Choir Cues: Sunday of the Holy Fathers; Sunday Before the Nativity of Christ 31 Pentecost 2004 20 Dec 04/ 2 Jan 05

  • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2004
      DISCLAIMER: Please review these materials for typos and just plain old mistakes! My
      spell-checker won't catch some words that are misusages (like bare for bear).

      This is a "special" service.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for all Temples. No adjustments are necessary.

      If you have any comments or questions, please contact me.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to ensure all on the Choir
      Cues list receive the corrections in a timely fashion! :-)

      With Love In Christ,
      Elizabeth Riggs, the sinner
      ewriggs@...

      20 December 2004 / 2 January 2005

      31st SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST
      (Tone 6)

      Sunday Readings:
      Hebrews 11:9-11, 17-23, 32-40 Matthew 1:1-25
      Forefeast of Nativity
      Sunday before Nativity
      Sunday of the Holy Fathers
      Hieromartyr Ignatius the God-bearer, bishop of Antioch; Repose of Righteous John of
      Kronstadt; St. Philogonius, bishop of Antioch; St Daniel II, archbishop of Serbia; St.
      Ignatius, archimandrite of the Kiev Caves; NewMartyr John of the Isle of Thasos.
      Repose of Anthony, arthbishop of Voronezh and Zadonsk (1846) and Metropolitan
      Philaret of Kiev (Theodosius in schema) (1857).

      NOTE: Beginning this day and until the Apodosis of Theophany, we do not chant the
      canon to the Theotokos from the Octoechos at Little Compline. We also do not read the
      interhours. At matins, we do not read three kathismata on weekdays, and we do not
      sing the Polyeleos on Sundays.

      According to the Typicon, we serve a vigil for the Fathers.

      NOTE: The service for the Sunday before the Nativity is a "special" service. It does not
      change much from year to year - just the Troparia on the Beatitudes and the
      Resurrectional Troparion will change each year for the tone of the week. You may wish
      to save this service as a template for future years. There will only be major differences if
      the Eve of the Nativity falls on this Sunday.

      Reader and Choir Cues

      Hours: 3rd Hr: Troparia: Resurrection; Glory . . . of the Fathers
      Kontakion: of the Fathers
      6th Hr: Troparia: Resurrection; Glory . . . Forefeast (Tone IV: Make ready O
      Bethlehem... From the service on 20 December)
      Kontakion: Forefeast (Tone III - Today the virgin ... from the service
      on 20 December)

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      12 Troparia: 4 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Fathers; 4 from Ode 6 of the
      Forefeast

      Remember me, my God and Saviour, when Thou comest into Thy Kingdom and save
      me as Thou alone lovest mankind.

      Through the wood of the Cross Thou hast saved again Adam who was beguiled by the
      tree and the thief as he cried aloud: Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

      O Giver of Life, having broken the gates and chains of hell, Thou, Saviour, hast made
      all men rise crying aloud: Glory to Thy Resurrection.

      Do Thou Who hast by Thy burial and Thy Resurrection despoiled death, and filled all
      things with joy, remember me as Thou art compassionate.

      Faithfully preserving the glory of the image and likeness of God, with the fire of the
      Spirit the children, as champions, extinguished the fire of the golden image, chanting:
      We know but one Lord!

      The captive children, clothed with the wisdom and power of the Spirit, put to shame the
      wise men of Babylon and boldly cried out: None is holy save Thee, O Lord Who lovest
      mankind!

      The law doth rejoice and joineth chorus with the children and the prophets and doth
      exult today before the divine advent of the Lord. And Abraham doth rejoice, for from his
      seed hath the incarnate Lord appeared.

      A conception without pain, an acceptance of thy birthgiving hath transpired in manner
      beyond recounting, O Theotokos, for the Word of God, Who is God and was
      proclaimed by the prophets, hath shown Himself to be a mystery beyond nature.

      O Mistress, as a new heaven thou dost come, that Christ, the Sun of glory, might shine
      forth in the flesh from thy womb, as through a cloud, in the cave; for, in His boundless
      loving-kindness, He desireth splendidly to illumine all who are of this earth with rays of
      His own light.

      O Mistress, as a new heaven thou dost come, that Christ, the Sun of glory, might shine
      forth in the flesh from thy womb, as through a cloud, in the cave; for, in His boundless
      loving-kindness, He desireth splendidly to illumine all who are of this earth with rays of
      His own light.

      Thou didst perceive our infirmity and misery, O compassionate Christ, and didst not
      disdain us; but, without leaving the Father, Thou didst abase Thyself and make Thine
      abode in the womb of her who knew not wedlock, who now cometh forth to give birth
      unto Thee, without pain, in the cave.

