Re: 'Slava Isusu Christu'

  • Michael Malloy
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "stephen_r1937" <stephen_r1937@y...> wrote:

      > From long ago I recall 'Slava Isusu Christu' and in season the
      special greetings for Pascha and Nativity exchanged among the
      first-generation Carpatho-Rusyn immigrants (also pious and
      working-class people). It never seemed pompous or strained. I don't
      know whether the Irish have retained the greeting and response on
      entering a house or for that matter a pub ('God bless all here.' 'God
      save you kindly.'), but I rather hope so. I don't recall hearing the
      *sacerdotal* greetings amongst lay people other than in English and in
      recent years.

      > Stephen

      You haven't lived until you hear 'Slava Isusu Christu' pronounced by a
      guy who can't make any Slavic sounds correctly and could care less
      whether he does or not.
      He's leading the choir in my parish now.

      Michael Malloy
      Columbus OH
    • stephanlh
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 8, 2005
        I believe the difference in approach to festal greetings reflects
        the differences of the Slavic Orthodox mindset in contrast with that
        of the Greek. The same thing can be said for vigils, etc. I used to
        think that the Greeks were not very traditional, but now I see it
        simply as they are not Slavs and therefore do not have the same
        traditions or way of doing things...Stephan in Ottawa

        --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, psomalis@h... wrote:
        > These types of special Christian greetings seem too pompous to
        me. As a child,
        > that grew up amongst pious yet labor class people, the only
        special greeting I
        > knew in that area of Athens was "Christ is risen" at Eastertide.
        My dad, when
        > asked how he is was, used to say "Glory to God; I am fine" and
        encourage me to
        > say "Glory to God" as often as I can as, in his own words, "that
        blinds the
        > devil".
        > I realize that people from other traditions have developed various
        special
        > greetings; yet using the sacerdotal greetings amongst lay people
        seems too much
        > to me.
        > Panagiotis
        >
        > Áñ÷éêü ìÞíõìá áðü "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@e...>:
        >

        > > Kirill Barth wrote:
        > >
        > > > As this greeting doesn't have any Sacramental usage, ie. it is
        not
        > > > the words that nessesary for transformation of bread and wine
        into
        > > > Body and Blood there is no Sacramental exclusivity for their
        use.

        > > JRS: Come now.
        > >
        > > The words "Kadilo tebe prinosim..." said over the censer to
        bless it, are
        > > also "not the words
        > > necessary for transformation of bread and wine into [the] Body
        and Blood" --
        > > but only a
        > > bishop or priest can bless the censer.
        > >
        > > The same could be said of the words "Blessed is our God..." at
        the beginning
        > > of various
        > > services. Yet a deacon is not allowed to say them; if there is
        no priest, the
        > > deacon begins an
        > > ordinary reader's service, with "Through the prayers of our holy
        fathers..."

        > > In Christ
        > > Fr. John R. Shaw
        > >

        > > Post message: ustav@yahoogroups.com
        > > Subscribe: ustav-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > >
        > > More ustav information and service texts:
        > > http://www.orthodox.net/ustav
        > > http://www.orthodox.net/services
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • celeste englehardt
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 13, 2005
          > Dear All,
          Does anyone have the Kontakion for the Holy Maccabean Martyrs for this
          weekends service? I'm at home and don't have a Menaion handy to look
          it up. I need to type it up for the choir to sing.

          Thanks,
          Nebesna
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 13, 2005
            Glory to God for all things! Celeste Englehardt wrote:

            {Does anyone have the Kontakion for the Holy Maccabean Martyrs for this
            {weekends service? I'm at home and don't have a Menaion handy to look
            {it up. I need to type it up for the choir to sing.

            [ML:] From the Menologion site:

            Kontakion of the Holy Maccabees Tone 6
            O ye seven pillars of the wisdom of God,/ ye seven-branched candlestick of
            the Divine Light,/ ye were great martyrs before the time of the martyrs,/ O
            supremely-wise Maccabees./ Wherefore, together with them pray to the God of
            all/ that those who venerate you may be saved.

