shipping charges etc but I don't see any alternative - but God
                                    supplies me with the whewithal to obtain the necessary.If I had come
                                    into Orthodxy earlier, I moght have already obtained the service
                                    books - I sojourned too long in the world of traditional
                                    Anglicanism - but becoming Orthodox has been worth everything I have
                                    had to put up with.

                                    --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "thearch" <thearch@...> wrote:

                                    > Have you tried http://www.anastasis.org.uk/pentecos.htm? There is
                                    a wealth
                                    > of information there. I do not use the text, but I do use the site
                                    for
                                    > reference material. This is an excellent site to get most of the
                                    material
                                    > that you need, especially if you follow the Byzantine practices. I
                                    follow
                                    > the Slavic practice and generally use the OCA translations for
                                    practical
                                    > reasons.
                                    >
                                    > Reader Michael
                                    >
                                    > _____

                                    Behalf Of

                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ustav> " on
                                    > the web.

                                    Service
                                    > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                    >

                                    > _____

                                  • thearch
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                                      Not having;your own printer does make a tremendous difference. I happen to
                                      have a laser color printer and a laser monochrome printer, both with
                                      automatic duplexing. I also have an ink jet color printer (copier and
                                      scanner) and two other laser monochrome printers. Thus, even if the ink
                                      runs out on one printer, I have an alternative.

                                      I also am not keen on their translation, but I also do not liek the SJOK
                                      translations that I have seen.

                                      As far as using the net, I do it all the time. The quality of my final
                                      product rivals athose produced by some of the printing houses. I use the
                                      GBC binding (I have the equipment at home) and the sizes of my pages are 5.5
                                      x 8.5. For services like Baptism, Matrimony, and Panikhida, this is really
                                      convenient as the books fit easily in the pocket of my cassock. They also
                                      do not look unsightly as I serve on the altar. Many of the service books
                                      are in English and Church Slavonic and some are in English and Greek. Most
                                      of the Slavonic and Greek are downloaded from the Internet.

                                      Here is a sore point with some people. I use WordPerfect 12 because it
                                      allows me to do the booklet format with absolutely no fuss and it is
                                      generally very easy to import text from other software. I just finished a
                                      Psalter with Troparia and Prayers and soon I will change the font to 15
                                      points instead of 12 for use on a reader's stand and I will also put it into
                                      booklet format. The latter will take me about a minute to convert, but then
                                      I will check each page to make sure that I don't have headers at the bottom
                                      of the page and widows and orphans in the Psalms. This should take about
                                      30 minutes. Then I can go to print. The hard part is really cutting the
                                      pages and punching the holes. These two steps take almost as long as
                                      printing.

                                      By the way, anybody who has WordPerfect 6 DOS or later can use my files. I
                                      don't think that I use any codes that are not available in previous
                                      versions. Converting the booklet files to Word does not seem to work very
                                      well. At least, it has not when I tried it.

                                      Reader Michael

                                      _____

                                      I have been to the site a few times before but would rather obtain a
                                      printed copy. I'm not very keen to print out from the Net. I do not
                                      have my own printer and will have to use my company printer to do
                                      that... Also, I prefer liturgical language, thus the questions about
                                      the HTM and SJOK translations.

                                      It's quite costly to have to obtain the book version especially with
                                      shipping charges etc but I don't see any alternative - but God
                                      supplies me with the whewithal to obtain the necessary.If I had come
                                      into Orthodxy earlier, I moght have already obtained the service
                                      books - I sojourned too long in the world of traditional
                                      Anglicanism - but becoming Orthodox has been worth everything I have
                                      had to put up with.

                                      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "thearch" <thearch@...> wrote:

                                      > Have you tried http://www.anastasis.org.uk/pentecos.htm? There is
                                      a wealth
                                      > of information there. I do not use the text, but I do use the site
                                      for
                                      > reference material. This is an excellent site to get most of the
                                      material
                                      > that you need, especially if you follow the Byzantine practices. I
                                      follow
                                      > the Slavic practice and generally use the OCA translations for
                                      practical
                                      > reasons.
                                      >
                                      > Reader Michael
                                      >
                                      > _____

                                      Service
                                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                      >

                                      > _____

                                      Christian
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christian+country+music&w1=Christian+co
                                      untry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian
                                      +orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=xHCtu0hk4tlqvPxzZfrHUg> country music Christian
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christian+country+single&w1=Christian+c
                                      ountry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russia
                                      n+orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=U8crPpGrZOo07YTHMKgNWw> country single
                                      Russian
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Russian+orthodox+music&w1=Christian+cou
                                      ntry+music&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian+
                                      orthodox&c=4&s=109&.sig=KHWebVVoNTlG3O969bUKtQ> orthodox music
                                      Russian
                                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Russian+orthodox&w1=Christian+country+m
                                      usic&w2=Christian+country+single&w3=Russian+orthodox+music&w4=Russian+orthod
                                      ox&c=4&s=109&.sig=INZ78_I2Av0h4Dnd8rN0xg> orthodox

                                      _____

                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                      the web.

                                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                      _____

                                    • Stephen Parsons
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
                                        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "thearch" <thearch@...> wrote:

                                        > I use WordPerfect 12 because it
                                        > allows me to do the booklet format with absolutely no fuss and it is
                                        > generally very easy to import text from other software.

                                        OpenOffice also does booklet format easily, which I used to use for my
                                        monthly parish bulletin. It's free, multi-platform, and open source.
                                        http://www.openoffice.org/ The only compatibility problem I've
                                        experience personally is in reading Excel charts embedded in Word
                                        documents; their backgrounds come out all black and thus unreadable,
                                        so I have to rebuild them myself manually from the spreadsheet data
                                        underlying the charts. Iirc, it worked fine for me when I had Russian
                                        keyboard support installed, but I've never tried using it for anything
                                        unusual like Slavonic. YMMV.

                                        -- Stephen in NC (rdr Joseph)