Re: Exaltation of the Cross

  • Sergius Miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2005
      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Philip Silouan Thompson <himself@p...>
      wrote:
      > Due to circumstances beyond his control, our priest will need to
      be
      > away on the feast of the Exaltation of the Cross.
      >
      > I'll do great Vespers the night before, and Matins on the morning
      of
      > the feast, as reader services.
      >
      > I plan to do Matins in full, and I'll put the Cross on an
      analogion
      > for veneration in the middle of the church, as I would with a
      festal
      > icon. But we want to celebrate this service as fully as possible.
      I'm
      > wondering about the part of the service where the priest raises
      the
      > cross in four directions and the choir chants hundreds of Lord
      Have
      > Mercys. I assume that whole part of the service will have to be
      > skipped? Or is there a version of any of those prayers that's
      > appropriate for a reader service?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any insight!
      >
      > In Christ,
      >
      > Reader Silouan
      > Walla Walla, Washington

      Dear Silouan,

      Two points:
      1. This part of the services, i.e., the elevation of the Cross
      during the extended ektene, is in Russian usage usually only done in
      cathedrals.
      2. It is a litany; litanies are not done in reader services.

      Sergius
    • Nikita Simmons
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2005
        See this message on the Typicon list (from 2003):

        Nikita