            In Christ,
            Meg
          • celeste englehardt
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 13, 2005
              Meg,
              Is it Tone 6 or Tone 2? I've received 2 answers so far ... Same words
              different Tone!
              Thanks again,
              Nebesna

              On Aug 13, 2005, at 1:20 PM, Meg Lark wrote:

              > Glory to God for all things!  Celeste Englehardt wrote:
              >
              > {Does anyone have the Kontakion for the Holy Maccabean Martyrs for
              > this
              > {weekends service?  I'm at home and don't have a Menaion handy to look
              > {it up.  I need to type it up for the choir to sing.
              >
              > [ML:] From the Menologion site:
              >
              > Kontakion of the Holy Maccabees    Tone 6
              > O ye seven pillars of the wisdom of God,/ ye seven-branched
              > candlestick of
              > the Divine Light,/ ye were great martyrs before the time of the
              > martyrs,/ O
              > supremely-wise Maccabees./ Wherefore, together with them pray to the
              > God of
              > all/ that those who venerate you may be saved.
              >
              > In Christ,
              > Meg

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > ▪  Visit your group "ustav" on the web.

              > Service.

            • Fr. John Whiteford
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 13, 2005
                It is tone 2 in the Jordanville Liturgy Book, the Velikij Sbornik,
                and the Great Horologion by Boston.

                --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, celeste englehardt <nebesna@v...> wrote:
                > Meg,
                > Is it Tone 6 or Tone 2? I've received 2 answers so far ... Same
                words
                > different Tone!
                > Thanks again,
                > Nebesna
                >
                > On Aug 13, 2005, at 1:20 PM, Meg Lark wrote:
                >
                > > Glory to God for all things!  Celeste Englehardt wrote:
                > >
                > > {Does anyone have the Kontakion for the Holy Maccabean Martyrs
                for
                > > this
                > > {weekends service?  I'm at home and don't have a Menaion handy
                to look
                > > {it up.  I need to type it up for the choir to sing.
                > >
                > > [ML:] From the Menologion site:
                > >
                > > Kontakion of the Holy Maccabees    Tone 6
                > > O ye seven pillars of the wisdom of God,/ ye seven-branched
                > > candlestick of
                > > the Divine Light,/ ye were great martyrs before the time of the
                > > martyrs,/ O
                > > supremely-wise Maccabees./ Wherefore, together with them pray to
                the
                > > God of
                > > all/ that those who venerate you may be saved.
                > >
                > > In Christ,
                > > Meg
                > >

                > > Post message: ustav@yahoogroups.com
                > > Subscribe: ustav-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > >
                > > More ustav information and service texts:
                > > http://www.orthodox.net/ustav
                > > http://www.orthodox.net/services
                > >

                > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                > >
                > > ▪  Visit your group "ustav" on the web.
                > >
                > > ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                > >
                > > ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                Terms of
                > > Service.

              • celeste englehardt
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 13, 2005
                  Thank you to all!

                  Nebesna

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 13, 2005
                    Glory to God for all things! Fr. John says Tone 2 -- I'd go with that. The Menologion program I have is useful for the words, but I'd trust his sources above a mere computer program. ;-)

                    In Christ,
                    Meg

                    {
                    {On Aug 13, 2005, at 1:20 PM, Meg Lark wrote:
                    {
                    {> Glory to God for all things! Celeste Englehardt wrote:
                    {>
[...]
                    {[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    {
                    {
                    {
                    {
                    {
                    {Post message: ustav@yahoogroups.com
                    {Subscribe: ustav-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    {
                    {More ustav information and service texts:
                    {http://www.orthodox.net/ustav
                    {http://www.orthodox.net/services
                    {
                    {Yahoo! Groups Links