Paul of Amoreon

  • Cezar Login
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
      Dear list members,

      I have a question concerning Paul of Amorium, who is the author of the
      Thetokos stichera at Lord I have cried... on Saturday evenings in the
      Slavonic Octoechos.

      Can you help me with some bibliographical information? I have a suspicion
      that he is the same person with Paul Evergetinos, the one who wrote the
      first prayer to the Theotokos from the Compline service. I might be wrong.

      Thank you.

      Cezar

    • Daniel Olson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
        on 12/2/04 2:30 PM, Cezar Login at cezarcl@... wrote:

        > I have a question concerning Paul of Amorium, who is the author of the
        > Thetokos stichera at Lord I have cried... on Saturday evenings in the
        > Slavonic Octoechos.
        >
        > Can you help me with some bibliographical information? I have a suspicion
        > that he is the same person with Paul Evergetinos, the one who wrote the
        > first prayer to the Theotokos from the Compline service. I might be wrong.

        Skaballonovich (in Part 2 of his "Tolkovyj Tipikon", page 119) states that
        Paul of Amorium was the founder and hegumen of the Evergetides Monastery,
        who reposed in 1054.

        Daniel Olson
      • Cezar Login
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
          Thank you Daniel!

          Are there other liturgical texts composed by Paul beside the vesper stichera
          and the Compline prayer. I don't remember seeing other text ascribed to him.
          All I remember is that I found a part of his Saturday evening stichera in
          other places of the Octoechos, as GBN stichera on weekdays of the
          corresponding tones.

          Are also any knowledge about Paul's of Amorium formation and life before
          founding the monastery?

          Thank you again.

          Cezar

          _____

          > I have a question concerning Paul of Amorium, who is the author of the
          > Thetokos stichera at Lord I have cried... on Saturday evenings in the
          > Slavonic Octoechos.
          >
          > Can you help me with some bibliographical information? I have a suspicion
          > that he is the same person with Paul Evergetinos, the one who wrote the
          > first prayer to the Theotokos from the Compline service. I might be wrong.

          Skaballonovich (in Part 2 of his "Tolkovyj Tipikon", page 119) states that
          Paul of Amorium was the founder and hegumen of the Evergetides Monastery,
          who reposed in 1054.

          Daniel Olson

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mh2bat/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
          plch/S=1705023525:HM/EXP=1102103144/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http:/www.n
          etflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=grplch/S=
          :HM/A=2434971/rand=545350078>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Cezar Login
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
            Skaballonovich (in Part 2 of his "Tolkovyj Tipikon", page 119) states that
            Paul of Amorium was the founder and hegumen of the Evergetides Monastery,
            who reposed in 1054.

            CL: Based on this information, I looked inside the DO Foundation Document,
            and I found that Paul died on the 16th of April, and that he let as a
            successor monk Timothy, the one who wrote the Typikon.

            C.