Re: [ustav] Digest Number 1692

  • srbmillerr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:40:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      ustav@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Who is supposed to read the Prok. at Pres. and from where?
      > I assume, the Prok. before the Epistle and Gospel are done as on Sundays?
      > Why does the Deacon or Pries say the Prok. on Sat. but not on Sundays? At
      > least that it what we do.
      > Thanks,
      > maria.

      Dear Maria,
      No Typikon or other service book (in my recollection) assigns the prokeimenon
      at any service to the priest or deacon. It is the common Russian usage to
      have the deacon or the priest do the prokeimenon at Vespers & Matins. BUT it is
      usual to have the reader of the OT lessons do the prokeimena at the
      Vespers/Presanctified just as at the Divine Liturgy. The reader does the prokeimena
      from the same place as the lessons.

      Sergius

      Sergius

    • Maria I Armstrong
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
        Where are the lessons supposed to be read from? :-)
        Our readers read them from the kliros but this doesn't seem 'correct' to
        me.
        They used to read the Prok. from the kliros for Liturgy on Sunday as
        well...
        maria.

        On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 07:09:52 EST srbmillerr@... writes:
        In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:40:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        ustav@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > Who is supposed to read the Prok. at Pres. and from where?
        > I assume, the Prok. before the Epistle and Gospel are done as on
        Sundays?
        > Why does the Deacon or Pries say the Prok. on Sat. but not on Sundays?
        At
        > least that it what we do.
        > Thanks,
        > maria.

        Dear Maria,
        No Typikon or other service book (in my recollection) assigns the
        prokeimenon
        at any service to the priest or deacon. It is the common Russian usage
        have the deacon or the priest do the prokeimenon at Vespers & Matins.
        BUT it is
        usual to have the reader of the OT lessons do the prokeimena at the
        Vespers/Presanctified just as at the Divine Liturgy. The reader does the
        prokeimena
        from the same place as the lessons.

        Sergius

      • Sergius Miller
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Maria I Armstrong <aaron-maria@j...>
          wrote:

          Maria,
          Usually from the center of the nave. We also use a protable reading
          stand for the lessons.

          Sergius

          > Where are the lessons supposed to be read from? :-)
          > Our readers read them from the kliros but this doesn't
          seem 'correct' to
          > me.
          > They used to read the Prok. from the kliros for Liturgy on Sunday as
          > well...
          > maria.
          >
          > On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 07:09:52 EST srbmillerr@a... writes:
          > In a message dated 3/31/2005 11:40:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > ustav@yahoogroups.com writes:
          >
          > > Who is supposed to read the Prok. at Pres. and from where?
          > > I assume, the Prok. before the Epistle and Gospel are done as on
          > Sundays?
          > > Why does the Deacon or Pries say the Prok. on Sat. but not on
          Sundays?
          > At
          > > least that it what we do.
          > > Thanks,
          > > maria.
          > >

          > Dear Maria,
          > No Typikon or other service book (in my recollection) assigns the
          > prokeimenon
          > at any service to the priest or deacon. It is the common Russian
          usage
          > have the deacon or the priest do the prokeimenon at Vespers &
          Matins.
          > BUT it is
          > usual to have the reader of the OT lessons do the prokeimena at the
          > Vespers/Presanctified just as at the Divine Liturgy. The reader
          does the
          > prokeimena
          > from the same place as the lessons.
          >
          > Sergius