      Ye mountains and hills, fields and vales, people and generations, nations and every
      creature: exult, filled with divine gladness, for the deliverance of all, the Word of God,
      the Timeless One, Who in His loving-kindness hath come under time, doth come with
      haste.

      Troparion of the Resurrection
      (Tone 6)
      Angelic Hosts were above Thy tomb, / and they that guarded Thee became as dead. /
      And Mary stood by the grave / seeking Thine immaculate Body. / Thou didst despoil
      Hades and wast not tempted by it. / Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant us life. /
      O Thou who didst arise from the dead, // O Lord, glory be to Thee.

      Troparion of The Fathers
      (Tone 2)
      Great are the achievements of faith! / In the fountain of flame, as in refreshing water, /
      the Three Holy Children rejoiced. / And the prophet Daniel proved a shepherd of lions
      as of sheep. // By their prayers, O Christ God, save our souls.

      Troparion of the Forefeast
      (Tone 4)
      Make ready, O Bethlehem, / Eden hath been opened unto all. / Prepare, O Ephratha, /
      for the Tree of life hath blossomed in the cave from the Virgin. / For her womb proved to
      be a spiritual paradise wherefrom there came the Divine Plant, / whereof eating we shall
      live and not die like Adam. // Christ is born to raise the image that fell of old.

      Glory . . .

      Kontakion of the Fathers
      (Tone 6)
      O thrice-blessed ones, who did not honor an image wrought by hands, but were
      defended by the indescribable Essence, ye were glorified in your ordeal by fire; and
      standing in the midst of unbearable flame, ye called upon God, saying: Speed Thou and
      make haste to our aid, O Compassionate One, in that Thou art merciful; for what Thou
      willest, Thou canst do!

      Both Now . . .

      Kontakion of the Forefeast
      (Tone 3)
      Today the Virgin cometh to the cave to give birth ineffably to the Word Who was before
      the ages. Dance, O earth, at the message! Give glory with the angels and shepherds
      unto Him Who was willing to be gazed upon as a young child and is pre-eternal God.

      The Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone
      (Hymn of the Fathers)

      Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, / and praised and glorified is thy
      name unto the ages.

      Vs/: For righteous art Thou in all which Thou hast done for us.

      Epistle: (Hebrews 11:9-11, 17-23, 32-40)

      Brethren: By faith Abraham sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country,
      dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: *
      For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God * By
      faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the
      promises offered up his only begotten son. * Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall
      thy seed be called: * Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead;
      from whence also he received him in a figure. * By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau
      concerning things to come. * By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the
      sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff. * By faith Joseph,
      when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave
      commandment concerning his bones. * By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid
      three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were
      not afraid of the king's commandment. * And what shall I more say? for the time would
      fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also,
      and Samuel, and of the prophets: * Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought
      righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, * Quenched the
      violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong,
      waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. * Women received their
      dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they
      might obtain a better resurrection: * And others had trial of cruel mockings and
      scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: * They were stoned, they were
      sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in
      sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; * (Of whom the world
      was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of
      the earth. * And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the
      promise: * God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not
      be made perfect.

      Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
      Reader: And to thy spirit.

      The Alleluia in the 4th Tone
      (PAUSE before first verse)

      O God, with our ears have we heard, for our fathers have told us.

      Vs/: For Thou hast saved us from them that afflict us, and them that hate us hast Thou
      put to shame.

      Gospel: (Matthew 1:1-25)

      The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. *
      Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren;
      * And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom
      begat Aram; * And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson
      begat Salmon; * And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth;
      and Obed begat Jesse; * And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat
      Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias; * And Solomon begat Roboam; and
      Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa; * And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat
      begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias; * And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat
      Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias; * And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat
      Amon; and Amon begat Josias; * And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about
      the time they were carried away to Babylon: * And after they were brought to Babylon,
      Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel; * And Zorobabel begat Abiud;
      and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor; * And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc
      begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud; * And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat
      Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob; * And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of
      whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ. * So all the generations from Abraham to
      David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are
      fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen
      generations. * Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary
      was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the
      Holy Ghost. * Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her
      a publick example, was minded to put her away privily. * But while he thought on these
      things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph,
      thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in
      her is of the Holy Ghost. * And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name
      JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. * Now all this was done, that it
      might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, * Behold, a virgin
      shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel,
      which being interpreted is, God with us. * Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as
      the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: * And knew her not till
      she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

      Communion Verse

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest. (Ps. 148:1)

      Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.

      Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

      Dismissal